Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. came in here just to see how Davis cup turned out. i didnt watch during the week but curiosity about who won got the best of me. i dont know how david did. dont really care. not really surprised at the end result given nadal was there and it was in spain

anyway. i know that its a month early but i figured i would make this thread now since, why not?. season is over and its time to look forward to the new one.

I dont know what to expect of David next year. his consistency this year was just gone. he had a really poor year aside from 4 tournaments, its actually depressing to thik that he played just 4 good events all year ( tokyo, wimbledon, halle and cinci).

i posted them in 2019 thread but i'll post this here too

1. stay inside top 20
2. win a title. literally anything. he's got a frustratingly small number of titles.only 5. again , i know its not all about titles but, come on, as fans we want to see our players win titles. i'd love to see him win a masters next year but he'll probably need a lot of help again with the draw. (actually id love to see him win a slam but im not that naive)
3. olympic medal?. this one is a long shot i know but if he teams with with mertens in mixed he only has to win 4 matches to win a medal and , he's shown he can have success with the right partner. tokyo brings out the best in him so...with the right draw i maintain he's a darkhorse for one
4. stay healthy. he's done it this year hopefully he can next year too
5. stay consistent. i used to know what to expect from him. i havent at all this year. i would like for him to get back his concistency next year
6. improve mentality. in 2017 he was actually so good. im not sure what he did but it'd be great to see him get that mental strength back
7. make YEC. kind of goes with the consistency. i dont think he really deserves to be there this year. it would seem wrong but would be great to see him qualify again and maybe next year
8. imrpove serve. thomas , in 2017 had his serve as the best its ever been. there were glimpses of that at times this year but far to infrequently
9. win at home. i just would love to see him win his home title. i know how much it'd mean for him. his performance this year was a joke and i dont get why because in the past he's played quite welll in antwerp and when he plays davis cup at home he's always strong.

i dont know what happened to him this year...but his timing was just not there through most of it and his return was gone too. i dont know what got to him but his attitude was piss poor in a lot of events. what i saw this year was he'd get down on himself and check out once he fell behind. maybe he got into his own head a bit , i dont know but i want that guy thats willing to fight all the time back. honestly, with the arrival of nextgen i feel like this next season may be his last chance to do something big. guys are just moving past him and, lets face it his record against nextgen sucks. so this next year may be the last one where we can even expect good things from him. we'll see. i hope im wrong.

see you in december

i promise to try and be more positive next year by the way. it'll be by new years resolution. i know my constant negativity gets on people's nerves here

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well..his 2020 season starts next week. i dont expect much from the ATP cup. he landed in a group in which 2 of his worst match ups will be there. im thinking at best belgium can aim for 2nd place but that will depend on the other guys winning their matches against bulgaria's 2nd player. great britain will likely take first unless something happens where andy cant play

im not gonna talk about that arabia thing. do i wish he had passed it up? yes. i understand he did it for the money but i wish he'd have turned it down on ethics value given everything goin on.

i dont believe he's playing anything other than australian open so...im just hoping for him to start better than last year

one thing i wanted him to do is work with a sports psychologist during the off season but he just keeps doing all the same things, which is frustrating because its like he thinks he doesnt need to. he's 29 so he's unlikely to try something new now but i wish he would

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, andy is out of the ATP cup. this now really opens the door for david and belgium. it ofcourse relies on david not playing like shit like he did most of last year. i dont expect him to beat grigor but belgium's second and doubles are better than bulgaria's. so if he can win his other matches belgium should advance out and top the group.

p.s where is everyone else?. has the forum change just been so bad every other one of his fans that used to come in here left

·
73,358 Posts
well, andy is out of the ATP cup. this now really opens the door for david and belgium. it ofcourse relies on david not playing like shit like he did most of last year. i dont expect him to beat grigor but belgium's second and doubles are better than bulgaria's. so if he can win his other matches belgium should advance out and top the group.

p.s where is everyone else?. has the forum change just been so bad every other one of his fans that used to come in here left
I think a lot of the posters have indeed cleared out. I also am not interested in "Cup" play, but I still wish the best of luck to David!

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a lot of the posters have indeed cleared out. I also am not interested in "Cup" play, but I still wish the best of luck to David!
I figured as much. I hope some of the other posters like zellkff, devision2002, jojjeshruk and tonofdreams come back once the season gets going though

·
73,358 Posts
I figured as much. I hope some of the other posters like zellkff, devision2002, jojjeshruk and tonofdreams come back once the season gets going though
I'm wondering how many if any will come back after the New Year myself? I don't know why V/S didn't give more thought to the forum change?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering how many if any will come back after the New Year myself? I don't know why V/S didn't give more thought to the forum change?
I don't know. im sure that the thoughts of the posters on this site are at the bottom of the list of concerns of the owners. they make decisions based on several other factors.
im not a fan of it myself but i wouldn't stop coming just because i didnt like the layout.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Good to see you back Mr Swiss. I have not checked this forum many times in December as it was the off season, and I am still not (yet) very motivated about the new season. I guess it is going to change with the AO. I don't really care about the ATP Cup and hopefully as Nadal and Djokovic are declaring, it will be merged in a near future with the new Davis Cup format. As for David, I really don't know what to expect in 2020. He did not finish well the year 2019 and his displays at the Davis Cup weren't good at all, especially his mental attitude. What I hope to see first in 2020 is a hungry David, a fighter. I don't want to see matches like at the US Open against Federer. He will in 2020 lose many matches against top players, but I want him to fight, that's really the first thing I want to see from him. Besides this, I would like him to win a fifth title (4 ATP titles is not much), and hopefully, he will have at some stage a good opportunity in a GS. I don't really think now about the Olympics. He always played well in Tokyo, but this time the Olympic tournament will be in August, it will be very hot, and top players will be there, so nothing really similar than the conditions and quality of the field of the traditional October event.

·
73,358 Posts
I don't know. im sure that the thoughts of the posters on this site are at the bottom of the list of concerns of the owners. they make decisions based on several other factors.
im not a fan of it myself but i wouldn't stop coming just because i didnt like the layout.
That's what I can't understand that the owners are not concerned with the posters on the site! It's not just that I personally don't like the layout, but both the dark mode and the light mode hurts my eyes and gives me headaches.

Does anyone know if David is a 100% physically well at this point? If so, the problem has to be mental.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I can't understand that the owners are not concerned with the posters on the site! It's not just that I personally don't like the layout, but both the dark mode and the light mode hurts my eyes and gives me headaches.

Does anyone know if David is a 100% physically well at this point? If so, the problem has to be mental.
david is , as far as i know fully fit. he's posted several stories on instagram during the off season and photos and in none of them has he mentioned an injury. he looks happy and fit

im curious to see how he does this week. i might not like the atp cup but since he's chosen to play here and its the only australian open prep he has i will watch and am interested. but one thing we know: he does not handle heat or humidity well and , as always in australia this time its hot so..we'll see. albot always piushes him right to the brink so it'll be a good test for him to start the season with.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to see you back Mr Swiss. I have not checked this forum many times in December as it was the off season, and I am still not (yet) very motivated about the new season. I guess it is going to change with the AO. I don't really care about the ATP Cup and hopefully as Nadal and Djokovic are declaring, it will be merged in a near future with the new Davis Cup format. As for David, I really don't know what to expect in 2020. He did not finish well the year 2019 and his displays at the Davis Cup weren't good at all, especially his mental attitude. What I hope to see first in 2020 is a hungry David, a fighter. I don't want to see matches like at the US Open against Federer. He will in 2020 lose many matches against top players, but I want him to fight, that's really the first thing I want to see from him. Besides this, I would like him to win a fifth title (4 ATP titles is not much), and hopefully, he will have at some stage a good opportunity in a GS. I don't really think now about the Olympics. He always played well in Tokyo, but this time the Olympic tournament will be in August, it will be very hot, and top players will be there, so nothing really similar than the conditions and quality of the field of the traditional October event.
yeah, i agree. last year his attitude was a joke. so many times i saw him just give up the second he ell behind and, honestly it was like he didnt care. most of the time this occured in 250's and, honestly it makes me think that, though he gives of this humble vibe and reputation that there might be an ego there and an "im to good or this" attitude going on. it was shocking that he had that lack o spirit in antwerp and then he basically said after davis cup that he barely trained before the final. i want to see the fighter i know he is back . i've read interviews where he sounds hungry. he wants to get back to the top 10, he's talked about doing something big at the masters and slams. so i hope to see the david i love back on court and not this "i dont give a fuck" version o him i saw so often last year

i really do believe he can surprise in the olympics at tokyo i he stays it. it just brings out the best in him. there's only a handul o guy i'd say he cant beat at jis peak. singles medal i maintain is possible with some luck but mixed doubles is probably the best shot. we'll see if he plays with elise a couple times or at all before tokyo. i dont want him to play with kim

i also obviously agree about the titles. he only has 5(i count the doubles title). for someone o his talent thats not nearly enough. im not sure how many years he has left where he can compete for titles. his game is a lot like davydenko's and davy tapered off around the same age so im not optimistic he'll be doing much. i'd hope for the singles count to reach at least 10 but that would mean he'd have to win 6 more and that doesnt seem likely. ingers crossed for some luck at another masters..and maybe even a slam

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
david looking really good here today, up 6-4 5-1 right now. good serving stats. saved all 5 break points he faced. he's playing well. normally albot gives him a lot to handle so this is encouraging

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
david wins 6-4 6-1. thats a really good win for him over an opponent who usually really makes him work.

6 aces. 61% won off second serve and all 5 break points aced he saved. really strong start to the year. hoping that is a sign of things to come

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm here! :)

Great match from David today to start the season. Also really liked his post-match interview, he seems relaxed and in a good mood.

Also, I thought Thomas Johansson was a bit too much of a "nice guy" to bring David to the next level, but after seeing and hearing him coach Darcis and David during changeovers, boy can he be strict and bitchy lol. I didn't know he could be so harsh.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm here! :)

Great match from David today to start the season. Also really liked his post-match interview, he seems relaxed and in a good mood.

Also, I thought Thomas Johansson was a bit too much of a "nice guy" to bring David to the next level, but after seeing and hearing him coach Darcis and David during changeovers, boy can he be strict and bitchy lol. I didn't know he could be so harsh.
yeah, that was a side i hadnt seen before. but i do think david needs more of that. not to much, obviously . find a balance so that they dont ruin what they have but he does need someone who's not afraid to be harsh when he needs to

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so today he faces Evans. Thats a crucial match for him because, based off what i saw from darcis i doubt he'll beat norrie. coppejans maybe but norrie will be the favorite either way. I eel like evans aggressive style could really bother him. evans also likes to employ the slice, which david tends to struggle with. I still favor david but it'll be tricky and a good start will be key. it'll likely be a must win situation for him and belgium so i hope he can get it done. evans will be extra motivated. if britain loses this one they'll be eliminated

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is just awul stuff from him. what the hell. broken from 30-0 up. evans serving for the set at 5-2

was brilliant at saving break points last time. went 5/5. now broken 3 times out of 3

evans is playing well to be fair. but still.

evans serving for the set up 5-2..

0-15

15-15

15-30

15-40

he breaks back

down 3-5 now

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
david with a hold at love. trails 4-5. evans serving or it again. probably to much to hope for for another break

evans serving..

15-0

15-15

15-30

30-30

40-30

40-40

adv. evans

and there's the set

dam it.

hope he can win in 3 now.

·