1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"PRESS RELEASE
30 May 2015

Decision of the Davis Cup Committee on eligibility appeals

The Davis Cup Committee met on Saturday, 30 May, 2015 at Roland Garros. The Committee considered three Eligibility Request appeals from nations, following the introduction of the new Eligibility Rule for Davis Cup and Fed Cup that restricts players from competing in the competitions for more than one country during their careers. This rule, approved by the ITF Annual General Meeting in September 2014 by a 93 per cent margin, came into effect on 1 January 2015.

The Committee rejected the appeals by the Lawn Tennis Association for Aljaz Bedene, and by the Belarus Tennis Association for Maxim Dubarenco because they did not meet either the existing or former criteria of the eligibility rule.

The Committee upheld the appeal by the Deutscher Tennis Bund (DTB) on behalf of Dustin Brown. The Committee agreed that Brown had met all of the criteria for eligibility under the previous rule before 31 December 2014 and agreed with the DTB that their administrative error in not filing for eligibility ahead of the deadline should not preclude Brown from representing Germany in Davis Cup by BNP Paribas.

The LTA and Belarus Tennis Assocation can appeal the decisions of the Davis Cup Committee to the ITF Board of Directors."

(source)

--

Sucks for Bedene. Really glad for Brown, though - would've been an injustice to keep him out.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Didn't he only play a dead rubber or something?

Also regardless of the fact he'd play for GB - I would support anyone wishing to change anyway - national identity is something you should be able to choose based on which country you have an affinity with not just somewhere you were born.

·
MONSOON season.
81,987 Posts
its no loss for great britian anyway. lets not act like bedene is some great new addition to the team.
Uhm. Perhaps not a great addition, but he is a good addition, especially when Murray is unavailable.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
We now have a foreigner playing under the British flag who cannot help us in the Davis Cup.

I wonder if the UK media will just ignore Bedene now.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts

Also regardless of the fact he'd play for GB - I would support anyone wishing to change anyway - national identity is something you should be able to choose based on which country you have an affinity with not just somewhere you were born.
If he didn't feel Slovenian, he should have refused to play those ties in 2010, 2011 and 2012...

·
Registered
5,886 Posts

Nonsense.

·
Registered
16,835 Posts

·
Banned
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
If he didn't feel Slovenian, he should have refused to play those ties in 2010, 2011 and 2012...
Exactly, if I represented a country and I did not like it, I would not represent it in Davis Cup.
He's just trying to make money...I don't blame him he probably doesn't even make that much considering expenses...

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Poor Bedene, but then again, he went to UK for other reasons than just playing for GB in Davis Cup.

·
Super Moderator
8,829 Posts
He isn't even better than the likes of Edmund, Ward and Co., so no loss for British DC team (even a win I'd say)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nonsense.
What's nonsense is nationality in itself. Why take pride in something that was accidental? That's why parties that have aggressive immigration controls make no logical sense to me.

Anyway, I think any player should be able to play for the country they choose to represent. In the end tennis is about the individual, not the country so it shouldn't even matter that much.

Reactions: Berd Lover

·
23,510 Posts
Anyway, I think any player should be able to play for the country they choose to represent. In the end tennis is about the individual, not the country so it shouldn't even matter that much.
Unless it's Davis Cup (and the Olympics) of course. ;) I am pretty sure Bedene could represent GBR during individual play but country matters do matter in those team events.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
What's nonsense is nationality in itself. Why take pride in something that was accidental? That's why parties that have aggressive immigration controls make no logical sense to me.

I didn't even know there are people with mindset around

. You should be proud of where your from , your culture and what your ancestors had to fight for. It should be a honor to play for your country not a way to make money

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
He only just got his citizenship this year.
He's been based in the UK for years, and stared his application before the new rule was devised.

There's no evidence he moved to the UK to collect the money, and there were no guarantees he'd be getting in the UK Davis Cup squad, even if eligible, and he doesn't need a wildcard for Wimbledon.

The rule should be to prevent rich countries from being able to pay talented players to jump ship, but that's not the case here. The rule is penalising someone who has changed nationalities for regular reasons, and leaves him unable to take part in Davis Cup.

Bedene wouldn't have been a huge addition to the Davis Cup, but he's better than Ward on clay, so having him as an option might come in useful, and discourage opposing team captains from picking clay knowing we're rubbish at it*! :lol:

Are you sure he played all of those ties?

* Relevant before the rise of Clayray 3.0.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I didn't even know there are people with mindset around

. You should be proud of where your from , your culture and what your ancestors had to fight for. It should be a honor to play for your country not a way to make money
You can be proud of a place sure but why should you deny others a chance to be proud of it too? As if giving someone else citizenship of a country takes away from your own? I'm pleased I was born in the UK because I acknowledge that globally this makes me incredibly lucky in terms of percentages but ultimately why should I be allowed citizenship because of accident of birth when others who may have risked their lives to be in a country are denied it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts