Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday:
R1 - K.BECK (SVK) vs G.CORIA (ARG)
R2 - D.HRBATY (SVK) vs D.NALBANDIAN (ARG)

Saturday:
R3 - K.BECK / M.MERTINAK (SVK) vs D.NALBANDIAN / M.PUERTA (ARG)

Sunday:
R4 - D.HRBATY (SVK) vs G.CORIA (ARG)
R5 - K.BECK (SVK) vs D.NALBANDIAN (ARG)

Basically we have to win one of the first two matches on Friday to give ourselves a good shot. Comebacks can happen, but Argentina is too talented to get into much of a hole.

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
22 Sep 2005 - Sibamac Arena, National Tennis Centre, Bratislava, SVK. - Chris Bowers

Beck launches Slovak bid to make history

Draws seldom have a major impact on the outcome of Davis Cup by BNP Paribas ties, but Argentina arguably has more to be happy about after the draw ceremony in Bratislava left the semifinal line-up between the Slovak Republic and Argentina as:

Karol Beck (SVK) v Guillermo Coria (ARG)
Dominik Hrbaty (SVK) v David Nalbandian (ARG)
Karol Beck/Michal Mertinak (SVK) v David Nalbandian/Mariano Puerta (ARG)
Dominik Hrbaty (SVK) v Guillermo Coria (ARG)
Karol Beck (SVK) v David Nalbandian (ARG)

The favourites on the basis of their superior rankings, Argentina’s Achilles heel looked most likely to be if Slovakia’s top player Dominik Hrbaty beat David Nalbandian, and Guillermo Coria then got nervous against a free-swinging Karol Beck. As it is, Coria will not have to wait, and Beck won’t be able to swing as freely when the pair open the Slovaks’ first-ever Davis Cup semifinal at three o’clock local time on Friday afternoon.

Despite occasional mutterings about the speed of the rubberised hardcourt laid in the Sibamac Arena at the National Tennis Centre, Argentina’s players seem to be well-focused on what is a tricky assignment. Coria has been striking the ball well in practice, and his relations with Gaston Gaudio, which were somehwt strained when the two represented Argentina at the World Team Cup in May, seem professionally cordial. Gaudio, the 2004 Roland Garros champion and current world No. 11 who isn’t scheduled to play here such is the strength of the visitors’ line-up, said: “My job is to support the team, and to play if necessary.”

Such a coherence of purpose is down in large part to the influence of Argentina’s captain Alberto Mancini. Voted in by the players last year, the former top-tenner has moulded four disparate characters into a unit pulling in one direction. His players are certainly having fun in Bratislava, and it will take a massive effort from the 48th-ranked Beck to upset the eighth-ranked Coria, who was a finalist in Beijing last Sunday, only losing to the world No. 2 Rafael Nadal in a final set.

Assuming Coria wins, Dominik Hrbaty will face major pressure when he faces Argentina’s hero from the quarterfinal in Sydney, David Nalbandian. If the Slovaks are to upset the only non-European nation left in the 2005 World Group, Hrbaty must beat Nalbandian. The 27-year-old Slovak – ranked 19th to Nalbandian’s 9th – seemed nervous at the draw ceremony, but said he doesn’t mind waiting for the Beck-Coria match to run its course.

“I’m used to waiting,” he says, “it’s the same as at a Grand Slam when you have a men’s match before you, that can take from 1½ to five hours. I’ve been a professional for 10 years on the circuit and I know what to do, it’s not a big deal for me.”

Maybe not, but 10 years on the tour tells him how much momentum the team winning the first rubber can have. He also knows that with the Slovak Republic blessed with three home draws so far in 2005 – and a possible home final depending on the outcome in Split – this could be his only opportunity of playing in a Davis Cup final.

There were no surprises in the doubles nominations. Slovakia’s captain Milos Mecir has stuck with the combination of Beck and Michal Mertinak which has won both his country’s doubles rubbers so far this year, while Mancini resumes the successful pairing he discovered at the quarterfinal in Sydney, Nalbandian teaming up with the French Open runner-up Mariano Puerta.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
hrbatyfan said:
Comebacks can happen, but Argentina is too talented to get into much of a hole.
Is the "hole" comment a reference to Dom's infamous shirt? :devil: Good luck guys, it will be tough.

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
khyber said:
Is the "hole" comment a reference to Dom's infamous shirt? :devil: Good luck guys, it will be tough.
Maybe! :p

Thanks man, definitely won't be easy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is definetly going to be a tough tie, but playing in their home stadium should give them an advantage.

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
Karol won his match :bounce:

So now it's Dominik's turn! I have to go for a while, so you guys need to get online to go cheer for him in the DC threads! I stayed much much longer than I should have to follow Karol, but I hope I'll be back in time to see the end of Dominik's win!

Go Dom!

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tight as hell match here. Dominik was just up a break in the third....but he blew it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Karol won :eek:

Honestly I had this gut feeling he would win. If Dominik wins today...phew, what a relief for the rest of the few days, as Dominik should be able to take out Coria on hard, as well.

Com'on Dominik :clap2:

Reactions: jole

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, Saturday is gonna be huge. I think we can do it tho, as long as they adjust to Puerta's heavy topspin.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Aww no poor Dominik that really sucks that he lost!!And yay KarolBeckFan Lets all hope that Karol and Michal can win there doubles match!And poor Karol im sure he has alotte of pressure going in that match!And then Karol has to play again Sunday!And that match could be the deciding match!Poor Karol!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bet practically all my vCash on Dominik today, hence my lack of it :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Danika said:
Aww no poor Dominik that really sucks that he lost!!And yay KarolBeckFan Lets all hope that Karol and Michal can win there doubles match!And poor Karol im sure he has alotte of pressure going in that match!And then Karol has to play again Sunday!And that match could be the deciding match!Poor Karol!!!
Being at the doubles today I can only say that Karol played just great.
Slovakia is leading the tie 2:1. I hope Domino gives his maximum (as he always does in DC matches) and sents Coria back home.

·
Registered
464 Posts
yup yup!! Go the Slovaks!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts