Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
59,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
World number five David Ferrer has enjoyed a meteoric rise up the rankings over the past couple of years.

He is currently at a career-high ranking, reached the US Open semi-finals last year after a stunning win over Rafael Nadal, and lost to Roger Federer in the final of the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai.

The 25-year-old Spaniard is currently in Rotterdam, where he has been competing in the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament, and he took time out to answer questions from 606 users.

Hi David
If you could win only one more tournament in your career which one would you choose?
From martinsaaan

"Obviously it would be a Grand Slam. I would choose Roland Garros."

How does it feel knowing even though you are playing so well and at 5 in the world at the moment, you are still Spanish Number 2 and that it is probably Nadal who gets most the attention. What sort of rivalry do you have with Nadal. Is it good for you and do you enjoy playing fellow Spaniards on tour or would you prefer not playing them?
From HammeringSanj

"That's fine for me. That's Rafa's fault (laughing since Nadal is just sitting next to him). It's normal that he gets a lot of attention with all the success he has."

As a leading pro from a successful tennis nation, how do you and others in your position view the Davis Cup, is it mostly seen as a burden on your schedule?
From nasher 3230

"I like Davis Cup because you play in a team. As a child you always watch it and you dream about being there. It's nice to play for your country."

If you could change or introduce one rule in tennis what would it be and why?
From icelandic-superlion

"I would introduce a rule that you are not allowed to serve faster than 100km/h (laughing).

Hello David
Who do you get on with best/who are the real characters on the tour the moment?
From hernanjorgecrespo

"I get along very well with all the Spanish players and many others players. I think there's a lot of interesting players on the tour right now. Baghdatis for example is a real character."

David Ferrer and Roger Federer
Ferrer lost to Federer in last year's Masters Cup final in China

Were you good at any other sports whilst growing up? Also do you follow football and do you support any team in La Liga?
From omegaSoodaBondai

"I played sometimes for fun but never in a team. My favourite team is FC Barcelona and also Valencia. If I just say Barca some fellow Spanish players (sitting next to him) won't be happy (laughing).

Hello David,
After a great run of form towards the end of last season, how hard was it to stop over Christmas? You must have been sorry the season couldn't continue.
From Anroard_magpie

"I enjoyed Christmas at home, eating Turron."

David,
What are your personal goals for this year? Do you expect to win a Grand Slam, particularly after the fantastic display of tennis we saw from you at the end of last year?
From james_allsports

"I don't have a special goal. It will be another season in which I will try to give my best in every tournament I play."

David,
Please comment on which player(s) you have played against that you think have the best (please include yourself in this):-
From galaxyking

1) Serve - KARLOVIC
2) Forehand - FEDERER
3) Backhand - NALBANDIAN
4) Net play - FEDERER
5) Court coverage - NADAL
6) Temperament - NADAL

David
I wish you all the best throughout the 2008 season. I think you are such a tenacious player on court and one of the most interesting players to watch currently. I notice you always wear a whale fin pendant. Does this signify anything?
From Colleenusa

"It doesn't signify anything. It's just a gift."

Which is your favourite country and why (of course beside your country)?
From MARINA_1512

"That's a difficult question. I think probably Italy."

Hi David,
Good to see you getting some exposure in the UK. My question is that the facilities for bringing on young players in Spain seem to be very good. Did you receive a good training in Javea? By the way my wife sat next to your Mum yesterday in Peluqueria Isabel and many years ago when your Dad came to give us an estimate for our pool, our dog chased him around the garden!
From njinskyspain

"I don't practice in Javea, I practise in Valencia. I just go there to spend time with my family and relax."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7257216.stm

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Pics smokes, eats hamburgers and turron. :eek:

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Very nice interview there. I reckon the players would feel really uncomfortable answering the question about their favourite country besides their own, but it's interesting to read those responses.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
"I would introduce a rule that you are not allowed to serve faster than 100km/h (laughing).

:rolleyes: moonballer

·
Ace Loveforty
83,411 Posts
actually Ferrer is one of the best in returning fast serves
Duck knows it well

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
Such a down to earth guy :)
Hope he continues another successful year !

Reactions: scarecrows

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Pics I like you more and more. :hearts:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Thanks for posting this- he continues to foster my impression that he is a nice fella.

Good luck in his next tournament- and I hope he does well at IW and Miami.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Picsy is such a sweetie :sad::confused:

It's so funny when ppl get all personal in their questions :lol: My mother's niece's stepfather's cousin crossed the street at the same time as your grandfather back in 1999

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
By and large all Spanish players seem to be down to earth and very nice. I remember years ago Tennis magazine from the US, had an article about the camaradrie between Spanish players and how they hung around and supported each other at matches and compared it to the US players then. I met a few Spanish and saw their practising and they were so much like kids laughing and joking. However when the practice session started it was all serious stuff.

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Keep going David! :yeah:

Hi David,
Good to see you getting some exposure in the UK. My question is that the facilities for bringing on young players in Spain seem to be very good. Did you receive a good training in Javea? By the way my wife sat next to your Mum yesterday in Peluqueria Isabel and many years ago when your Dad came to give us an estimate for our pool, our dog chased him around the garden!
From njinskyspain
:spit: :rolls:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts