Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short video honoring Duckhee Lee, probably everyone knew this but Duckhee was born deaf. Must be SO hard to play like this; i mean for him it shouldn't be that hard to adjust since he doesn't know the other side of it.. but still, 100% respect for him. I really hope he can somehow come back to his performance back in 2016-2017 where he almost hit Top 100.

As always thanks for the support and see you!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Saw him play a few times. Puts up stunning results sometimes but then disappears, inconsistent results. Seems to be a pattern with the best Korean players - Chung, Hyung Taik Lee...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Saw him play a few times. Puts up stunning results sometimes but then disappears, inconsistent results. Seems to be a pattern with the best Korean players - Chung, Hyung Taik Lee...
Not Yen-Hsun Lu!

The undisputed atp challenger GOAT. 😎

most titles ever. 😎

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Must be tough for him with everyone wearing masks. Can’t read lips.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
That match v Sinner was great. He did well and Sinner really pushed him to play great tennis. But I think Lee was blown away by Sinner's play, I remember be looked at his box and smiled like "what the hell is this level?".

The problem for Lee is he is obviously not big and his serve is not great. He is a great baseline player when he is playing well but his game is quite one-dimensional. If he's not confident and hitting well then he finds it difficult for him to find other strategies to win.

I think he is not completely deaf, can still hear loud noises.
yeh when sounds are very loud he said he can barely hear and feel vibrations. He can't hear in any meaningful way though. He speaks Korean like you would expect a deaf person who can't hear what they're saying to.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
He's not 100% deaf tho. Had some good results on HC a few years ago, but no idea what happened to him (I'm guessing injuries).

Yannick Hanfmann is also partly deaf. It's definitely a disadvantage when it comes to hearing calls and the sound from the opponent's racket (good players know what kind of ball is coming to them depending on it right away and especially if there was a mishit), but with big crowds and lots of noise and talking in the stands it could be an advantage too.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
He's not 100% deaf tho. Had some good results on HC a few years ago, but no idea what happened to him (I'm guessing injuries).

Yannick Hanfmann is also partly deaf. It's definitely a disadvantage when it comes to hearing calls and the sound from the opponent's racket (good players know what kind of ball is coming to them depending on it right away and especially if there was a mishit), but with big crowds and lots of noise and talking in the stands it could be an advantage too.
The level of deafness is not really comparable though between Hanfmann and Lee. Hanfmann can talk and have a normal conversation with ease. He might just not hear if you try to talk to him from far away and you gotta speak loudly. Lee can hear extremely little; those who know him well can understand him when he talks, but he talks exactly how you would expect a deaf person to talk who can't his own voice or others, so it's hard to make out what he's saying. Lee can understand some people in Korean by lip reading but communicating basically becomes impossible with the umpires. It gets awkward cos he trys to argue or express frustration with umpires and he can't. I guess it's more awkward for the umpire. But Lee can't hear calls and I think I remember in one match that the umpire asked the other player to signal to Lee if there's a let call.

However, I agree that in Lee's case it has some advantages in not being distracted by the crowd and it might take some pressure off. At the same time it's nice to feel the crowd and people clapping and cheering for you and he may miss out on that. The top players do react with their ears and we react quickest to sound but it's interesting cos it's all he's used to so I wonder how much that affects him.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The level of deafness is not really comparable though between Hanfmann and Lee. Hanfmann can talk and have a normal conversation with ease. He might just not hear if you try to talk to him from far away and you gotta speak loudly. Lee can hear extremely little; those who know him well can understand him when he talks, but he talks exactly how you would expect a deaf person to talk who can't his own voice or others, so it's hard to make out what he's saying. Lee can understand some people in Korean by lip reading but communicating basically becomes impossible with the umpires. It gets awkward cos he trys to argue or express frustration with umpires and he can't. I guess it's more awkward for the umpire. But Lee can't hear calls and I think I remember in one match that the umpire asked the other player to signal to Lee if there's a let call.

However, I agree that in Lee's case it has some advantages in not being distracted by the crowd and it might take some pressure off. At the same time it's nice to feel the crowd and people clapping and cheering for you and he may miss out on that. The top players do react with their ears and we react quickest to sound but it's interesting cos it's all he's used to so I wonder how much that affects him.
This whole thing gives me an idea, maybe ATP should think about it - create some kind of built in button in shorts/shirt that if you press hard or tapped 2 times, it signals to the umpire you want hawk eye. Could be some other technology like a bracelet or something else, but it would take out the late hawk eye requests or the arguments when umpires say "You were too late" and players say "I raised my hand right away", etc. In Duckhee Lee's case, the technology could have other options such as messages showing on the umpire's display like "WTF WAS THAT?", "Do your job!", etc.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Yes Lu is from Taiwan. Lu was a pretty steady consistent player, his ranking did not fluctuate wildly.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
This whole thing gives me an idea, maybe ATP should think about it - create some kind of built in button in shorts/shirt that if you press hard or tapped 2 times, it signals to the umpire you want hawk eye. Could be some other technology like a bracelet or something else, but it would take out the late hawk eye requests or the arguments when umpires say "You were too late" and players say "I raised my hand right away", etc. In Duckhee Lee's case, the technology could have other options such as messages showing on the umpire's display like "WTF WAS THAT?", "Do your job!", etc.
All a player has to do is raise his hand, and often times they don't even do that - they just basically just look at the umpire and nod. Duckhee can do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts