Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always sounded like a real gentleman and very informative too, one of those commentators you actually looked forward to learning something from. Seemed to know Federer personally also, and waxed lyrical about his great talents. Interestingly, he found Nastase and Connors more difficult to umpire than McEnroe. RIP.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Was sad to hear this. Being an umpire, he umpired a McEnroe-Connors Wimbledon final, meant he also knew the rules of the game and could make you understand any issues that occurred. He also took an interest in the players and was a great commentator overall and one I really enjoyed listening to. I also liked it when he commentated on badminton. A sad loss. RIP.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Always sounded like a real gentleman and very informative too, one of those commentators you actually looked forward to learning something from. Seemed to know Federer personally also, and waxed lyrical about his great talents. Interestingly, he found Nastase and Connors more difficult to umpire than McEnroe. RIP.
For those who can't place a name with the face; Tremendous commentator

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

"The artistry, the class, the style, the easy stroke making of a master at work."

He was one of my favourite commentators, alongside Bill Threlfall, John Barrett, Chris Bowers, Simon Reed, Frew McMillan, Leif Shiras and Peter Fleming.

For me, a commentator can be as symbolic as a song. The voice and the things that were said, at a certain point in time. When I think of Mr Mercer I can almost smell the air, sitting watching Eurosport in the summer months of 2004 - a year I remember with particular fondness. Someone who was in it for the love of the sport. There aren't many left like him.

Mr Mercer embodied everything a commentator brought to the table and is the reason why many fans dismiss commentary teams. Many commentary teams are not only bad but they deprive fans of the experience that could be enjoyed listening to someone like himself and the memories that stay with some fans like myself, just as much as the matches themselves.

I appreciate all of the good times I had listening to him and I'm sad that there will be no more. That's life.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Such an iconic voice in tennis commentary will be sorely missed RIP

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
An understated great man who served the sport well and made it just a little better with his class commentating. He deserves a suitable tribute and recognition for his fine work.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Was shocked by the news. Wasn't aware of any illness and I think he was still commentating on eurosport fairly recently? (he did comms for them for Dubai event although don't know if he contributed to this years event).

Indeed it said in one obituary article today he would've been working for BBC at this years Wimbledon which would've only finished six weeks ago so must've been something sudden.

Great servant to Tennis. Ironically I can remember him being a bit of a jinx to Henman at Wimbledon. Did comms on him losing to Goran in 2001, Ancic in 2004 and Tursunov in 2005 plus probably a few more I can't recall.

Edit: During the 2001 SF I remember him getting exasperated during the 200th rain delay and he came out with "Please! Just give us a roof!" Burst out laughing when he said that.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Good commentator and will be sorely missed. RIP and thoughts go out to his family and friends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts