Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Crowdfunding in tennis

Marcus Willis has started the 'Willis for Wimbledon' project today.

My name is Marcus Willis I’m 23, British and a professional Tennis player. My singles ranking is currently 322 in the world and my doubles ranking is 224. I started playing Tennis when I was 9 years old after competing at national level Badminton since the age of 6. The first tennis club I played for was Latika (Berkshire). I then trained at Bisham Abbey throughout my secondary school years which involved waking up at 6 am to train until 10, going in to school until 2 and returning to training until 5, it was a grueling schedule but all the hard work was worth it when at the age of 15 I was selected to play for Great Britain.

As a junior I achieved British number 1 status and finished number 15 in the world before moving into the men’s game 6 months early. My dream is to make such a high ranking in the men’s tour one day but after cuts in funding after one year in the men’s tour, building this dream initially proved difficult to achieve. It has only been due to the Partial Sponsorship and the help of A1 Pharmaceuticals over the last year and a half that has enabled me to get to where I am today. The money given through this time helped me get my ranking from the 900′s to the 300′s. Making it obvious how important having additional support to fund a tennis career is. In this time I focused mainly on the Futures events, these are often much closer together and so are more feasible to play in terms of the financial costs associated with travel, accommodation and coaching.

My ultimate dream is to play at Wimbledon in the men’s Main Draw. With my ranking up into the 300′s my childhood dream is finally becoming more of a reality. I have never felt more determined and I know I need to play more Challengers and more ATP’s which ultimately, means traveling further! This is why I need you to help me raise more funding to be able to compete in these tougher events. So this is why I created this campaign “Willis for Wimbledon”, for help to fund the higher level tournaments to get my ranking and my ability ready for Wimbledon 2015.

It is vital that I start to play Challengers so I can progress my game and my mental ability so that the Grand Slams do not seem such a great step up as they admittedly currently do. That is why I would be so incredibly appreciative of any help you could give me. And obviously, I will always give something back for any contributions gratefully received whether it be a mention on my social media pages, website, a you tube thank you clip or a mention on this very page; a signed photo or wearing company logos on my clothing and even a personal tennis lesson with myself, for the amounts each go towards please see the options to the right of this page.

Thank you for taking the time to read my campaign and thank you in advance for any contributions big or small. Please share this page with your friends, families and colleagues.
https://www.pledgesports.org/projects/willis-for-wimbledon-3/

·
Registered
8,408 Posts

Crowd funding does make a lot of sense but a player needs to take it seriously. You have to do something to get people to part with their money.

As for Marcus, talented lad and nice guy but he will never reach his full potential. Too many years where he spent more time at beer festivals and takeaways than he did on the practice court or in the gym.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

well done for making this thread

lets hope marcus gets some sponsors and help on this crowdfunding!!
this crowdfunding from willis is cool, you can get some things back, like a signed pic, thanks on his twitter, 1 hour of tennis with him...

btw, there are some more crowdfunding projects on involvedfan.com too

help marcus please guys!

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

well done for making this thread

lets hope marcus gets some sponsors and help on this crowdfunding!!
this crowdfunding from willis is cool, you can get some things back, like a signed pic, thanks on his twitter, 1 hour of tennis with him...

btw, there are some more crowdfunding projects on involvedfan.com too

help marcus please guys!

Would you ask us to help him if he looked like Stepanek, I wonder? :scratch:

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

Would you ask us to help him if he looked like Stepanek, I wonder? :scratch:
yes, of course. it wouldnt change the fact i like how he plays

and btw, its not like if marcus was superhot or something :spit: get real

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

colin van beem, dutch player born in 92 and ranked 700 in the world(537 last year, has been injured half a year) is also into crowdfunding:

you can help colin here: http://wijzijnsport.nl/campagnes/colin-van-beem/dreams-work-succes

he has some bigs paybacks i think!

he got 820 euros out of 6000 so far! lets keep supporting him

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

willis received today a 250 pounds anonymous contribution! wow thats cool, thanks if you are reading these words!!

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

yeah, lost today being first seed and hitting 13 aces...0/5 bps and 1/3 for his opponent :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

willis has 615 pounds by now and colin van beem 1150 euros

if every one of us gave 1 euro to them they would achieve their aims probably haha :p any help is welcome guys

probably some more players to join crowdfunding soon too...

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

the other 2 players named on the thread have already finished with their crowdfunding. only willis and van beem have one going on right now

if you give us new players into crowdfunding we will follow them as well =D

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

a1 pharmaceuticals cant give willis as much money in the future and his career is really in danger now. at least thats what marcus said

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The Next Face of African Tennis - Takanyi Garanganga

Hi, my name is Takanyi Garanganga and I’m a professional tennis player. I am 23 years old and am from Harare, Zimbabwe, now based in Atlanta, USA.

I am Zimbabwe’s number 1 men’s tennis player and 3rd highest ranked African on the ATP.
I am ranked 291 in the world and have climbed over 200 spots since 2013. Although this is a good start, my ambition is to be ranked in the top 10 and ultimately world number 1. Some of my achievements include winning a Gold Medal at the 2011 All-Africa Games, winning five Futures tournaments, as well as reaching two Semifinals and four Quarterfinals on the ATP Challenger Tour. As a junior, I won the African Junior Championships and competed at the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open. I ultimately reached a career high junior ranking of number 17 in the world.

I was born and raised in a very impoverished part of Harare, known as Mbare. At the age of 7, I was introduced to tennis by my father, and immediately fell in love with it. I began playing regularly and competed in lots of local junior tournaments. At 14, I was very fortunate enough to be awarded an opportunity to move to the USA and develop my game. I had no idea how much work it would be, but enjoyed every bit of it and eventually realized my goal of being ranked in the top 20 of the world junior rankings.

Unfortunately, money has been a serious struggle for me throughout my professional career. Because of limited support and funding, coming solely from friends and family, I can’t play the full schedule of events I need to, as I simply cannot afford to do so. Thankfully, it’s been through a strong group of supporters that I am where I am today – but there is only so much they can help, and the tether has now pretty much been exhausted. I have to cover my training and competition expenses on my own, which at this level puts a lot of strain on the amount of time I can actually dedicate to my training. Tournaments on the Challenger and ATP Tours take place on pretty much every continent in the world, and it’s necessary to compete and perform well in as many as possible to climb in the rankings.

I believe I will ultimately reach my goals sooner rather than later but it’s within a well resourced and developed program that I can maximize this fantastic opportunity and talent I have been given. With my current ranking inside 300 and a few tournaments in line my childhood dream to play in the grand slams is finally becoming more of a reality. I am improving everyday and have never felt so energized and determined!

Any support you can give me will be used towards travel costs such as flights and accommodation, training expenses, equipment and competition entries. I need to raise at least US$10,000 which will partly cover some of my expenses to compete at the 2015 Australian Open, in January. I feel I really have a chance to achieve my goal of making it this year and know it will make my country, continent and supporters proud. Representing Zimbabwe and the continent of Africa at the grand slams has always kept me driven, but i still need your help!

Please help me reach my goal and I won’t let you down!Thank you for taking the time to read my campaign and thank you in advance for any contributions big or small. Please share this page anyway you can, especially with your friends, families and colleagues.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/takanyigaraz

Twitter: twitter.com/takanyigaraz

Instagram: instagram.com/takanyigaraz
https://www.pledgesports.org/projects/the-next-face-of-african-tennis/

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Re: Crowdfunding in tennis [POST #19 - Garanganga is trying to raise 10K to play AO]

he is a decent talent as well, all my support, lets hope he gets some help!!!

1 - 20 of 161 Posts