Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that the draw for Barcelona will be made later today.
David has played there 4 times before, with his best showings QF appearances in 2004, and also in 2007 when it represented the only time he reached a QF in his first 15 tournament appearances of the season.
I'm pretty pleased with how he played at Monte-Carlo, and let's hope he can build on that at this event.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Barcelona is no monkey event, even though Ginepri is playing there and it has always been a 56 draw.

Draw will be out later today.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barcelona is the 4th biggest claycourt event on the circuit in my opinion, ahead of Hamburg. The facilities there are excellent and it has a rich history.
The downside of this event of course has been the lack of/non-existant coverage/live streaming available in the past. I'm not overly optimistic on that front this year.

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Every year I regret not having a few days off around the tournament time to be there - every year I think: I'll be there next year, definitely. :lol: And end up never going.

I love the tournament, the city - everything about Barcelona fascinates me. I know David loves it too.

Am only hoping he can bring the Monte Carlo form into this tournament & just enjoy himself out there.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No Javier Saviola this year in Barcelona:sad:

·
124,506 Posts
Main Draw

(1) Nadal vs. Bye
Luczak vs. Starace
Spadea vs. Alberto martin (WC)
Acasuso vs. F. Lopez (16)

(11) Ferrero vs. Garcia-Lopez
I. Minar vs. Qualifier
Gulbis vs. Tipsarevic
Bye vs. Moya (5)

(4) (WC) Blake vs. Bye
Gremelmayr vs. Qualifier
Daniel vs. Navarro
Anderson vs. (15) Tursunov

(10) Almagro vs. Troicki
Melzer vs. Volandri
(WC) Ancic vs. Zverev
Bye vs. (7) Murray

(8) Karlovic vs. Bye
Granollers vs. Montañes
Brzezicki vs. Cuevas
Qualifier vs (12) Nieminen

(14) Wawrinka vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. Ginepri
Calleri vs. T.Johansson
Bye vs. (3) Nalbandian

(6) Robredo vs. Bye
Qualifer vs. Haase
Gabashvili vs. Coria
Hernandez vs. (9) Cañas

(13) Verdasco vs. N. Lapentti
Ventura vs. Qualifier
Eschauer vs. Chela
Bye vs. (2) Ferrer

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
:lol: Not a good draw.

Can never count out Calleri who could be difficult if he plays well although I'd say that's a very winnable match. (Although it wouldn't be overly surprising if Calleri lost to Johansson) Wawrinka looks like he has a cakewalk draw to win his first two rounds so will undoubtedly be David's R3 opponent if he makes it there.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Good tests for him here, it doesn't matter if he doesn't win, I just hope he can bring some confidence for Rome and Hamburg. :)

But do you think Nadal will play there ?

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Good tests for him here, it doesn't matter if he doesn't win, I just hope he can bring some confidence for Rome and Hamburg. :)

But do you think Nadal will play there ?
He's definitely going to skip Hamburg.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm never one to be overly bothered when my favourite players are handed difficult draws. I agree with Viken that it will be interesting to see how he copes with it.
Barcelona is one my favourite cities in the world, and I really want to attend this tournament one day.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nadal and his family are members of the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona than run the tournament, are there's no way that he'd consider skipping this event unless was heavily injured. It means far more to him than Hamburg and so understandably so. He has opportunity to become the first player to win the title there 4 times, both in total and consecutively.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Good draw
I hope to see Nalbi in the final at least :angel:

·
Registered
414 Posts
the draw is not really that bad...first thing he's not in Nadal's half of the draw so there's a higher possibility for him to reach the final. And regarding the earlier rounds, I don't think either Johansson or Calleri are playing good enough these days to beat David on clay-that if he plays like he played in Monte Carlo. And for Wawrinka, I also believe David has better chances on clay...the first bad thing is if he plays Ferrer in the SF (that of course in case he reached that round :angel: )
I think it mainly depends on his fitness...so best of luck David :)

·
124,506 Posts
Wawrinka's best surface is clay, but at least he will get some good matches here, which is what he needs.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts