Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came back in the second set and pretty much dominated the third and fourth. He was serving well, was making less errors and dictating points with his one-handed backhand. Raonic looked rusty though.

Still a carreer win for Amir, now this tie gets interesting.

·
28,789 Posts
In terms of Canada, we are still exactly where we wanted to be after day one, just got there a bit differently.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
I think the doubles will be decisive

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Weintraub really just overwhelmed Raonic with his energy and took total momentum after the second set. Milos wasn't sharp, but that was to be expected being out so long.

Canada is still slight favorites, because Sela is playing like shit, and Milos should be better with a match under his belt. Pospisil is probably the favorite over Weintraub should they play. Canada needs to win the doubles more than Israel to hold momentum away from the Israeli's and their crowd.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I like Andy-Yoni's chances, Nestor is playing without a regular partner, they're strong at home, and we expect a full house.

Plus, I like Amir's chances against Pospi on Sunday.

·
28,789 Posts
I like Andy-Yoni's chances, Nestor is playing without a regular partner, they're strong at home, and we expect a full house.

Plus, I like Amir's chances against Pospi on Sunday.
Amir had never beaten a player in the top 150 before today, I find it quite unlikely that he would do it twice in one weekend.

I just wish that when Canada hosts Davis Cup, their fans would be as umm "crazy" as Israel's fans.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
He beat Dudi last year, in Israel's Open Championship.

Popsi isn't exactly a top 20 players, it's DC, we're playing at home, Popsi worked very hard today - he has more than a chance.

And check out his stats, he served 75% for the match, 8 aces, 18 service winners. Had 34 UFE to 56 winners. Those are some good stats, it wasn't a mugs match out there.

And stop whining about the Israeli fans, Djoko had to deal with worse stuff in the US Semis, and that was not DC.

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
I don't think I'd ever seen Milos sweating as much as in this match -- and that was just in the first set! :eek: He looked so tired, and also unfocused. It seems like it will take a while for him to become match fit. Though I read something about him being sick (food poisoning?) so maybe that's a factor.

Not to take anything away from Weintraub -- he played really well. Just saying I don't remember ever seeing Milos look so worn out.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I didn't see the match but I'm glad Milos Raonic is back playing again. He was really shaking up the top of men's tennis at the start of the season. Hopefully he can finish the rest of 2011 without further setbacks :yeah:

·
Your visions will happen
48,641 Posts
I love Davis Cup :cool:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Amir had never beaten a player in the top 150 before today, I find it quite unlikely that he would do it twice in one weekend.

I just wish that when Canada hosts Davis Cup, their fans would be as umm "crazy" as Israel's fans.
Canadians can be just a crazy. Here in Calgary I went to a couple of ties and we were making alot of noise in that tiny Stampede Corral, especially that tie against Brazil.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
No, I love it. They are great.
I like the loud crowds as well. It sure beats playing in Ecuador when there was only like 100-300 people in the crowd.

I guess Milos isn't 100% after the food poisoning that grabbed him this week.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I'm stunned. Raonic dropping his match to Weintraub, a guy of that top 200 caliber. I thought it could happen to a player like Sela but Weintraub?

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
This is the first match Milos has played since Wimbledon, isn't it?

·
Registered
29,237 Posts
Raonic clearly not in any form, but I'm very happy for Amir. What a win. :hug:

·
Registered
179 Posts
i cant believe it! after the way pospisil plays to put canada up, beating dudi sela, raonic couldn't beat someone ranked outside the top 200??

i think the doubles will be decisive as well. i see the last two singles being split with raonic losing to sela and pospisil beating the other guy

who do u guys think has the stronger doubles team?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts