Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Australian men's No. 1 Alex de Minaur will miss the Australian Open after being unable to recover from a nasty abdominal strain.
The 20-year-old, who reached the third round at Melbourne Park in 2019, battled through the ATP Cup before withdrawing from this week's Adelaide International.
De Minaur had undergone daily treatment in order to be fit for the Australian Open, however on Thursday afternoon he confirmed he would miss his first Grand Slam main draw since Wimbledon, 2017.


Sad for the Aussies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,177 Posts
So he killed his AO campaign to get to 6-4 5-7 against Big Xisca's trophy husband in ATP Cup.

Hewitt choosing him for doubles over Peers just got even more scintillating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Hewitt choosing him for doubles over Peers just got even more scintillating.
The ATP Cup this year was probably too special for him not to play at 120% in a total self-sacrificing mode no matter what Hewitt or anyone else did or said to him, but yes, that decision by Hewitt to pick him over Peers was a pretty stupid one regardless.

And the strain sounds pretty serious. Might take a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,539 Posts
Must be a massive bummer for him. Although it's impossible to say whether it was Hewitt who pushed him over the edge or was it Alex himself, who was eager to play for his country in his home town. Maybe overexertion was a well calculated risk and they assumed (perhaps rightfully) he'd achieve bigger success in team competitions than at AO. Otherwise, this is a prime example of how to not pick one's battles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Because of this incident, he will probably be 'smarter' and not overplay the ATP cup next year/next time

Players watching this will be aware this ATP Cup....the risk and sacrifice will potentially ruin the AO campaign

And like Nadal praised him a few days ago smirking on his face: "He plays with a lot of passion – sometimes too much..." - True.

Poor him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,613 Posts
What a shame.

Just as he was at career-best form, so far. A QF was not out the question.

And people tried to downplay Nadal's 23-milimeter tear at the '09 USO, hah!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,383 Posts
Wishing him speedy recovery, and everything has been said in the thread why this happened.
Better luck next year!
 

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
Joined
·
52,366 Posts
Because of this incident, he will probably be 'smarter' and not overplay the ATP cup next year/next time

Players watching this will be aware this ATP Cup....the risk and sacrifice will potentially ruin the AO campaign

And like Nadal praised him a few days ago smirking on his face: "He plays with a lot of passion – sometimes too much..." - True.

Poor him
oh course the tough aspect is he was drawn with very tough teams and had to field as the no.1 Aussie (rather than Nick). Zverev, Shapovalov and Evans are a tough trio of opponents to face. I'm not surprised because this also happened to Kei when he played Monte Carlo in 2018. Beat Berdych, Medvedev, Seppi, Cilic, Zverev to reach the final, with four three set matches. After the tournament he had to retire midmatch in Barcelona.

Nadal can do this to you. Why try to please the Nadal haters and risk your health?
it may have been a factor (or the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back) but I'd say it was a culmination of tough matches rather than a single match in isolation. All the ones he played at ATP cup were 3 sets, and the Evans one lasted 3.5 hours, then Hewitt got him to play doubles with Kyrgios shortly after that gruelling match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
Shame, he evolved decently since the last year, sporting and subsequently dumping the "Hitler"-look in the process...
Too bad for Aussies, their biggest hope is now a talented but unreliable clown, who pushes you into moral dilemmas whether you should root for him at all...

 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top