Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the formats differ for Davis Cup and Fed Cup? I prefer the Davis Cup format with S S D S S, over the Fed Cup format of S S S S D. The doubles rubber rarely makes a difference in Fed Cup. Does anyone know the reason?

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
I think it's because Fed cup was played over 2 weeks ages ago, I mean the entire tournament.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
you could argue that the doubles match has the same impact, it's 1 point out of 5 possible points, its just in davis cup the doubles match gets played while the tie is still live, but just as often as in Fed Cup the 4 singles matches won't be split 2-2 and the actual winner of the doubles match is irrelevant.

But no I don't know the reason. They have it compacted into 2 days so that's probably the reason, and figured just to put the doubles at the end, but I'm not really sure why it's compacted into 2 days either.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I think the different formats are because FC is a Bo3 event. One Bo3 doubles rubber wouldn't be enough for Saturday, so they have only two days. Maybe doubles are the 5th rubber because they may think it's better to have fresh players in singles and tired in doubles. And they want to have 3rd rubber on Sunday to avoid a day of dead rubbers.

I'm not really sure why it's compacted into 2 days either.
I think this post answered to that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think the different formats are because FC is a Bo3 event. One Bo3 doubles rubber wouldn't be enough for Saturday, so they have only two days. Maybe doubles are the 5th rubber because they may think it's better to have fresh players in singles and tired in doubles. And they want to have 3rd rubber on Sunday to avoid a day of dead rubbers.

I think this post answered to that.
This. People just won't pay for a BO3 doubles match. Just a BO5 doubles match is already really stretching it.
If the team has enough depth, it also gives some rest to the singles players.

People want to see the stars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts