Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there are a few key player(s) to look out for at the 2012 slams, that may upset or at least create significant trouble (i.e. exhaust a player's run), who would they be in your opinion?

From what I've seen this year and the past years even, I believe Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, would be one player the top 3 would likely to avoid in their half of the draws. I think even if he were not to defeat them at the slams, he would definitely exhaust the top 3 before they face off with each other. He's one of the few players that has consistently been reaching most of the QFs.

Is there anyone else that comes to mind?

I think if Del Potro can get fit, he might create some trouble. His technique is still amazing, he was hitting the lines, and his devastating forehand was still clicking. This is a big "IF".

Players that will probably decline in 2012 are Soderling (constantly sick), and probably Gael Monfils because he seems to have some weak legs. He's almost always injured.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
If there are a few key player(s) to look out for at the 2012 slams, that may upset or at least create significant trouble (i.e. exhaust a player's run), who would they be in your opinion?

From what I've seen this year and the past years even, I believe Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, would be one player the top 3 would likely to avoid in their half of the draws. I think even if he were not to defeat them at the slams, he would definitely exhaust the top 3 before they face off with each other. He's one of the few players that has consistently been reaching most of the QFs.

I think if Del Potro can get fit, he might create some trouble. His technique is still amazing, he was hitting the lines, and his devastating forehand was still clicking. This is a big "IF".

Players that will probably decline in 2012 are Soderling (constantly sick), and probably Gael Monfils because he seems to have some weak legs. He's almost always injured.

Gael Monfils will be a beast if he could every stay healthy but that will never happen. I would have to say DelPo.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's quite athletic. He had one strong run in the SF of Roland Garros where he gave Federer problems. Too bad his injuries are a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
fognini

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The most dangerous player out there is Judy Murray. If she chews up and spits out Feli, there's no telling who'll become her next victim. ATP, beware! (Recommended reading: Tolkien's chapters on Shelob)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Good thread.

Delpo first and foremost has shown he can compete with anyone when he's at the top of his game.

Tsonga is definitely a top 9 player, who has potential to play lights out. Now that Berdych broke up with Safarova some people have suggested he is more hungry than ever for success in tennis, but we will wait and see.

Gulbis and Dolgopolov on clay are players to watch out for, although neither is a contender for RG, of course.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
None. All new players are mugs.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Maybe dolgopolov or robotic raonic, but the youngsters really have a long way to go. I actually think this fall/offseason will be career-defining for a lot of the top players and what we'll see next year. Nadal, Berdych, Soderling, Roddick, Ferrer. Will they continue to decline or will they come back with a passion?

And will monfils finally put it together, doubt it.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dolgopolov needs a better serve and better mentality. I think he's a cool player, just needs more experience and consistency.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Dolgopolov and Tsonga.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Seems that both Tsonga and Monfils are prone to injury. Agree about Dolgopolov, needs more consistency. However, he has that air about him of someone who can pull off a couple of upsets but wont go the distance. I really find it quite surprising that there are no players to get excited about. The ones who were a surprise this year are relatively old, Fish...even Tsonga is 26.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
First of all, one always believes in one's man and then there is Dolgopolov.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
an old Davydenko gonna beat yar ass :D

·
Registered
7,805 Posts

Hey now don't jump the gun. Soderling has had mono and before that he showed some of the most impressive play of the entire season winning an ATP tournament dropping only 13 games and making Berdych and Ferrer look like fools. Can look out for him already when the indoor season starts. He is 2-0 against Jo-Wilfred this season for example. (5-0 career) Also 2nd in titles after Djokovic which is a bit funny considering how much he's been sick/not even playing. He will be back with a vengeance in 2012 because of missing so much in 2011 due to mono.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Gasquet, Del Potro, Raonic, Nalbandian, Krajinovic and Dimitrov.

Plus Fognini! Chance for Top 20.

And I see Roger Federer back at the top of the rankings! :)

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
None. I was thinking about Dolgopolov and Dimitrov... but the reality is, none of them could be a threat. So there will be no NEW dangerous players in 2012. Like the past 5-6 years, 2012 again will be the year of Roger-Rafa-Nole-Murray. That's all.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Soderling if healthy, he will be very hungry and what helps him is that he is not much of a confidence player, i mean he can play light out tennis out of nowhere.

Fish, Dolgopolov, Isner should be dangerous.

I would like Gulbis and Golubev (players with tons of potential) doing well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts