Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
59,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Koellerer is not alone anymore

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-Savic-banned-for-life-for-match-fix-bid.html

Serbia tennis ace David Savic banned for life for match-fix bid

DAVID SAVIC has become only the second tennis player ever to get a life ban - for trying to fix matches.

The 659th-ranked Serb, 26, was also fined $100,000 for three breaches of anti-corruption rules

He had been found guilty in London on September 12 of "contriving or attempting to contrive the outcome of an event".

The Tennis Integrity Unit will NOT make the details public.

Savic, 363rd in 2009, has never played above the challenger circuit.

Austria's former Davis Cup player Daniel Koellerer, once ranked 55th, became in May the first player life-banned over match-fixing.

But Koellerer is fighting the penalty, which stems from offences between October 2009 and July 2010.

Five Italian players and Frenchman Mathieu Montcourt got bans from six weeks to nine months long over 2007-08.

Russia's former top-five star Nikolay Davydenko was cleared in 2008 after the ATP probed suspicious betting patterns after he faced 87th-ranked Martin Vassallo Arguello the previous year.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Tennis has lost a leading light in the sport.

Reactions: emotion

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Well... this will be hard for tennis to go on :(

Ace and real GOAT left the stage

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
All well and good ATP, but you're not going to scare anyone unless you start banning the players closer to the top of the game. And no, using Crazi Dani as a scapegoat doesn't count...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
"Mr Savic was found guilty of three charges under Article D of the 2010 Uniform Tennis Anti-Corruption Program, namely:

• Contriving or attempting to contrive the outcome of an Event;
• Soliciting or facilitating a Player not to use his or her best efforts in an Event; and;
• Soliciting, offering or providing money, benefit or Consideration to any other covered person with the intention of negatively influencing a Player’s best efforts in any Event

The three violations of the Uniform Tennis Anti-Corruption Program for which he has been disciplined occurred in October 2010."

Savic played in October 2010 two futures tournaments in...Croatia.

CROATIA F6
18.10.2010...1-6 1-6 vs Pashanski

CROATIA F7
25.10.2010...6-3 6-1 vs Norbert Gombos
26.10.2010...6-4 3-6 7-6(2) vs Mate Pavic
27.10.2010...1-6 0-6 vs Flock

My guess is there were some local bookies covering those tournaments, and he took advantage of it.

This lifeban makes me hope there will be more actions regarding those first round matches at Rijeka Challenger this year, but also in other, bigger touraments. Because there are plenty of fish way bigger then Savic to catch.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Call me when the tennis federation actually forms some guts.

·
Registered
22,562 Posts
Free Koellerer.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The link I clicked to read this article was Serbian tennis player banned for life after corruption probe.

The CNN article helpfully added, "Savic is currently ranked 659th in singles, with a highest standing of 363 in October 2009. He is a compatriot of world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, who helped Serbia win the Davis Cup last year before winning three grand slam titles in 2011."

·
Registered
19,415 Posts
If ATP would ban all the fixers from the tour we wouldn't have any challenger tour

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
This lifeban makes me hope there will be more actions regarding those first round matches at Rijeka Challenger this year, but also in other, bigger touraments. Because there are plenty of fish way bigger then Savic to catch.
you are right, since atp is promoting gambling with allowing betting companies as sponsors of atp tournaments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't know what kind of message the ATP is sending here. "Don't fix matches when you're starting out, else we'll ban you for life! Wait til you're ranked somewhere in the Top 100."

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
These fishermen aren't catching the great white sharks.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts