Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

*For ATP Cup; rankings points are awarded for a match win in each round and depend on the ranking of the opponent. An undefeated player who plays and wins all possible singles matches could earn 750 ATP points.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
How will atp cup fill 24 nations? And how about the doubles pairings. They will destroy double pairings that arent from the same nation.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
How will atp cup fill 24 nations? And how about the doubles pairings. They will destroy double pairings that arent from the same nation.
yeah it's interesting.

Doubles is pretty hard as you said. Bryans (or any USA combo) would fare pretty well I'd say.
There will be inherent disadvantage to the 2 singles system (no reverse rubbers - I really wonder how they will choose who plays who then).

I was thinking they take best 24 players in order of highest ranked player, and go from there.
(confirmed: https://www.tennis.com.au/news/2018/11/16/atp-cup-team-event-unveiled-for-2020
"The criteria for entry into the ATP Cup will be based off the ATP Ranking of the No.1 singles player from each country.")

For example, going off the live ranking they will have
Code:
1. SRB
2. ESP
3. GER
4. ARG
5. RSA
6. SUI
7. JPN
8. AUT
9. USA
10. CRO 
11. RUS
12. GRE
13. CAN
14. ITA
15. GEO
16. BEL
17. FRA
18. BUL
19. GBR
20. AUS
21. POR
22. SVK
23. TUN
24. CHI
A couple of teams will be tricky though, imagine trying to find a suitable singles partner for Dimitrov, Basilashvili, Tsitsipas or Jaziri...

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts
Most top players will turn up for ATP CUP.
750 points is a lot.
This is true

But also, whoever pays the most money will draw the most players

It is funny to me to see these organizations trying to push national whatever when the players are only motivated by money. Just another holdover from the old shamateurism

When you are a kid and you fall in love with the game, it is pure. Later, when you are paid money for tennis, the game no longer is the game you fell in love with. It's a business. And that's ok. But as a player, I am going wherever the highest dollar/nicest accommodations are provided. Finally they seem to be raising the prize money in these events but we will see just how much it is compared to other high money tour events/exhibitions

When you turn pro and you reckon your love of the game with the brutality of the business, well, now you know why Federer does not get on a plane for less than $2 million

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not sure how the 750 pts will be broken down but assuming:

50 pts per each round robin win X 3 matches = 150 points

100 pts for winning the QF rubber (max. 250 to this point)

200 pts for winning your SF rubber (max. 450 at this point)

300 pts for winning the Final rubber = 750 pts total

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
A couple of teams will be tricky though, imagine trying to find a suitable singles partner for Dimitrov, Basilashvili, Tsitsipas or Jaziri...
It would be indeed very strange to have countries like Georgia and Tunisia.
Bulgaria why not, as Andreev is very talented young prospect and in a year time, he could be a good second single player after Dimitrov.
And Greece might be a good country to have in the field as Tsitsipas would be good for the ticketing and marketing of the event and there are also many Greeks living in Australia.
I presume that the ATP cup will also have some WC ?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I used to like ATP Cup when it was played in Düsseldorf on clay
For me that was a bit different as they werent trying to shut down tournaments to make it happen. Also, it is not as many teams and very stressful schedule.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Most top players will turn up for ATP CUP.
750 points is a lot.
I dont know about this. Most top players knows that slams are the main priority and having a title. I think this atp cup is a bad idea as it is inflamming one players ranking. What if someone like tsitsipas carries the team through the round robin. His partner did nothing and then wins qf and getting a lot of points. I am just assuming its like the wtf on how points are given.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are some requirements for those other players though:

How many players are in a team?
Each team may have up to five players, made up of the nation’s three highest ATP ranked singles players. The remaining two places will be filled by players with the next highest singles or doubles ranking. All players in a team must have an ATP Ranking. A minimum of three players is required per team, and a minimum of two ranked singles players and one singles or doubles ranked player must be part of the team.
For example, right now Tsitsipas is the only Greek player with a singles ATP ranking, same with Basilashvili and Georgia. The ranking system change this year has probably made fulfilling this requirement more difficult for small countries with only one top player.

I presume that the ATP cup will also have some WC ?
Only for Australia (if needed).

Will there be a Wild Card team?
Yes. There may be a Wild Card for the host nation if it does not qualify by ATP Rankings.
ATP Cup FAQ

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Wouldn't be suprised if davis cup failed and got merged with the ATP Cup at some point. ATP Davis Cup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts