Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All due out within the end of 2012. Hewitt will want to represent Australia in the Olympics and make one more appearance in Melbourne. I think Haas is done and I think Blake might hang it up after the open. For me, definitely Rusty. His flare and excitement for the game was something. A true underdog story, he overcame a lot of obstacles to become world #1 and a dominant force at one time. After that I'll probably miss Blake and Gonzo the most just because they really played with no fear and you just don't see any young players who grip it and rip it like those 2.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I don’t believe I’m saying this but I’ll go for Hewitt only because unlike the others he evokes strong emotions…he fell in the love/loath category but most people weren’t indifferent to him ... tennis needs characters like that

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
all but Blake.

and, i'm not racist.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Gonzalez, Haas and Hewitt. They all have a way of showing some fire on court and this reminds me of the good old days of tennis. Don't see it too often nowadays.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have to agree. Hewitt has really left a mark on the game.

That he's also achieved the most out of the group listed is actually incidental. Even this year at Wimbledon against Soderling, there's something about a Hewitt match that simply captivates you as a viewer.

Everyone else on the list is roughly the same level and seems to be more of personal preference. For me, I'd probably miss Davydenko the most. Mainly because the other players have been MIA for long periods of time whereas Davydenko is that guy who is generally in week in and week out. When he won WTF and loving the attention at the subsequent Australian Open, there was something about all his work paying off in that way that will stick with me.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
5 years ago I would have said Blake. 10 years ago Nalby. I will sad to see Denko and Nalby leave but not any more than the rest of them. Now it's definitely Hewitt. He used to be the disrespectful punk/bad boy but as his career winds down has matured into one of the players with the biggest heart on the court that tennis has ever seen. I will be very sad to see Lleyton go.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Honestly, they are all playing like in retirement mode already so the impact of when they really hang it up won't hurt as much. Probably will miss Davydenko the most just because of his pure ball-striking ability, the best since kafelnikov.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Generational shift, well each of them had their own particular qualities on the court.

PMK - The timing and crispness of the hitting when he was at his peak. Didn't think initially he'd make the top 10, but when he first made the AO quarters playing this style. He backed it up for a few years.

Gonzalez - Yes, he had plenty of dodgy antics, but the forehand was a thing of brutality, yes so much angle and spin when needed.

Haas - All court game, sexy backhand, very injury prone and the mental fragility couldn't overcome.

Hewitt - The backhand topspin lob, the fact he loved being hated the more you booed, the more he liked it. Very courageous player.

Nalbandian - When motivated played very thoughtful tennis used all the angles. Also the fact he didn't bother with cliches when he speaks.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Nalbandian

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Hewitt in his prime he was great to watch. He gave everything he had. The other players are good but Lletyon was great.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
depressing for the sport to see such names on the list of people possibly on the way out
Yeah :sad:

You can probably add Ferrero to the list, although he might play another year. It'll be a shame to lose these guys, great players, guys who won slams or were considered contenders for big events. ATP tour won't be the same without Gonzo's monster forehand or Fat Dave jokes.

They all had different personalities and they all brought something different to the game, and you don't seem to see that kind of thing with this newer generation. Soderling was looking good to take up the bad boy spot after RG09, but that didn't last long.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
1 - Nalbandian
2 - Davydenko
3 - Blake
4 - Haas

I won't miss the rest, especially Hewitt

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
A bunch of wacky funsters who all had something to sorely miss. Feña's forehand and crazy attack spirit, Hasi's backhand and craft, Nalbi's sudden flashes of genius no matter how poor of a match he's playing, Blake as the best at blasting the ball to smithereens, Kolya's entire game with the textbook stuff and his handcrafted touch as well as his underrented wit :)lol:), Hewitt's tenacity and thievery of the Vicht, etc etc...

Good times...

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Gonzalez, Blake for their big forehands

Davydenko for his nifty footwork and ability to take on the ball early

Haas/Hewitt for their fighting spirit and ability to challenge top players even after all the injury problems

Nalbandian for recommending good restaurants and fast-food joints wherever he played

Think I'm going to miss Davydenko the most. Such talent and his decline was a bit fast. I thought he had more left in the tank for this season and didn't start off bad. Guess time caught up with him

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
In order. In fat place :lol:, I mean first place: Nalbandian, the man who loved burgers more than tennis.
2: Davydenko' the man who should have reached at least one major final.
3: Haas, a poor man's Federer with a lovely all court game.
4: Gonzo, the man with the golden gun.
5: Blake, one word to describe the guy. Ballbasher.
As for Hewitt I will say this, Good riddance.

·
Banned
3,761 Posts
only Davydenko because of his matches vs Nadal :)

1 - 20 of 125 Posts