Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps a long shot with Thiem still in the draw - perhaps a topic worthy discussion anyways. The 'challenger tour journeyman' is gunning for his 4th trophy in less than year.

Should he fail to deliver here this week - hes the top seed for Santiago ATP250 next week. 4th or 5th ATP title?

Very happy for him.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
No he isn't.

Lets wait for Santiago, he's not winning this week.

·
30,413 Posts
Perhaps a long shot with Thiem still in the draw - perhaps a topic worthy discussion anyways. The 'challenger tour journeyman' is gunning for his 4th trophy in less than year.

Should he fail to deliver here this week - hes the top seed for Santiago ATP250 next week. 4th or 5th ATP title?

Very happy for him.
Seems a bit quick here since he barely beat Coria.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
He already would if he won here last year , ok I can say it too

Still a long way to go , and he's playing really bad here . I watched the first set and a half and gave up

·
Registered
863 Posts
The fact he's ranked that high is really confounding. I didn't realize that peaking in clay 250's + a lucky Masters QF draw could leave you on the precipice of the Top 20. His last 4 slams he was R2-R1-R2-R2.

Fair play to him, but I'm not that impressed.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Not sure, he is the SF but played really bad against Federico Coria. I am not sure he will beat Coric. And then in the final, it depends if he would meet Thiem or not. I think he has a better chance in Rio as he has less pressure.
Pressure will be too high for him next week in Santiago and the fact that Jarry is suspended won't help him.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
The fact he's ranked that high is really confounding. I didn't realize that peaking in clay 250's + a lucky Masters QF draw could leave you on the precipice of the Top 20. His last 4 slams he was R2-R1-R2-R2.

Fair play to him, but I'm not that impressed.
Same with Thiem in 2015, except he reached USO R3 that year but his points mainly came from 3 250 titles and Miami QF. It could be a phase before stepping up, or it could be a fluke, we'll have to see this year.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
No he isn't.

Lets wait for Santiago, he's not winning this week.
have to say he's surprised us all!

doubt he has anything left for Chile now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is he a new vulture or did he beat any good players to win these titles? Can anyone give us the detail of his titles?

·
justice for all
17,936 Posts
That is really an impressive feat for the Chilean. He's really good on clay now and with a bit of luck a R4 or even a QF at RG is possible.
I also think he'll eventually develop into a decent HC player too. I can see no reason why he with his game wouldn't be good on hard too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks.
Thanks. I realized that he has actually beaten some good players. I was underestimating him. His clay court record is very impressive. Now he's in a streak of 10 match wins. That's quite something. He's likely to carry the momentum to the next tournament. If he wins again, it will be like a record isn't it? Three tournaments in a row. That'd be awesome, but I'm afraid he'll be too tired to survive the first few rounds, especially consideing how physically demanding the surface is.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks.

Thanks. I realized that he has actually beaten some good players. I was underestimating him. His clay court record is very impressive. Now he's in a streak of 10 match wins. That's quite something. He's likely to carry the momentum to the next tournament. If he wins again, it will be like a record isn't it? Three tournaments in a row. That'd be awesome, but I'm afraid he'll be too tired to survive the first few rounds, especially consideing how physically demanding the surface is.
I'm not sure what the record is for tournaments won in consecutive weeks. Obviously some win streaks have been much longer, but with weeks off in between.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts