Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grassray too good, only a fluke servebotting time machine performance from Olderer can stop this Grassray, Tsonga played awesome in the 2nd set TB but Murray barely missed a first serve.

This whole QF tie rests on the doubles, i wonder if Andy will come in for Inglot and play with his brother, surely?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Tsonga was pretty shit tbh, served decently but did little else. His return is comical at times.

Murray played the match pretty defensively but he knew it was enough against this Tsonga. Murray just made life as difficult as possible.

I never felt Tsonga was going to win that 2nd set.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
why are you mad?
federer is a better player than murray-this is why he out-played him.
as for the result-as Nid as it could get.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Thought Andy looked strangely slow and sluggish early on, albeit still playing at a decent enough level, but looked the part from the end of the first set onwards.

Jo can count himself a little unfortunate in the tiebreaker. Andy is generally good in tiebreaks, but I was surprised that he kept delivering first serves like that. Tsonga was insanely clutch again and again, but it wasn't enough with Murray matching him each time. Losing that set killed Jo, he was pretty much hitting and hoping in the third - wouldn't like to guess how many UEs he had in that set.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Tsonga was pretty shit tbh, served decently but did little else. His return is comical at times.

Murray played the match pretty defensively but he knew it was enough against this Tsonga. Murray just made life as difficult as possible.

I never felt Tsonga was going to win that 2nd set.
Tsonga wasn't shit, the first two sets were really close. And I don't believe you when you say you never felt Tsonga was going to win the 2nd set, he had a few SPs.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Grassray too good, only a fluke servebotting time machine performance from Olderer can stop this Grassray, Tsonga played awesome in the 2nd set TB but Murray barely missed a first serve.

This whole QF tie rests on the doubles, i wonder if Andy will come in for Inglot and play with his brother, surely?
:lol::lol:
Apart servebotting, he did shitall

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Ward could beat Tsonga, France need to play Gasquet in that one.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Windy conditions acted as something of a leveller at the start of the match. Murray was a lucky boy to win the second set TB where Tsonga was bombing down some fierce serves. That was pretty much where the match was decided.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Ward could beat Tsonga, France need to play Gasquet in that one.
If Tsonga loses to the Ward who showed up today, he should retire IMO.
I think Gasquet will face Murray btw, he definitely has a better chance at beating him than Simon.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Straight sets would seem to make that a lot more likely. Then again, Inglot/JMurray did take the Bryans to five in Glasgow.

France still marginal favourites for the tie, as they were yesterday.

·
Administrator
6,251 Posts
Close first two sets, just about every time Tsonga held both his points in the 2nd set TB to earn a SP I thought Murray would miss at least one of his but he kept hitting first serve and matching Tsonga for clutchness, until he landed a pretty fortunately placed return from one of Tsonga's huge first serves leading to a Tsonga miss and the set. After that Tsonga was pretty much out of it, Murray was making things more difficult for himself risking getting broken back with some poor play after Tsonga gifted the break, but he stepped it up again to remain in control and finish up the match.

Good performance from Murray anyway to get a straight sets win over another good opponent, a nice rebound from the Wimbledon loss just a week ago and a great addition to a good grass season.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Tsonga wasn't shit, the first two sets were really close. And I don't believe you when you say you never felt Tsonga was going to win the 2nd set, he had a few SPs.
The first 2 sets were close but then it is was #3 vs #12 on grass so you'd expect that but you never felt tsonga was edging it or taking control.

The tiebreak had a 'someone will make a stab return to win a return point' feel to it and it was never going to be Tsonga, he missed 2 block returns in the tiebreak at the sharp end.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Whole match came down to second set which Tsonga really gave away, rubbish pushed returns on SPs won't cut it

Thing is, he'll still end up the hero on Sunday when he wins the 5th rubber.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Good performance by the Muzz, getting rid of some of those cobwebs after Wimbledon last week. Close 2nd set TB, but the result was never in doubt after that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts