Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a Davis Cup thread, but I would have thought that there would have been some discussion about this by now, but obviously not.

https://www.daviscup.com/en/news/292780.aspx

The full draw is as follows:

2019 Qualifiers (1-2 February)

Brazil (c) v Belgium (s)
Uzbekistan (c) v Serbia (s)
Australia (c) (s) v Bosnia/Herzegovina
India (c) v Italy (s)
Germany (c) (s) v Hungary
Switzerland (c) (s) v Russia
Kazakhstan (s) v Europe/Africa Nation TBC
Czech Republic (c) (s) v Netherlands
Colombia (c) (*) v Sweden (s)
Austria (c) (s) v Chile
Canada (s) v Europe/Africa Nation TBC
China, P.R. (c) v Japan (s)

(s) denotes seeded nation
(c) denotes choice of ground
(*) denotes choice of ground determined by lot
Croatia, France, Spain and the USA as 2018 DC WG semi-finalists and WC recipients Argentina and Great Britain are already assured places in the 18 nations final.

What do you think?
Good or bad for tennis?
Will the top players (Federer, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Thiem, Kyrgios, Goffin, Raonic, etc) play?
Discuss.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there's any way Djokovic or Federer will play this so close after AO.
Unless they go out early, but that's unlikely. I don't see many top players playing this round at all.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
I can imagine Thiem playing for Austria. That guy is like a perpetuum mobile when he's not injured.

Other than that I've no idea. Don't see Federer playing, that's for sure. I think most top players will just forego the DC qualies, especially if they reached the 2nd week.

As for whether it's good or bad for tennis, we will see. Most likely it will have no impact, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It's obviously bad for tennis, but the top players didn't play in the current rendition either once they had won it one time. I doubt the bulk of them play in qualifiers, but many probably show up in the finals should they qualify.

Argentina and GB getting wildcards tells me Federer and Wawrinka couldn't confirm they would play if handed a wildcard and thus probably won't play altogether, like they haven't done for a while. Same with Serbia and Djokovic obviously. Switzerland will get their shit handed by Russia but Serbia should still beat Uzbekistan so Djokovic remains a possibility for the finals. So in theory we could be seeing most top players there but the Swiss.

But all in all,e it's a sad development for us who grew up watching some real epic matches in Davis Cup. Even today there are very epic matches being played due to the format alone. That's about to get taken away from us. Money, money, money.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Austria vs Chile will be a great tie assuming Thiem and Jarry play. Australia should beat BIH if Kyrgios plays but otherwise could be very close.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Why would Federer care to play the Davis Cup? He already plays a limited schedule and something tells me he is not a fan of the new format. Without Fed, I think Stan is done with DC too.

There is lots of money at stake so I think turn out among players ranked 30-100 should be good.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I don't see many top players playing this round at all.
why?
most players were in support of this change. and they would have to play only one match, bo3 at that, 5 days after the AO. that's as handy as it gets.

i expect almost all of them to play. not sure about Federer given his advanced age, but Djokovic has often played in that time slot even under the old format.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
TBH Djokovic is Piqué friend, Uzbekhistan is way back from Melbourne and only 1 rubber to play vs Istomin as rest (Fayziev or Sultanov or Karimov) is doable for Djere or Lajovic.

More tough vs Russia for Switzerland but at home..... So Stan and Roger can give a try....

And UK and Argentina whose star can be out of form/prone to injuries got a WC.

It is a "lucky" draw for Every Nation with possible Star in their Team

BTW final is in Spain which is a good sign for Nadal to commit (clay + high bounce because of altitude).

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
If federer wants to participate in the Olympic Games as his career closure he’d better play the new Davis cup. if he doesn’t reach the semis or better at the AO there is really no reason not to. It’s just 2 days and only best of three. I he gets into the finals again (which I highly doubt this time) he should at least play in November if Switzerland makes it without him...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts