Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rankings Master
15,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old rivalry which existed at the dawn of the Open Era and 2 decades before it may soon be reborn in the late 10s, early 20s.

The two main tennis countries young blood seems to bring the potential needed to bring us back one of the oldest confrontations in tennis:

Australian prospects:
Kyrgios (20)
Tomic (22) - if he can pull his head together
Kokkinakis (19)
Duckworth (23) - maybe

US prospects:
Tiafoe (17)
Kozlov (17)
Sock (22) - maybe
Donaldson (18) - maybe

Of course, Rublev, Coric or Zverev may very well have a saying, and obviously, these youngsters have a lot to go and may very well turn out to be disappointments. But one thing is for sure, even without the Big 4, tennis will remain interesting in the future for sure.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Can't wait for Donaldson vs. Duckworth

·
Rankings Master
15,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's a funny name coincidence.

USA has a bit more prospects than Australia, if you add Mmoh, Fritz or Tommy Paul.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Hyping unproven youngsters too much too early. Out of those, only Kyrgios and Kokkinakis are worth mentioning so far.

·
Rankings Master
15,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@chico That is your opinion, but is wrong. This thread is not about hyping anyone.

Mentioning the potential, does not mean it will really happen. The possibility of it happening was exposed.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Tomic has 2 ATP titles and 2 Major Quarter final appearances.
Hardly something to write home about. I expected much more from him at 22.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
@chico That is your opinion, but is wrong. This thread is not about hyping anyone.

Mentioning the potential, does not mean it will really happen. The possibility of it happening was exposed.
Fair enough, but I really don't see it yet. As said, only two Ausie Ks are showing signs of something.

Tiafoe and Kozlov are too young, and the rest are too old or/and disappointment.

Never watched Donaldson though.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I would add Omar Jasika (17) to the Aussie team.

maybe category - Jordan Thompson (21), Andrew Harris (21) and Luke Saville (21); [Bolt (22), Mitchell (22), Bourchier (19)- who knows].

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
The old rivalry which existed at the dawn of the Open Era and 2 decades before it may soon be reborn in the late 10s, early 20s.

The two main tennis countries young blood seems to bring the potential needed to bring us back one of the oldest confrontations in tennis:

Australian prospects:
Kyrgios (20)
Tomic (22) - if he can pull his head together
Kokkinakis (19)
Duckworth (23) - maybe
Forget Duckie but add Bolt another possible, and in the younger group Jasika (17) and Santillan (albeit now playing for Japan) possibles.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,556 Posts
Tomic's doing a decent job. Some areas of his game will continue to be exploitable but I can see him maintaining at top 30 presence.
Kyrgios if he can remain healthy can definitely break into those ranks - top 20 achievable. Kokkinakis a bit behind in development but should be able to break into top 100, potentially top 80 this year. Of the Americans I see most upside for Sock. Harrison still needs time to adapt. The other younger guys haven't seen much of however.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Tomic's doing a decent job. Some areas of his game will continue to be exploitable but I can see him maintaining at top 30 presence.
Kyrgios if he can remain healthy can definitely break into those ranks - top 20 achievable. Kokkinakis a bit behind in development but should be able to break into top 100, potentially top 80 this year. Of the Americans I see most upside for Sock. Harrison still needs time to adapt. The other younger guys haven't seen much of however.
That's a pretty conservative analysis if we are talking a few years out as the op was suggesting. Assuming normal tennis player peaks at around 25, lots of scope for these to go far.

Tomic is currently at 14 in the race aged 22. While we won't ever shine on clay, if he keeps his head together (and the signs are at least a bit positive) surely top ten potential in due course.

Kyrgios will be top twenty or better by the end of this year.

And Kokkinakis is likely in the top 100 this week, so a year younger than Kyrgios and ahead of him in timing of ranking break through, albeit by slow and steady progress in the main. But that IW R4 suggests potential for top ten as well.

Of the young Americans I actually like Donaldson the most but haven't seen much of some of the others so hard to tell.

All just speculation at this stage of course, but would certainly be nice if the rivalry could be revived and we get a rerun of those great DC clashes of the 60s and 70s!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The future is pretty bright for men's tennis. I like most players I've seen in the 95-98 generation. Kyrgios, Kokkinakis, Chung, Rublev, Ymer and Donaldson all look good. Not a fan of Coric or Kozlov. I've yet to properly see Zverev or Tiafoe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts