Mens Tennis Forums banner

261 - 280 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Lacko has better FH than BH. I'm a big fan of him. His FH technique is one of the best. Federer-like.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he also has great backhand technique.

Such a waste of talent, Lacko.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Perhaps, but then can you really class Stepanek and Karlovic together under the simple description of "serve and volleyer" given the vast differences in their play? I realise we could nitpick for days over how many types of players there are, but still.
That's exactly why I decided to add in whether they preferred forehands or backhands, and whether they have a big serve or not. It obviously doesn't completely define each player, but it helps further distinguish them without the confusion of adding many sub-categories (with amusing names, I might add).

I'm undecided on Lacko. When a player has a reasonably equal forehand and backhand, I'd sway towards choosing the backhand, as there's already tonnes of players on the list who have a better forehand. It might not be strictly correct, mind you.

·
12,691 Posts

True. He is the biggest underachiever for me. Such a waste of talent. I made hightlights for his epic match with Tipsarevic in AO. One of the best matches I've ever seen in terms of pure shotmaking. Both played at their very best. Lacko deserved it more but sadly lost in the end. Got too tired in the end. Could barely stand on his feet.

You can see from these highlights that his FH is clearly better. His BH is great too though.

:drool:

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
80 P. Lorenzi - Defensive baseliner - (BH)
I think Lorenzi should be all-courter, as he goes to the net very often.

*I also thought his FH was better because he runs around his BH a lot, but after looking at some more videos I think you're right.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Yeah, Lorenzi is another one I wasn't sure about. I've seen many matches though where he's simply stayed at the baseline, but that was on the challenger circuit where he can survive at the back. Perhaps when he is up against tougher opposition, he has to be more creative.

·
Registered
57,538 Posts
1) Federer's serve is reasonably powerful, yes. Problem is, if you give the (P) to him, then you could argue that about a dozen others (including Murray) deserve it, and it's meant to be reasonably exclusive. Who that I gave a (P) to made you think Federer deserved one? Stako, Gimeno or somebody else? Removing the (P) from them would be a better idea.

2) As for Raonic, I disagree. I think of all-courters as players who are very adapt at both baseline and net. Whilst Raonic does come in often, I only see him volley well when he has to punch. Essentially, he looks wooden. He's underrated at the baseline though, which leads me to categorise him as a baseliner.

3) Yeah, I will change Djokovic. The truth is that I started doing this with only four categories (no moderate baseliner). If I'd done it from the beginning with all five, I'd have put Djokovic in the moderate category.

Also, I couldn't make my mind up about which wing is better for Thiem. Everybody talks about the backhand, but I've been impressed with how hard he can hit the forehand and for it to still seem very controlled. I couldn't make my mind up, I changed my mind from forehand to backhand, but I'm still not sure.
1 It's better than Wawrinka's imo. Even now. Wawrinka has days he just cannot find a serve, which Federer rarely does. Federer's serving consistency, with the exception of last year with back issues, is what makes his serve amazing. And yeah, his serve is wayyy better than Gimeno's. Stak's is tougher, because he has/had a huge serve that back injuries have tamed.
2 I mean, he doesn't have great touch. On par with Ferrer and probably worse than Nadal. But he DOES like to approach, and to me all court just means, well, you use the whole court.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
1) Federer's serve is reasonably powerful, yes. Problem is, if you give the (P) to him, then you could argue that about a dozen others (including Murray) deserve it, and it's meant to be reasonably exclusive. Who that I gave a (P) to made you think Federer deserved one? Stako, Gimeno or somebody else? Removing the (P) from them would be a better idea.
Wawrinka struck me as someone who deserves a P far less than Federer. Not sure why Verdasco has it at all to be honest.

I would say Cilic is an offensive baseliner, while Del Potro is a moderate.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
The (P) is given to those with a powerful serve, not necessarily the best servers. We're not gauging how good each player is here, we're defining how they play.

Wawrinka has a bigger serve than Federer, even if it isn't better. Verdasco mostly serves like he's wearing a skirt, yes, but occasionally he does hit it at very high speeds.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Cilic has better FH than BH, so as Giraldo, Lacko, Kamke, Nieminen, Kohli. and Kuznetsov is debatable
On the other hand ERV, Istomin, Carreno-Busta are better from BH.

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
That's exactly why I decided to add in whether they preferred forehands or backhands, and whether they have a big serve or not. It obviously doesn't completely define each player, but it helps further distinguish them without the confusion of adding many sub-categories (with amusing names, I might add).
Fair enough. The names are easily changed (not that they're confusing, Voo explains them all sufficiently) and it's a unique way of defining them. I can't say I agree with you that there isn't much variety these days though, at least among baseliners.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

Yeah, Lacko's backhand is unbelievably good. It's MUCH better than his FH. If you look at the technique, you can see that.

·
23,009 Posts
Personally I think the (P) attribute seems fitting to Stan because one of his main strength is the serve in addition to the BH. The most known weapons a player has should be their main attributes, especially if it is in the say Top 50 of all the players. He serves big and has a good number of 1st Serve points won.

·
12,691 Posts
Yeah, Lacko's backhand is unbelievably good. It's MUCH better than his FH. If you look at the technique, you can see that.
:superlol:

lol no it isn't. It is not even more solid than his FH. Lacko always had a better FH. I really don't know why ppl think his BH is better. It's not. His BH is good but his FH technique is perfect. His FH is easily top 5 for me when he is on because this shot looks so much like Federer's FH. Such a beautiful shot. I even watched him live in Doha and his FH was clearly the better wing. Most of his epic winners came from that wing. Not saying his BH is bad but it's nowhere as lethal as his FH.

Freak3yman84 thinks I'm right after watching the highlights I made. His BH is good but his FH is easily his biggest weapon.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Freak3yman84 thinks I'm right after watching the highlights I made. His BH is good but his FH is easily his biggest weapon.
Yeah, I agree that his forehand is better in terms of attacking potential, and solidity-wise I'd say it has the slight edge.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Cilic has better FH than BH, so as Giraldo, Lacko, Kamke, Nieminen, Kohli. and Kuznetsov is debatable
On the other hand ERV, Istomin, Carreno-Busta are better from BH.
Been out on the lash, lad?

Cilic's forehand is technically inferior to his backhand. Giraldo slaps his forehand, but his backhand is more technically sound, and he can hit great winners with it. Lacko, you may have a point on. Kamke and Nieminen have always seemed to have better backhands. But it's hard to tell with Nieminen because both his strokes are so unorthodox. I'm sorry but you cannot claim that Kohlschreiber has a better forehand than backhand. You need to watch again.

ERV and Istomin might be debatable, but Carreno-Busta seems to play the forehand much better. His backhand lets him down in long rallies, often.

261 - 280 of 300 Posts