Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was my first day volunteering at Rogers Cup Canada. Afraid that I wouldn't get to work on time for my 9.00 a.m. shift, I got onto the subway at 7.00 a.m. and ended up getting there 45 minutes early - arriving at the same time as my supervisor and thus achieving 'brown-noser' status in one fell swoop.

Since this is my first year volunteering at the tournament, I was pretty clueless, unfortunately it's my supervisor's first year in Customer Service, so he was just as clueless as I was. I had no idea where I was supposed to be - it was an unmarked shuttle bus drop off point that I walked past 3 times. Fun.

Things started off nice and slow with 4 or 5 people trickling off the buses and me pointing the way to the Main Entrance; by 11.00am though, I was sick and tired of repeating "Good morning! The Main entrance is the white tent over to your left and tickets are at the stand right behind me!" - and I only had 4 more hours of this to look forward to.

There was a minor crisis when I realised that the other two girls working with me were going off at 1.00 pm and my shift would continue to 3.00pm with no break and no lunch - my supervisor forgot to give me my lunch voucher. Crisis was averted however, and I was able to return to my monotonous job with a slightly more realistic smile.

With the scorching sun (beautiful day, my ass) beating down upon me, people started to line up for the shuttle buses to take them back to where they were parked. Things were incredibly disorganised, with bus drivers arbitrarily deciding to stop their buses at different stops and with lined up people missing their buses. Thankfully, at the very height of this mess, my shift ended, and I got to go have a little fun.

Walking around the grounds as a volunteer is awesome. With my red shirt, pass badge and a smile, I can go almost anywhere I like with no interference (damn locker room security!). The hot male volunteers don't mind flirting with you (I mean you, blond American Express Stand boy :drool: ); old ladies smile benevolently your way and more experienced volunteers offer you doughnuts - true story!

Anyway, the rest of my afternoon was spent very satisfyingly, getting to watch Federer practice with Srichaphan and later with Juan Carlos Fererro,
Nadal with ToJo, Nalbandian with Massu, Hewitt with his trainer, Gaudio and Grosjean :). I also got to drift around and watch the qualies - I caught the first set of Russell vs. Spadea (and Vinnay was not ice-cold; he looked uncomfortable and ended up losing the match); Mahut vs. Nunez was much more entertaining. Seeing the qualifiers play really brings home how little of a difference there is technically between players at the bottom and top of the top 100. The quality of tennis was quite high.

Anyway, after a very long, tiring, sunburnt, but satisfying day, I come here to unload my soul and relate my story to you. Hope you enjoyed it!

·
Banned
14,727 Posts
What would happen if you said "Mediocre morning"?

Glad you had a good time after your shift was over! Tell me, how was the Mahut match? I heart Mahut, you see. :inlove:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts