16 Gaël Monfils Prime
17 Kevin Anderson Peak
18 John Isner Decline
19 Richard Gasquet Terminal Decline
20 Tommy Robredo Terminal Decline

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I got to Federer and just assumed he was a hater. Then I saw Murray, who just won his first Clay title, and first Clay Masters and took Djokovic to 5 sets on clay, and he's on a decline? I can't find the words to describe how incorrect this list is.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
1 Novak Djokovic Prime
2 Roger Federer Terminal Decline
3 Andy Murray Decline
4 Stan Wawrinka Peak
5 Kei Nishikori Peak
6 Tomáš Berdych Decline
7 David Ferrer Terminal Decline
8 Milos Raonic Prime
9 Marin Čilić Peak
10 Rafael Nadal Terminal Decline
11 Grigor Dimitrov Prime
12 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Decline
13 Gilles Simon Terminal Decline
14 Feliciano López Decline
15 David Goffin Prime
16 Gaël Monfils Prime
17 Kevin Anderson Peak
18 John Isner Decline
19 Richard Gasquet Terminal Decline
i agree with most, except i'd expect goffin to improve considerably. and murray is no longer on the decline... no way.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Djokovic in his prime?? Not really anymore, maybe about 90/100% from his best. Next year 80-85%. Federer is definetly on his way down and so is Nadal.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
isn't Murray having his best ever season? What a legend doing it in his declining years.

Same with Fakervic, he is at his peak.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prime is understood here as pre- or post- peak performance period for said tennis player..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't think Nadal is in permanent decline. Just having a bad year. He was also in apparent decline in 2012, and in 2013 he had one of his best years.

Also I don't see Federer or Ferrer as permanent declining, just pretty much stable. You can be at a stable level without being in your prime.

And Dimitrov is not in his prime either. Looks like decline to me.

·
23,797 Posts
I still put Murray at Prime (not as good in form as he was due to injury but isn't Declining due to his game now improving for Clay).

Also, Lopez is having his "best form" last year, and did still have some good wins this year, so I think he's in Prime (even he's in a period of a bit of a decline).

·
Registered
863 Posts
1. Novak Djokovic Peak (showing cracks in the armor, mental department)
2. Roger Federer Decline
3. Andy Murray Prime (he is the kind of player to have peaks and valleys and right now he's up)
4. Stan Wawrinka Prime
5. Kei Nishikori Prime (he's at his prime putting it all together but not yet at his peak)
6. Tomáš Berdych Prime & Peak (he's the best version of himself there is- that can mean SFs or titles- all depends on the day)
7. David Ferrer Decline
8. Milos Raonic Prime
9. Marin Čilić Prime (his peak was the US Open- now it's his prime but not quite the ultimate highs)
10. Rafael Nadal Decline (He has risen more than Jesus and the Phoenix- i need the rest of the season to believe this decline is permanent)
11. Grigor Dimitrov Prime
12. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Prime
13. Gilles Simon Terminal Terminal Decline
14. Feliciano López Decline
15. David Goffin Prime
16. Gaël Monfils Prime & Peak (He's a Tier 3 great, now it's time for him start justifying the "great" and I think he will)
17. Kevin Anderson Peak
18. John Isner Decline
19. Richard Gasquet Terminal Decline
20. Tommy Robredo Terminal Decline

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
1. Novak Djokovic Peak (showing cracks in the armor, mental department)
2. Roger Federer Decline
3. Andy Murray Prime (he is the kind of player to have peaks and valleys and right now he's up)
4. Stan Wawrinka Prime
5. Kei Nishikori Prime (he's at his prime putting it all together but not yet at his peak)
6. Tomáš Berdych Prime & Peak (he's the best version of himself there is- that can mean SFs or titles- all depends on the day)
7. David Ferrer Decline
8. Milos Raonic Prime
9. Marin Čilić Prime (his peak was the US Open- now it's his prime but not quite the ultimate highs)
10. Rafael Nadal Decline (He has risen more than Jesus and the Phoenix- i need the rest of the season to believe this decline is permanent)
11. Grigor Dimitrov Prime
12. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Prime
13. Gilles Simon Terminal Terminal Decline
14. Feliciano López Decline
15. David Goffin Prime
16. Gaël Monfils Prime & Peak (He's a Tier 3 great, now it's time for him start justifying the "great" and I think he will)
17. Kevin Anderson Peak
18. John Isner Decline
19. Richard Gasquet Terminal Decline
20. Tommy Robredo Terminal Decline
1- Djokovic is definitely past his peak (2011-2012)-- only the competition is making him look that good and all conquering in 2015..

2- Federer has no forehand and reliable ground game-- and that is not coming back any time soon..He's definitely in terminal phase of the elite platyer he's been for more than decade..Again, competition is why he is world #2 in 2015..

3- Nadal is without doubt a severely declined player..It came so fast and in a heap, really..Here, i may agree with you, that there s slight chance that he pick up better form for solid run this year or next, but i have seen nothing to suggest otherwise as of today..

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
He was also in apparent decline in 2012, and in 2013 he had one of his best years.
Um no, he played one of his best ever Australian Opens and clay seasons in 2012, missing half the year from injury did not indicate he was declining. Better example would be late 2009/early 2010 before he went on a tear that year.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Isn't there a category of being on an upward trajectory - i.e. not yet at peak?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Murray definitely Prime.

And to have better analogy, think there needs to be one more adjective between Prime & Terminal Decline, as many of them fall exactly in between.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
1 Novak Djokovic Prime
2 Roger Federer Terminal Decline
3 Andy Murray Prime
4 Stan Wawrinka Peak
5 Kei Nishikori Peak (that's not saying much, isn't it?)
6 Tomáš Berdych Prime
7 David Ferrer Decline
8 Milos Raonic Prime
9 Marin Čilić Peak
10 Rafael Nadal Decline
11 Grigor Dimitrov Decline (for almost a whole year now)
12 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Prime/Decline (hard to tell, really)
13 Gilles Simon Decline
14 Feliciano López Prime
15 David Goffin Prime
16 Gaël Monfils Peak (same as Nishikori)
17 Kevin Anderson Prime
18 John Isner Decline
19 Richard Gasquet Prime/Terminal Decline (consistent top 20, but declined badly after 2007 :lol: )

1 - 20 of 50 Posts