Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tsonga-Pospisil followed by Raonic-Benneteau will be Day 1's matches. I predict a split on day 1 then a very interesting doubles match with Pospisil-Nestor and Llodra-Benneteau. Then on Sunday it will be Tsonga-Raonic and Monfils-Pospisil. I have France 3-2. Give me your thoughts.

I will find Guy Forget and kill him if it comes down to the fifth rubber and he doesnt play Monfils.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
I'd be a bit surprised if Monfils played on Sunday, but I'm not sure they'll need him to beat Vasek anyway.

I'll say Tsonga over Pospisil, Raonic over Benneteau, Nestor/Pospisil over Llodra/Benneteau, Tsonga over Raonic, Benneteau over Pospisil.

3-2 France. Bet it comes down to the final match, though.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I'd be a bit surprised if Monfils played on Sunday, but I'm not sure they'll need him to beat Vasek anyway.

I'll say Tsonga over Pospisil, Raonic over Benneteau, Nestor/Pospisil over Llodra/Benneteau, Tsonga over Raonic, Benneteau over Pospisil.

3-2 France. Bet it comes down to the final match, though.
I agree with your predictions about the first 3 matches, but Sunday's matches, I don't know. Either could go either way.

I'm going for 3-2 Canada :worship:

Go Canada Go!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I like both teams here. Both teams have entertaining players who have nice games.
I'll root for the Canadians here simply because the winner will face the winner of USA/Switzerland in the next round (hopefully the Swiss win).
The Swiss would have an away tie in the quarters anyway but it's easier to play Canada away than France, also because the tie is straight after Miami so Roger doesn't need to take a long flight from Miami to the Canadian city (which also means a maximum of 3hrs of jet lag instead of 6 when playing in France). Generally I think playing France away is one of the worst draws you could get this year. Tsonga, Monfils, Llodra, Benneteau and also Simon are great indoor players who could beat anybody (including Roger and of course Wawrinka) on their day.

But I'm going for a 3-2 for France here.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like both teams here. Both teams have entertaining players who have nice games.
I'll root for the Canadians here simply because the winner will face the winner of USA/Switzerland in the next round (hopefully the Swiss win).
The Swiss would have an away tie in the quarters anyway but it's easier to play Canada away than France, also because the tie is straight after Miami so Roger doesn't need to take a long flight from Miami to the Canadian city (which also means a maximum of 3hrs of jet lag instead of 6 when playing in France). Generally I think playing France away is one of the worst draws you could get this year. Tsonga, Monfils, Llodra, Benneteau and also Simon are great indoor players who could beat anybody (including Roger and of course Wawrinka) on their day.

But I'm going for a 3-2 for France here.
I think Roger and Stan would enjoy playing in France because its relatively close to where they live even as you mention the jetlag.

·
Registered
179 Posts
if france does actually play bennetau instead of monfils, ill go with france winning 3-2. raonic to beat bennetau and canada to win the doubles.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Popsicle was more than a bit underwhelming last week.

Canucks need Raonic x2 and the doubles, surely. Not impossible with Monf out of rubber1, and Tsonga has often struggled mentally playing against giant servers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Obviously I want Canada to win but this is going to be really, really tough. I am looking really forward to it, especially to see how Raonic does against Tsonga if the Sunday match means anything.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
If it's 2-1 or 1-2 to France, Tsonga will probably clown it away against Raonic and disappoint his own country in an eventual 2-3 or 1-3 loss :(.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
It is not going to be easy. I think it will be 1-1 tomorrow. Good chance for doubles. Then it can go either way on Sunday. Of course, I am hoping Canada to win. No matter what happens, I will be there the whole time to cheer and pull for our team.

Go Canada Go.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
It is not going to be easy. I think it will be 1-1 tomorrow. Good chance for doubles. Then it can go either way on Sunday. No matter what happens, I will be there the whole time to cheer and pull for our team.
Don't worry, you guys will win. France is one of the worst mug DC teams ever. And to cap it off, you guys have it on the hometurf at the Thunderbird SC (I've been there before ;)).

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't worry, you guys will win. France is one of the worst mug DC teams ever.
Monfils wont clown it up though if he gets to play in the final rubber this is the one place along with any tournament in France that he does well in. I mean he is 5-1 in DC rubbers with wins over Nalbandian, Ferrer, and Tipsarevic. I love Jo but he hasnt done much in DC so far.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Obviously, I'm cheering for Canada too. Milos has a great chance against Bennetau and can give Tsonga some worries. Pospisil tends to play his best tennis against higher-ranked players, beating Chela and Isner and holding his own against Federer last year. I'd say France is the favourite (and with four likeable, entertaining players) but my fingers are crossed for the Canucks!!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Monfils wont clown it up though if he gets to play in the final rubber this is the one place along with any tournament in France that he does well in. I mean he is 5-1 in DC rubbers with wins over Nalbandian, Ferrer, and Tipsarevic. I love Jo but he hasnt done much in DC so far.
Incredibly frustrating to rely on Monfils and Tsonga to deliver in ANY general circumstances, is all I'm saying :(:(.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Incredibly frustrating to rely on Monfils and Tsonga to deliver in ANY general circumstances, is all I'm saying :(:(.
No shit :eek:. So fucking annoying when they lose to mugs like Kukushkin and Nishikori is a good player but Jo in no way shape or form should lose to him in five sets. I broke everything in my house when Monfils lost to Ferrero at the USO after he pushed Djokovic in Cincy.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
No shit :eek:. So fucking annoying when they lose to mugs like Kukushkin and Nishikori is a good player but Jo in no way shape or form should lose to him in five sets. I broke everything in my house when Monfils lost to Ferrero at the USO after he pushed Djokovic in Cincy.
Yep, tell me about those losses :eek:. Sometimes I'd like to blurt out that -- You can pretty much bet a million bucks on Raonic beating Tsonga, and I'd be stupid not to :eek:.

And Monfils...in general...is just :eek:.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Kei beat J-W at AO ... it gives me hope.
You should bet a million bucks on Raonic defeating Tsonga, should it come to that match. It's a wise choice buddy.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Day one will be split 1-1. Day two canada should win the doubles. On day three canada has a good chance of winning one of the two matches. On a fast court Raonic might beat Tsonga and/or popsicle might beat benneteau.

Canada 3-2 in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts