Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
n 2009, the year he fully made his name with non hardcore fans, where did it come from? Was there warning signs? His odds v Nadal that day were 18.66. They are the type of odds you would see for someone like Chardy. Yet Robin made final after that and the WTF SF (beating Djok and Nadal) as well as making final again the year after and winning his first and sole masters event.

Prior to the win that year he....

• had won a challanger event.
  • lost 60 61 to Nadal on clay.
  • lost R1 of Monte Carlo,Miami and Indian Wells.

Reactions: IBM

·
Registered
243 Posts
That trippy forehand with huge swing.. flat, deep and impossible to read..

To me that guy was like watching some 80's star came from the past, just to teach today's kids some manners. But didn't last for long...

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Was it 2007 I watched him on Centre Court at Wimbledon giving Nadal a hard time? He was certainly known by then, whenever it was.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Robin Söderling was always talented with potential and big large groundstrokes. He became good with the help of Magnus Norman. After Magnus Norman coached wawrinka and turned him into a slam champion, it implies that the rapid rise of both players had a lot to do with Magnus Norman.

Söderling was entering the prime of his career and at the end of 2008 took on Norman as coach, and 6 months later he made the RG final. He was very mentally strong. Usually players who upset a top player lose the next match due to the pressure. But Söderking made the final. Tsonga recently said Nadal was injured and sad cause parents were divorcing in 2009 when he lost to Söderking, but I believe he mainly said that to minimize Söderling. If Söderling simply benefitted from beating Nadal its a damn coincidence that he happened to make the final, routining Davydenko on the way in 3 For some reason Söderling was always kind of despised in the locker room. When playing nadal at wimbly 2008, he got annoyed and mocked Nadals buttpicking. Söderling was a pretty cold and ruthless guy. He was a competitor in a way none of the other "next 4" were.

If Söderling stayed healthy I am convinced he would have won a slam. I mean he beat Nadal and Federer at Roland Garros, I dont see why he couldnt have beaten Djockovic as well there. Murray is lucky that Söderling and Del Potro were perpetually injured or sick for him to make it into the "big 4". I mean

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Was it 2007 I watched him on Centre Court at Wimbledon giving Nadal a hard time? He was certainly known by then, whenever it was.
Took about 4 days to complete that match IIRC due to the horrible weather and the roof still being constructed. Didn't Nadal also call Soderling wierd after the game?

·
29,637 Posts
Magnus Norman's coaching ability can be epitomised by Soderling's rise and Wawrinka's eventual success. Two fairly talented players who hadn't cracked their glass ceiling and Magnus extracted the best from both.

31/5/09 was just a guy in the zone. Served like Isner on a clay court on a wet, overcast day, and he mopped up any short returns. Jo disappointed me with his comments, I feel like the group of players below the big 3/Murray etc will always be a bit bitter towards each other's highlights, for example I can imagine Cilic's USO went down like a lead balloon with a few of them.

Never forget Robin's last match was a rout of Ferrer on a clay court too. Mono affects people in various ways. Fed got the minor stuff. Soderling and Ancic got it bad man. Sad times.

If he'd been healthy and stuck around he might have had chances in a few slams that opened up for sure.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Nothing curious really. Always had the potential.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Wonder if Soderling tested positive on the downlow? Hate to be suspicious but his career trajectory and sudden ending are some connectable dots. Again, hate to be suspicious, some careers follow different paths.

Bottom line is Soderling played some unforgettable power tennis none of us will ever forget. He smashed Nadal off his favorite court not unlike Mike Tyson in boxing.

Career ending mono after one of his career best wins? Safe to say it never happened before and it will never happen again.

·
29,637 Posts
Wonder if Soderling tested positive on the downlow? Hate to be suspicious but his career trajectory and sudden ending are some connectable dots. Again, hate to be suspicious, some careers follow different paths.

Bottom line is Soderling played some unforgettable power tennis none of us will ever forget. He smashed Nadal off his favorite court not unlike Mike Tyson in boxing.

Career ending mono after one of his career best wins? Safe to say it never happened before and it will never happen again.
Would be surprising given Soderling's status as an anti-establishment type. Tended to say what he thought, and a few players disliked him, so he wouldn't exactly be someone people would rush to cover up

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Robin Söderling was always talented with potential and big large groundstrokes. He became good with the help of Magnus Norman. After Magnus Norman coached wawrinka and turned him into a slam champion, it implies that the rapid rise of both players had a lot to do with Magnus Norman.

Söderling was entering the prime of his career and at the end of 2008 took on Norman as coach, and 6 months later he made the RG final. He was very mentally strong. Usually players who upset a top player lose the next match due to the pressure. But Söderking made the final. Tsonga recently said Nadal was injured and sad cause parents were divorcing in 2009 when he lost to Söderking, but I believe he mainly said that to minimize Söderling. If Söderling simply benefitted from beating Nadal its a damn coincidence that he happened to make the final, routining Davydenko on the way in 3 For some reason Söderling was always kind of despised in the locker room. When playing nadal at wimbly 2008, he got annoyed and mocked Nadals buttpicking. Söderling was a pretty cold and ruthless guy. He was a competitor in a way none of the other "next 4" were.

If Söderling stayed healthy I am convinced he would have won a slam. I mean he beat Nadal and Federer at Roland Garros, I dont see why he couldnt have beaten Djockovic as well there. Murray is lucky that Söderling and Del Potro were perpetually injured or sick for him to make it into the "big 4". I mean
Soderling had all the tools except his psyche let him down more than anything else but Novak had his number except in 2009 ATP finals. Also wouldn’t dismiss Murray so easily as he overcame his demons to become ATG at WB & only one who really stopped him from multiple AO’s was the currently residing King of AO.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Not only he was the first player to beat Nadal at RG (and only one for a decade), but he was also the player that ended Federer's eternal SF streak at slams. Two of the most amazing streaks ever interrupted by him.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
There are rumours about that, just check the scorelines of the last tournament he played.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Could u b little more specific? All i’m finding about this term is homosexuality.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Nothing curious really. Always had the potential.
Says the guy who admitted to only watching tennis after he retired. Probably watched about 2 matches (if that) of Robin Soderling prior to his win versus Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Says the guy who admitted to only watching tennis after he retired.
Wut? Stop pulling stuff out of your ass lol. Either that or I have you feeling some type of way when your mind goes about creating alternative realities.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Soderling had game even in 2006 against peak Federer.

Crazy tiebreak finish, that. Seriously unlucky.

Probably a bit too much is said about this mental strength.

He couldnt cope against Federer at slams at all.

Made a blunder of his BP chances in the '09 FO final. Messed up both tiebreaks at '09 Wimbledon.

Hastily made a bad return error on set point at the '09 USO, when Federer was visibly a bit shook up.

Then failed to serve out the '10 USO 3rd set against Federer and broke himself afterwards again in even worse fashion.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
"I have heard of cases of the ITF covering up positive tests." - Jonas Bjorkman

If that allegation is true and he was not sued for the quote which appeared in Sports Illustrated, one would think a monied player like Soderling would neogotiate a silent ban or cover up, if it were in fact the case. But we are just speculating of course. We don't really know if Soderling ever used any PEDs or if he really contracted mono or mono was his cover. But we are allowed to speculate and question everything. Truth does not fear questions or investigation. Only lies do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts