1rst Singles : Ivan Ljubicic
2nd Singles : Mario Ancic
Doubles : Goran Ivanisevic/Ivan Ljubicic

USA:
1rst Singles : James Blake
2nd Singles : Mardy Fish
Doubles : James Blake/Todd Martin

My Prediction:

Croatia def. USA 4-1 or 3-2 (Blake will get the US all of its points, but won't be able to win three straight best of three matches on carpet against big servers)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I'm going with Croatia as well.

I suspect Blake can win both of his matches, but I'm not positive how good he is on carpet...?

As for Mardy - my opinion of him is pretty swayed, seeing as the last time I saw him play he acted like a5 year old ;)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I read that Patrick was going to play Mardy and James - James I understand... but why aren't they taking a gamble on Dent?

Isn't he higher ranked then Mardy? That, and he is best on fast surfaces....

I guess perhaps they don't want to play him since he hasn't played yet this year?

·
Registered
370 Posts
rebecca, James said that indoors is his best surface as he played a lot of the times on it at college. However i'm not convinced he's the greatest returner and he's liable to hit the backfence.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I suspect Croatia will be able to pick on the US's second player and seize the doubles, but I actually hope that the US can win somehow - simply because the prospect of a quarterfinal in Spain would be quite a sight to see. Sheer torture for the Americans, and a sniff of revenge on Roddick for Corretja.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I suspect Croatia will be able to pick on the US's second player and seize the doubles, but I actually hope that the US can win somehow - simply because the prospect of a quarterfinal in Spain would be quite a sight to see. Sheer torture for the Americans, and a sniff of revenge on Roddick for Corretja.
Although I likely wouldn't get coverage, the most enjoyable part of this for me would be hearing the US commentators RAVE about Roddicks AMAZING record against Spaniards - how he can just DOMINATE them because his game matches up so well against them (seeing as they are the same player, all several hundred of them).

Then hearing what they come up as he plays any of Moya, Ferrero, Corretja, or Costa, in Spain on clay :eek:

For what it is worth. he does have a hard court win against Moya. This was Montreal 2001. Moya actually had a match point but lost :mad: He also has some wins over Corretja, as you implied.

Funny enough though, his first US Open ended in a 4 sets first round loss to Costa.

Yet the commentators somehow seem to ignore the fact that MOST of Roddicks wins against Spaniards has came against Robredo, Vincinte, and another player who's name is slipping my mind at the moment..

Not to say that isn't impressive (granted, with the exception of Robredo, has he beat any of them on clay?) - but it will look rather idiotic when they boast about this before the DC tie ;)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I believe Calatrava is the name you're looking for - and Roddick did beat him on clay in the first round of Rome last year. A fair achievement considering that Alex took out Agassi in the opening round the year before, but he's not exactly top-drawer material.

It's notable that Roddick has beaten the Spaniards with less of a power game who rely more on consistency off the ground and they have nearly all been on hardcourts which favour his game over theirs (although Robredo has officially become his whipping-boy, as he's lost to Roddick on all four Grand Slam surfaces without winning a single set).

I do hope a Ferrero/Roddick match-up happens sometime soon, as he's the only top Spaniard Andy hasn't played. Methinks he might get a lesson in what constitutes a good forehand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Croatia have such a strong team. It never dawned on me. I have faith in Blake to pull out his matches, but besides that, it's not going to be a walk-over, IF we win.

I forgot to say, Blake is very confident in doubles. So think the doubles will go the distance. I really don't know the last time I saw Martin play. This is very good

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sjengster said:
I believe Calatrava is the name you're looking for - and Roddick did beat him on clay in the first round of Rome last year. A fair achievement considering that Alex took out Agassi in the opening round the year before, but he's not exactly top-drawer material.

It's notable that Roddick has beaten the Spaniards with less of a power game who rely more on consistency off the ground and they have nearly all been on hardcourts which favour his game over theirs (although Robredo has officially become his whipping-boy, as he's lost to Roddick on all four Grand Slam surfaces without winning a single set).

I do hope a Ferrero/Roddick match-up happens sometime soon, as he's the only top Spaniard Andy hasn't played. Methinks he might get a lesson in what constitutes a good forehand.
Calatrava! I remember him. Yes, he was a good player. He definitely could have been a top clay-courter. What happened to him?

I think Robredo and Roddick had quite the rivalry in juniors. I don't know what happened. In fact their matches were always hyped by the commentators.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Todd Martin wasn't called to be on the team, so it will most likely be Blake/Fish in the doubles match, making both guys play 2 singles and the doubles.

I really, really, REALLY want the US to win (because, as some of you have already mentioned, I want to see Spain kick their asses on clay :D) or else we lose all Davis Cup coverage for the year :fiery:

Now, as to whether they can or not . . . I don't know. I think Blake can do it. He's a very good doubles player and his confidence has grown in his singles play in DC. I don't think Croatia is going to blow them out of the water by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Why does everyone want to see the US lose so much on clay?
Since you missed it the first time, and I have no interesting of typing it out again:

Although I likely wouldn't get coverage, the most enjoyable part of this for me would be hearing the US commentators RAVE about Roddicks AMAZING record against Spaniards - how he can just DOMINATE them because his game matches up so well against them (seeing as they are the same player, all several hundred of them).

Then hearing what they come up as he plays any of Moya, Ferrero, Corretja, or Costa, in Spain on clay

For what it is worth. he does have a hard court win against Moya. This was Montreal 2001. Moya actually had a match point but lost He also has some wins over Corretja, as you implied.

Funny enough though, his first US Open ended in a 4 sets first round loss to Costa.

Yet the commentators somehow seem to ignore the fact that MOST of Roddicks wins against Spaniards has came against Robredo, Vincinte, and another player who's name is slipping my mind at the moment..

Not to say that isn't impressive (granted, with the exception of Robredo, has he beat any of them on clay?) - but it will look rather idiotic when they boast about this before the DC tie
I might add to that, that seeing Spain get "pay back" for grass is very sweet for fans of the Spanish team. Just as I suspect if I was a fan of the American team, I would like playing Spain on grass.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
It would be even funnier if the US somehow went on to win it, with Blake's forehand outpowering Ferrero's and Roddick grinding out a win against Corretja on clay, lol.

Possibly not too good for the reputation of the Spanish on the tour, though - they'd be laughed all the way off the court by their Argentine counterparts, who at least have the decency to lose to Roddick on North American hardcourts most of the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts