Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lindsay Davenport is one of only three players so far to post a winning record under this system.

'Elite wins' = wins over Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Jenn, Monica, Jelena, Kim, Amelie, Justine, Martina, Daniela or Chanda

Code:
Stuttgart       QF W MAURESMO    6-4 6-2   
Stuttgart       SF W HINGIS      2-1 Retired  
Stuttgart       FR W HENIN       7-5 6-4   
Zurich          QF W HANTUCHOVA  3-6 6-1 6-1   
Zurich          SF W CAPRIATI    6-1 5-7 6-2   
Zurich          FR W DOKIC       6-3 6-1   
Linz            QF W TESTUD      6-1 7-6(7)   
Linz            FR W DOKIC       6-4 6-1   
WTA Champ       QF W DOKIC       6-4 6-2   
WTA Champ       SF W CLIJSTERS   1-6 6-3 7-6   
[s]WTA Champ       FR L S.WILLIAMS  Walkover[/s]

Stanford        QF W DOKIC       6-2 6-2   
Stanford        SF L CLIJSTERS   6-4 4-6 2-6   
San Diego       16 W RUBIN       6-2 2-6 6-1   
San Diego       SF L V.WILLIAMS  2-6 1-6   
Los Angeles     FR L RUBIN       7-5 6-7 3-6   
New Haven       QF W MAURESMO    7-6 6-3   
New Haven       FR L V.WILLIAMS  5-7 0-6   
U.S. Open       SF L S.WILLIAMS  3-6 5-7   

13-5

13 wins over elite players vs
 5 losses total inthe past 12 months
Even just counting her return from injury, she's 3-5. That's still the 3rd best winning percentage
on the tour under this system.

·
Registered
109 Posts
lol, hmm, maybe, o i dont know....could their last name be williams :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GO LINDSAY! see, she is one of the best :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jarrett - That gets into judgement calls I don't want to make. In January, Shaughnessy and Dementieva looked like they should be included in this group. Didn't work out. I still haven't included Myskina, and I probably won't til next year. It's no more perfect than any other system. But even if you take that one away, 12-5 is a hell of a record. That's five losses all year long, to anyone. That's why some players do very well in this system, but most don't. In some ways, it's really about the players ability to not lose matches.

·
Registered
51 Posts
And why wouldn't the walkover be counted as a loss? ITFTennis.com counts it as one.

W.T.A. Tour Championships GER

WT 30 Oct 2001 - 04 Nov 2001 Hard (I)
Entry: DA Seed: 2
16 W Amanda COETZER (RSA) 6-3 6-3
QF W Jelena DOKIC (YUG) 6-4 6-2
SF W Kim CLIJSTERS (BEL) 1-6 6-3 7-6(3)
FR L Serena WILLIAMS (USA) Walkover

·
Registered
51 Posts
If at the time Lindsay beat or lost to them was high (top 10) they should be included. Daniela had no impressive wins at that time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't count walkovers. A match that never starts is never played. The ITF can do whatever they want. I do count retirements.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jarrett - I've done a few of these the past couple weeks. I try to keep the criteria consistent. I decided the criteria a couple weeks back.

Hantuchova's in, Rubin's in, Shaughnessy out, Dementieva out, Farina-Elia out (reluctantly), Myskina out (though if she beats Kim tomorrow ....)

Call it arbitrary, if you want. I was trying for a rough consistency and beleive tha I have achieved it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I still don't understand your logic. Myskina would be in because of something she did now, but then count a loss again her when she played someone else last year when she was a totally different player.

·
Registered
51 Posts
But do whatever helps to past the time.. WHY AM I ON THIS BOARD? I have 4 tests to take tomorrow :eek: lol Study Jarett! Grumble....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jarett you have it :D
Volcana just agree with what hes saying. No "perfect perfect system" can only be mde by a "not perfect player" just wake up and smell the bloody coffee for once you a W R O N G

·
Registered
27 Posts
To be fair, I don't think Hantuchova was that far off last year. She did have some three-set tussles with Davenport and Capriati while both players were on winning streaks.

Her form then was probably comparable to where Myskina was earlier this year when Myskina had close ones against Venus and Capriati. (Mind you, I'm making all these calls based on numbers because it was nearly impossible for me to see any of these matches.)

I'm not sure I'd call Daniela "elite" though. Then again, I wouldn't have called Testud "elite" either, and she spent some time in the Top 10 this year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Daniela is not elite.
Testud has elite ability, shes just inconsistent. but shes beaten all the top players, and thats what matters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Daniela is not elite.
Testud has elite ability, shes just inconsistent. but shes beaten all the top players, and thats what matters.
I meant "Elite" the way Volcana has defined it, of course.

Too bad she could never beat Hingis. *sigh*

·
Registered
77 Posts
What is your freaking problem Allegra? So what if Volcana posts a thread that makes no sense to YOU? If you've got nothing intelligent to say, why not just shut up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts