Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how ATP made the calendar for 2012 giving Washington 500 Series Tournament in a same week with London Olympics, it it little bit weird.

What will be players decision ? 56 of 65 players (due to rankings 6.2.12) are eligible to play Olympics, only players like Verdasco, Granollers, Benneteau, Llodra, Andujar, Ferrero, Montaňes, Blake and Chardy are OUT in Olympics because of maximum 4 players per country.

I personnaly think playing Washington 500 tournamnent with just 9 players of top 65 is a great chance for another players - maybe more interesting than playing Olympics, because of huge prize money and af course, ranking points are great at 500´s.

What do you guys think ? Prefer Olympics (yes, nationality-thing + olympics once in 4 years) or Washington 500 (low level of players, great chance for somebody ranked, let´s say 60 to make a breakthrough)?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, imagine you´re ranked 59-65. You can choose between playing Olympics with biggest stars of tennis and hoping to reach at least Round 2 or playing weak 500 (!) tournament. I think very hard decision.

·
A happy person
44,893 Posts
I think not everyone wants really to play Olympics. Washington won't have as weak list as we expect now.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Interesting question : I wonder who will choose to play Washington indeed, it will get interesting in next months to know about that.

How about American players especially ?

I don't think the list will be as bad as you think but it will be surely weaker than previous years ... where Washington already was one of the weakest ATP500 tournaments).

Then yes : it will be cheap points.

Not only that but also I guess that players who will choose not to play the Olympics might be better prepared for Toronto on next week,
and that with all of the best players playing the Olympics, maybe playing also doubles, mixed doubles, with the different surface and jetlag, Toronto might get a "cheap tournament" as well, not a "top-4" property.

I guess choosing not to go to the Olympics might be a very good choice ranking-wise.

I wonder how ATP made the calendar for 2012 giving Washington 500 Series Tournament in a same week with London Olympics, it it little bit weird.
I think they had no choice : Los Angeles, Atlanta and Newport "own their week in the calendar", they paid for that, and they had no interest in changing themselves.

·
A happy person
44,893 Posts
Yeah, American players.. Especially Isner and Roddick had great successes in Washington earlier. I bet they will play there. :)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Yeah, I highly doubt all eligible players will go to Olympics... tennis is clearly not prestigious as an Olympic sport, plus some clay players wouldn't want to waste time playing on grass.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
As a gilles simon fan i wouldn't mind him playing washington instead of the olympics. Obviously he will probably want to be part of the olympics but realistically he has a much better shot at winning washington than a medal.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Yeah, American players.. Especially Isner and Roddick had great successes in Washington earlier. I bet they will play there. :)
Given it's at Wimbledon I doubt Roddick will choose to play Washinton instead. Maybe even the same for Isner considering that epic 2 years ago.

·
A happy person
44,893 Posts
Given it's at Wimbledon I doubt Roddick will choose to play Washinton instead. Maybe even the same for Isner considering that epic 2 years ago.
It's true as well.. But Isner is better on hard, I hope his decision will be Washington.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don´t think that Roddick or Isner would play Washington, really. But there´s a big chance for Verdasco to improve his ranking in Washington.

For example, Lukas Lacko´s goal for 2012 was to get to Olympics, and he could be out after one day of play. Washington would be better choice, IMO.

I am very curious, which players decide to play Olympics or skip it, could be interesting.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
I'm not as sure as some other ones about Roddick's, Fish's or Isner's decisions.

Washington will certainly propose a lot of money to Roddick, and he played there instead of the Olympics during the last Olympics in Beijing (yes the fact that it was in Beijing certainly played a role in that).

And he's already committed to Atlanta two weeks before the Olympics (Isner as well)

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
i have a feeling how Davydenko gonna play Washington :D :D :D

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
For the top-30 players, playing Washington would also be good ranking-wise because it would count as one ATP500 tournament played.

Remember that those who won't play 4 ATP500 tournaments this year will get a zeropointer in their ranking (except if they consider the Olympics like the ATP500 tournaments for that rule but I guess not because they don't need to motivate players to play that).

By the way, I've still not heard of the number of ATP points which they will give for the Olympics.

If it was like in 2008, it would be 800 points for the winner, between an ATP500 tournament and a MS1000 tournament.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts