Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was interested to read this. Didn't realise Cuevas was held in such high regard by the next gen.

__

Stefanos Tsitsipas enjoyed having fans watching his match so much that he forgot he needed to win as he defeated childhood ‘idol’ Pablo Cuevas 7-5 6-4 to reach the quarter-finals of the Hamburg European Open.

And Tsitsipas relished having fans in attendance, which, along with playing against someone he idolised as a youngster, created the conditions that caused him to lose focus for a little while.
“I have a lot of respect for him. He is a very difficult opponent to face, particularly on this surface,” Tsitsipas, 22, said of his 34-year-old opponent. “He is a good friend and one of my idols growing up. It was a great match and I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Pablo Cuevas really looks like a 34 years old these days.

His game is rather enjoyable but probably overrated, other than a good win against Fernando Verdasco in a final at Bastad, i don't remember many good results from him on the surface.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cuevas is always great at pulling off those spectacular shots.

Not much else.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Cuevas was fantastic on clay at his best, a real joy to watch; always threw in some of the most impressive hotshots. He's totally finished nowadays though; looks quite slow...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Cuevas has been a fine steady and flashy player but somehow he's always been totally under the radar. Even won a major doubles title. Tsitsipas has sophisticated taste.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It is actually possible to have tennis references outside the big-3. Cuevas has a nice, well-measured aggressive game on clay when he is on. Quite nice to behold. Can see some similarities to Tsitsipas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts