Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davydenko AO-10 vs. Nadal AO-2009

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nikolay was very unlucky - when he was on fire he always faced Federer in QF-SF at hard court slams. And still, those battles at AO-06 and 10 are very memorable.
I think his AO-06-07-10 version would destroy his Manacorian pigeon in straights

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
I remember this match vs Federer. Didnt Davy absolutely dominate Federer early in the match?

On topic: Davy in 4 as he's kinda a bad matchup for Nadal, H2H proves that.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Nadal in a tight 4 sets.

Funnily enough, I imagine this hypothetical matchup would be similar to how Federer vs Davydenko AO 2006 went. You can interpret what I meant by that.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Davy choked at the AO10 against Fed, probably would have done the same against Rafa09, if he would have gotten into a winning position in the first place that is.

I know Davy is s worse match up for Rafa, certainly on HC, but AO09dal was also better than AO10erer.

Rafa in 4 or 5.

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts
Davydenko was leading a decent playing Federer and keep in mind that matchup wise, Fed's a much harder opponent for Kolya.

Nikolay in 4.

Reactions: blackwell

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Davydenko knows how to play Nadal, but he folds down in decisive instances at slams, while Nadal is the opposite. Hard to call but I go with Davydenko. If it was USO 2010 I'd say Nadal.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

·
29,645 Posts
Nadal in spite of the bad match-up probably grinds him down in 4/5. Verdasco GOATed and yet still ball after ball came back at him. Although Nikolay defends better than him so could turn round points Nadal was on top in better than Verdasco could.

If Davydenko was mentally decent I could see him win a match like this too, but you know how frail he is from his Federer chokes in slams.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
He had the tools to beat him but he would choke imo.

AO 2010 Davydenko beats AO 2010 Nadal of course.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Um-- Going into AO 2010 Davydenko had beaten Nadal three times in a row, two of them being in finals and the other one in a must-win match at the WTF. In Doha, he basically handed Nadal a one set head start with a bagel and still came back saving two match points en route. There's no way after that he could be nervous playing Nadal on a hard court, especially in Australia where he had his first successes in his career (first title and first slam QF).

First set AO 2010 QF was one of the highest levels of tennis ever seen from one player against Federer. The highlights don't do the match justice.

Davy handed out a bagel in every match leading up to Verdasco in R16. Came out of that 5-setter with a ton of confidence. He meant business. Even after disappearing in sets 2 and 3, the battle in set 4 had everyone on the edge of their seats, even the commentators were saying that it was the craziest match they've ever seen.

I think only Federer could have made Davy mentally break down in that match. Nobody on the other side of the net was taking him down that tournament.

As for Nadal 09, that's a tough one. I think there was little that Davydenko enjoyed more on a tennis court than being able to play Nadal on a big stage. Think about the Miami final. Think about the Shanghai final. The World Tour Final. The Doha Final. Verdasco also brought Nadal to 5 sets in AO 09. Granted, he played a much higher level that year than against Davydenko in AO10, but still, why wouldn't Davy, at the peak of his confidence and the level he played in the first and fourth sets against Fed, why wouldn't he be able to go just one step further, considering his matchup advantage?

I think it's totally plausible Davy takes this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts