Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this misconception everyone has about grinders being pushers? This is the biggest load of shallow bollocks I have ever heard/read in my life!

Grinders, particularly on clay, often look to open up the angles of the court using their topspin forehand, this then enables them open space to hit into on their next ball, once their opponent is stranded / struggling for court-position. A grinder is not someone whom simply pushes the ball back into the court, they construct points, look at Robredo as an exmaple, many have seen him play, does he appear to push the ball back into play?

The perfect definition of a grinder in tennis is someone whom is able to effectively weigh up the balance between risk and reward. This often consists of a player playing the percentages (Going deep, cross-court with net-clearance) and only really taking risks when the odds are in their favour for not missing. There otherwise they are always looking to get a good depth/length on the ball, whilst finding their opponents backhand an added bonus (Or whichever is the weaker shot) All this is done with margin-for-error. They often opt for going cross-court more than anything, as there's more distance to travel for the ball and giving them larger gap to hit into. Going down the line narrows your targets and requires a bit more precision and timing.

Being able to construct a point, doesn't mean a player is not a grinder. lol

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
57,595 Posts
I agree with what you said here and I never said that :facepalm: if this is in response to me. I said Sousa should try to grind Cuevas down instead of just bashing, which is not remotely the same thing- and that Andujar is nothing near a grinder as people seem to assume he is due to being Spanish.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Grinders, particularly on clay, often look to open up the angles of the court using their topspin forehand, this then enables them open space to hit into on their next ball, once their opponent is stranded / struggling for court-position. A grinder is not someone whom simply pushes the ball back into the court, they construct points, look at Robredo as an exmaple, many have seen him play, does he appear to push the ball back into play?
Bingo. /thread

This is why Ray and Ferrer make people mad a lot of the time--they do "A" much more than "B"

Balance...

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with what you said here and I never said that :facepalm: if this is in response to me. I said Sousa should try to grind Cuevas down instead of just bashing, which is not remotely the same thing- and that Andujar is nothing near a grinder as people seem to assume he is due to being Spanish.
I'm not seeming to assume he is because he is Spanish mate, I am seeming see from his game that he just is. I just don't get how you can think of him as anything, but other?

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bingo. /thread

This is why Ray and Ferrer make people mad a lot of the time--they do "A" much more than "B"

Balance...
I'm lost. Are you insinuating Murray and Ferrer play the percentages a lot more than they take educated risks during points?

You're a joker man. Explain your point with clarity!

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
there are grinders out there, pure ones

I agree its nonsense when someone calls out Nadal as a grinder on clay or someone like him, as he does work with the angles very strategically to open up spots

but Simon for example- watch him on clay and it's nightmarishly grinding tennis- doesn't take risky shots or try to open angles just hits it 5 feet in front of the baseline over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I'm lost. Are you insinuating Murray and Ferrer play the percentages a lot more than they take educated risks during points?

You're a joker man. Explain your point with clarity!
Like you says, it seems they're not constructing points a lot of the time...

·
Registered
33,355 Posts

I agree its nonsense when someone calls out Nadal as a grinder on clay or someone like him, as he does work with the angles very strategically to open up spots

but Simon for example- watch him on clay and it's nightmarishly grinding tennis- doesn't take risky shots or try to open angles just hits it 5 feet in front of the baseline over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
Pushmon certainly was grinded vs Nadal in Rome lol.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts

Looks like you have watched Rome 2014 Simon-Nadal.
Simon had 2x winners.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

lol

Sweetheart, you just basically played up to the myth. You believe grinders are pushers. :facepalm: Nevermind. You're cool.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like you says, it seems they're not constructing points a lot of the time...
Ferrer is certainly constructing.

Murray prior to Llendl was throwing in all sorts of random junk and different variations in/of pace etc.

Some may refer to this as pushing, some not.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An aggressive baseliner who borderline bashed with his forehand at times in the past.
Grinders are players that dictate with their forehand a lot of the time, but they don't dictate through power, they dictate through placement and angle. Going semi-aggressive, DEEP, with net clearance into the big open spaces.

Monaco, Robredo, Ferrer... these guys, they all do this.

Being slightly aggressive with the forehand, doesn't mean you aren;t a grinder, that is the make up to grinders game, running around the backhand and opening up angles with the forehand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts