Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
30,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good win for the Canadian in a hostile environment over a top 10 player. Now the H2H is 2-0 for Denis. While very close, it felt like Denis was always going to pull this one out.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I couldn't find as much as the scoreline of live matches on DC official website. Let alone OOP. What is this nonsense?

Anyway, good win for Shapo. I assume he needed a healthy amount of luck to avoid breaks with his 13 DF's.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I couldn't find as much as the scoreline of live matches on DC official website. Let alone OOP. What is this nonsense?

Anyway, good win for Shapo. I assume he needed a healthy amount of luck to avoid breaks with his 13 DF's.
Not really.
Mostly untroubled on serve despite the DFs

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

they're app is terrible as well. so glitchy and confusing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can’t help but think that the hype for Berrettini is really overrated, I mean he’s had some good results and gone deep in a few tournaments but he’s not on the level of the likes of Tsitsipas, Zverev, Thiem etc

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Can’t help but think that the hype for Berrettini is really overrated, I mean he’s had some good results and gone deep in a few tournaments but he’s not on the level of the likes of Tsitsipas, Zverev, Thiem etc
I agree. He has a good serve and FH but his BH and movement are subpar. People will start to learn how to play him. I don't think he will have the same success next season.

·
Registered
22,653 Posts
Not sure I would have played Denis for the doubles. It was obviously important as going 3-0 would have improved the odds of getting through as 1 of the 2 best 2nd place teams if they lose tomorrow which will now be tough with 2-1 as their win, but the most likely way to get through was to win both and Denis played a lot today. They should be favorites against the US but I'm curious to who will play for them.

·
The special one
14,806 Posts
Shapovalov is the much better player of the two, and will easily have the better career. It's a shame Berretti qualified for WTF instead of him as Shapovalov would've made that group far more interesting imo.

·
Registered
14,045 Posts
Not sure I would have played Denis for the doubles. It was obviously important as going 3-0 would have improved the odds of getting through as 1 of the 2 best 2nd place teams if they lose tomorrow which will now be tough with 2-1 as their win, but the most likely way to get through was to win both and Denis played a lot today. They should be favorites against the US but I'm curious to who will play for them.
I understand it, it's the same reason why Russia played Khachanov and Rublev after they'd already won. Every match is incredibly important in this format. There's a serious possibility Canada could lose to the USA and have a 3 way tie (which would come down to matches won) and/or coming 2nd (where advancement would again come down to matches won).

·
Registered
22,653 Posts
I understand it, it's the same reason why Russia played Khachanov and Rublev after they'd already won. Every match is incredibly important in this format. There's a serious possibility Canada could lose to the USA and have a 3 way tie (which would come down to matches won) and/or coming 2nd (where advancement would again come down to matches won).
I understand the logic, and for me if I and the choice I might have done the same but I'm not sure. Playing him clearly increases the chances of going 3-0 which increases the chances of winning a 3 way tie or a top two 2nd place team as you said. But I think it does decrease his chances of winning tomorrow now that's he's spent 4.5 hours on court today. Just comes down to how much it decreases it I guess because getting 3-0 would have been pretty big.

On a side note winning the group gets the winner of the Belgium/Australia group which would be a favourable QF so please beat the USA tomorrow.

·
justice for all
17,605 Posts
Didn’t watch but the far better prospect won. Well done. And BTW - Berrettini participation in ATP Finals was a joke. Should have been Denis as a WC instead of him or Djokovic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts