Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is customary for Thai males to join the monkhood after the age of 21. They can enter for 1 day or longer, and leave whenever they wish to do so. tHere is no stigma attached to leaving, but as long as one is a monk he has to abide by the strict rules of the monkhood. Today was the turn of Danai Udomchoke. I don't know how long he will enter the monkhood because the Thai English newspapers had only pictures. Unfortunately, I don't read Thai so I cant read Thai language newspapers. maybe a poster from Thailand could enlighten us on the length of his ordination.If I find more information on Danai's ordination I will post it here.

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Re: No1 Thai Tennis player Danai Udomchoke entered the monkhood today

After he goes out, his mental strength will blow Nadal off the court in Paris, and Roger in Wimbledon

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts

From his website.

I don't go much on the baldness, but understand this is how things are done. Good for him =)

Reactions: DhammaTiger

·
Registered
26,748 Posts

Did he even shave his eyebrows? :unsure:

·
Registered
97,310 Posts

Did Paradorn also have this?

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Did Paradorn also have this?
yes, Paradorn did also. There is a thread with pictures for Balls's ordination somewhere on MTF.

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If you notice the different colours of the robes in the pictures I posted and the one posted br Kristen. The first pictures are pre-ordination robes. The man who wants to be a monk is known as naga, and after he is ordained he becomes a monk. White pre-ordination robes are donned after his head and eye brows are shaved by his parents or senior family member. Then they walk in procession to the temple. Outside Bangkok they sometimes ride elephants and with music bands. It's very colourful.
After the ordination the new monk has to don the safron robes like the picture in posted by Kristen. Regardless how long Danai stay as a monk, he has to strictly follow 227 rules of the monkhood. These include not having any meals after midday and he has to go and collect alms everyday. Even the King of Thailand when he was a monk he had to follow.
You can read more about life as a monk in the following account by an Englishman who became a monk in Thailand:
"Phra Farang:An English Monk in Thailand" by Phra Peter Pannapadipo.

From looking at danai's schedule, i would suppose he will be a monk for a few days, as he is scheduled to play in the Sunrise Challenger in Miami starting 17th March.

you can find schedule for all thai players on:

http://www.jirobkk.com

·
Registered
1 Posts

This german sports site reports it will be for two weeks.

Translation:
Thailand's No.1 tennis player Danai Udomchoke, will spend the next two weeks as a monk in a buddhist monastery in Bangkok.
The 26 year old, who surprisingly won the opening singles match of the 2006 Davis Cup relagation tie in Düsseldorf against Tommy Haas, shaved his head and swapped his tennis outfit for a monks robe.
According to himself, Udomchoke will spend the next 14 days recovering his inner center through intensive study of the buddhist teachings and meditation exercises. "The last two months I lost more matches then I won" Udomchoke says, "I just need tranquillity to find myself again."

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

This german sports site reports it will be for two weeks.

Translation:
Thailand's No.1 tennis player Danai Udomchoke, will spend the next two weeks as a monk in a buddhist monastery in Bangkok.
The 26 year old, who surprisingly won the opening singles match of the 2006 Davis Cup relagation tie in Düsseldorf against Tommy Haas, shaved his head and swapped his tennis outfit for a monks robe.
According to himself, Udomchoke will spend the next 14 days recovering his inner center through intensive study of the buddhist teachings and meditation exercises. "The last two months I lost more matches then I won" Udomchoke says, "I just need tranquillity to find myself again."
Thank you very much for posting this. My handicap is that I cannot read Thai, and none of the English language Thai papers had any information except the pictures. Being away away from Thailand doesn't help me to get the Thai language information on hiswebsite translated into English. I have asked friends in Bangkok to translate the news on his website and if there areadditional information I will post. Meanwhile, whatever you posted is very informative indeed, and makessense as he is in a bad slump. So I guess he won't be in the Sunbelt challenger starting 17 March.

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Pik's new updated schedule states he will return to Tennis on 11 April for Davis Cup aginst Australia in Melbourne.

Here is interesting personal information on Danai courtesy of jirobkk.com :

Nicknamed "Pik" in his native country......Began playing tennis at age 8 as recommended by his doctor because he was so physically weak at that time.......Father, Vuthipan is a lawyer and Mother, Kanchana, own a boutique shop....Danai was fully encouraged by his parents to play tennis seriously, and he himself enjoyed tennis games so much that he continued practicing very hard and competing in tournaments throughout his childhood.....Studying law in Bangkok University.......Hobbies include listening to the music and computor game......At Southeast Asia Games in Malaysia in 2001, captured two gold medalist, winning singles, doubles (w/ Vittaya Samrej) and in Vietnam in 2003, winning gold medal in singles..... At Asian Games in Doha Qatar in 2006, winning gold medal in single........Also has an older sister, (Kittiwan)...Considers groundstrokes as strength and hard courts as favorite surface... A member of Thailand's Davis Cup team since 1998.....Coached by Jan Storces of Czech Republic (Only part-time)
http://www.jirobkk.com/player_profile_pik.htm

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Re: Danai Udomchoke will return to tennis on 11April in Davis Cup tie vs Aus

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Khun Jiro khop khun mak mak krap for posting Danai's ordination pictures here. Choke dee na krap for your website. I am already a member and I do visit it frequently.

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thai Tennis Star Ordains as Monk

From SuperTennis - Top Thai tennis player Danai Udomchoke has shaved his head and been ordained as a monk in a Buddhist monastery in Bangkok, saying he wants calm to help improve his game, Thai media said on Monday.

Speaking in a Thai radio interview before his ordination on Sunday, Danai said that he would study Buddhism and perform religious practices like meditation.

“This is something I have wanted to do for a long time, and now the time is right,” he told the Bangkok Post, saying he would be in a monastery for 15 days.

“But who knows? I may stay longer,” Danai said. “I have had more defeats than wins lately. I need calmness.”

Danai said he had hoped to compete in US tournaments during this period, but his scores were not high enough.

Among Thai tennis players, Danai is second in success only to Paradorn Srichapan. With Paradorn off the court to nurse a wrist injury, Thai tennis fans have turned their attention to Danai, currently ranked 199th in the world.

He was once among the world’s top 100 players, and performed better than any other Asian player at the Australian Open last year.

Danai led the Thai national tennis team in the most recent Asian Games.

Paradorn was also ordained as a monk for a week in 2005, hoping that meditations would improve his game.
http://preciousmetal.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/thai-tennis-start-ordains-as-monk/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts