Mens Tennis Forums banner

Pick...

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously the 4 slams are the most important tournaments, but after that, which one of these three huge events would you like to win the most? Saw a couple debates about this lately, so why not make a thread about it :)

Davis Cup has the honour of fighting for your country, and it still has best of 5 format. Is more of a team sport however, so you could profit from other gifted players (or be screwed if you're the only decent player from your country, like Murray).

Olympics is the biggest sports event in the world, has the history, a place where legends are made. Everyone wants to be an olympic gold medalist. Tennis hasn't been there for very long though, and therefore it lacks the great champions/stories from the past. Still has best of 5 in the final.

To win the WTF you have to beat 4 or 5 top 8 players, arguably even more difficult to win than a Grand slam. But, a lot of the top players are tired after a long, hard season, and come here in terrible shape. And now it's in best of 3 format, and we all know the truly great matches are fought out over 5 sets.

I'd say Olympics >> Davis Cup > WTF

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Olympics > World Tour Finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Davis Cup

Davis Cup is the biggest joke in tennis I think.

·
Federer fan forever
12,903 Posts
Wtf for sure .I have to beat the best 8 players in the world to win that event :D

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I'd want Olympics more, it's a rare achievement because it's only every 4 years, but WTF is the most essential to a player's legacy by far in my opinion simply because you get a chance ever year and the field is constantly strong.

Davis Cup isn't really in the equation.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
Olympics more important than WTF? :lol:

WTF > Davis Cup > Olympics. I honestly wouldn't care if they scrapped Olympics tennis. WTF is the unofficial 5th slam. I don't see the basis for comparison here at all.

Davis Cup has definitely lost its importance throughout the years but it's had a long, long history. It would be great on any player's resume.

But it's undeniable that out of the 3, the WTF is probably the most important.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I don't like the RR Format for the WTF and the Davis Cup is for the players' countries as is the Olympics. So I said Olympics, Davis Cup, and then the WTF.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Forget the prestige of Davis cup and Olympics. No excuses in the WTF. The single best player in the World at that moment in time wins it. Winning WTF shoves that fact in the rest of the top 8s faces. I'd like to win this the most.

Davis cup is a team event and pretty much a separate sport that takes away from the lone warrior aspect of tennis - Good for your country. Pride. Means nothing else personal success wise.

Olympics.. Massu.

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
Davis Cup > Olympics > WTF.

You get to play for yourself during most of the year, Davis Cup is about joy for an entire nation - not just one player and their fans. As for the Olympics, the fact you only get that opportunity once every four years makes it special - and again, has the element of you representing your nation.

I'm sure Nalbandian would gladly swap his WTF for a Davis Cup title.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Olympics is very prestigious imo, being an olympic champion is very impressive. World Tour Finals closely follow, perhaps the most difficult tournament to win though ironically. Then Davis Cup as winning the thing is not necessarily in your hands.

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
Expected thread by a Nadaltard. Tennis at Summer Olympics has zero prestige so it's 3rd for sure. I know what players say but what they say doesn't always mean it's true. Olderer thinks he is better now than he was in 2005 for example :cuckoo:
Davis Cup is a team competition so its irrelevant when it comes to greatness in singles.
WTF is officially the 5th biggest tournament in tennis. There is not much to debate.
The question is about what you as an individual would want more - not the order of importance of the competitions for Tennis as a whole.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Expected thread by a Nadaltard. Tennis at Summer Olympics has zero prestige so it's 3rd for sure. I know what players say but what they say doesn't always mean it's true. Olderer thinks he is better now than he was in 2005 for example :cuckoo:
Davis Cup is a team competition so its irrelevant when it comes to greatness in singles.
WTF is officially the 5th biggest tournament in tennis. There is not much to debate.
It's not about which tournament is bigger, it's about which one YOU would want to win.

I don't care if WTF is the fifth biggest, I'd pick the Olympics and Davis Cup over that every time. Winning Basel would probably mean a whole lot more to Federer than winning Miami or something, doesn't mean it's a bigger tournament.

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
1. davis cup

2. olympic gold

world toast finals is nothing more than a glorified exhibition......djokovic lost two matches and was still in contention for semifinal......even kooyang classic and some challenger tournaments are tougher than that to win......

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Certainly WTF and Olympics are realistic for any top player.It doesn`t matter how much u want it or how good u are,Davis Cup is only possible for only a few.
Do u think someone like Federer or Murray have any realistic chance to win Davis Cup?

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Certainly WTF and Olympics are realistic for any top player.It doesn`t matter how much u want it or how good u are,Davis Cup is only possible for only a few.
Do u think someone like Federer or Murray have any realistic chance to win Davis Cup?
Doesn't mean it wouldn't feel great to win it. When I see the crowd cheering during Davis Cup ties, man, you must be so pumped up when you're playing there and win it.

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
Umag > WTF > Davis cup > Olympics

I don't care about Davis cup and olympics too much.

I would most likely be one bitchy Fed cup player. :D
Well, who knows...if I managed to become a pro and had a chance to play Fed cup (women version of Davis cup) and Olympics for my small country, I might change my opinion.

But WTF is on the top of my wishlist, because if you win it you know that you are really good. Even if you qualify for WTF is amazing.

Reactions: jayjay

·
Registered
21,934 Posts
I voted Olympics > Davis Cup > WTF, but it's very close with Olympics > WTF > Davis Cup.

Winning an olympic medal is a dream for every sporter, if you win one you are relevant in the entire world of sports, not just in tennis.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts