Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19,315 Posts
Re: Cuevas admits that Sao Paulo was a bit of lucky title

Well he did play VANNI of all people in the final who also served for the match in the third

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Re: Cuevas admits that Sao Paulo was a bit of lucky title & stays positive for the Fi

He said that the match tomorrow is obviously different than Sao Paulo's because there he played a player outside the top 100 while tomorrow he is facing the best.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: Cuevas admits that Sao Paulo was a bit of lucky title & stays positive for the Fi

Didn't know he can't speak English. Good answer, though.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

He still can't speak English? What a disgrace.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

As a professional tennis player I think it's essential to be able to speak English. Of course, U don't need to speak as good as native speakers, but just good enough for the press and the media to understand U. Just like ferrer for example.

·
Bring it Home
20,485 Posts

Sadly this is quite common among South American tennis players. :facepalm:

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

is it that he cant speak english or that he is just more comfortable speaking in his language

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlGuirkt_z0&feature=youtu.be

I asked the question today. When he answered like that, i was like lol :lol: Truth though.

Still he thinks, playing Dimitrov before the final against Federer, may give him an advantage.

Maybe and maybe not. "Baby Fed" is thing of media/press. I still think Grigor have watched all matches of Federer and tried to copy him. Grigor could have lost to Traver or Diego if he had played them but Federer won it. Grigor is on tour almost 5 years but he has not won something big. Federer is completely different player with stronger mentality. Maybe Grigor will improve in future but even now at 33 Federer is still very good.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

As a professional tennis player I think it's essential to be able to speak English. Of course, U don't need to speak as good as native speakers, but just good enough for the press and the media to understand U. Just like ferrer for example.
I envy every living human who can speak multiple languages. Because I can only speak English I can only think in English. The Europeans are blessed with such rich diversity and the ability to adapt to different cultures and languages. Sometimes I feel inferior.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts

Sao Paulo was lucky, but his first two titles sure weren't. Would be great to see him go 4-0 in finals.

I envy every living human who can speak multiple languages. Because I can only speak English I can only think in English. The Europeans are blessed with such rich diversity and the ability to adapt to different cultures and languages. Sometimes I feel inferior.
I learned a little Italian and Indonesian in high school, but both were my very worst subjects. I'm just woeful at foreign languages, so I avoid judging people that can't speak English. Of course it's probably for the best a tennis player or an English PL footballer learn English, but it can be very difficult.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Re: Cuevas admits that Sao Paulo was a bit of lucky title & stays positive for th...

I have my ears mate. But it's being lucky without naming it.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
He never said anything about him being lucky with the Sao Paulo title. The title of the thread is quite misleading. He was very matter of fact about the difference between facing a player outside the top 100 and the best player, that's all. There was nothing implicit in his statements, at least in what he said in the video posted.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts

As a professional tennis player, I think it is essential to play tennis well, the game is more important than the pressers.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Cuevas admits that Sao Paulo was a bit of lucky title & stays positive for th...

He never said anything about him being lucky with the Sao Paulo title.
Who said he did? Playing against the player out of top 100 = lucky. He just stated that. They can't say they were lucky openly.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts

Boring question followed by a boring answer. We dont want to hear any political answers from a unknown player. Try to ask something personal next time is my advise.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cuevas admits that Sao Paulo was a bit of lucky title & stays positive for th...

Boring question followed by a boring answer. We dont want to hear any political answers from a unknown player. Try to ask something personal next time is my advise.

Care to give an example? How is your wife doing? :lol:

is it that he cant speak english or that he is just more comfortable speaking in his language

He can understand english in most parts, but can't speak comfortably, as i understand this week.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

There isn't any need to speak anything other then English. It's pretty much the universal language, it's great to speak Spanish so I have more choice of streams. But if I wasn't born in Spain I wouldn't of bothered.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts

Care to give an example? How is your wife doing? :lol:

He can understand english in most parts, but can't speak comfortably, as i understand this week.
You have to do research about the player in order to form a interesting question, since he's unknown I'm not willing to do that.

I like how you involved Federer in your question, but not nearly enough to provide anything interesting. Federer's name alone triggers the media, imagine what you could do with the right question. Try to push the players out of their comfort zone.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

You have to do research about the player in order to form a interesting question, since he's unknown I'm not willing to do that.

I like how you involved Federer in your question, but not nearly enough to provide anything interesting. Federer's name alone triggers the media, imagine what you could do with the right question. Try to push the players out of their comfort zone.
:yeah:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts