Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Happy to sign up here, been a lurker for a while and decided to register lately. As all of you, I am a big tennis fan. Started to follow tennis in the early 2000s. My first favorite player was Sampras, but he retired after I watched only a few big matches from him. But Federer got my attention at Wimbledon in 2001 (even though I was rooting for Sampras).
Then Sampras retired, and a few boring years followed (Hewitt), I started to root for Federer in 2003.
His elegant and complete type of game was so attractive that I always rooted for him since.

His career is almost over, and what I can say today is how much I think he underachieved.

As the title says, Federer could have 28 slam titles by now, and maybe more!

Conservative approach:

Australian Open 2005: incredible way to lose this semifinal match, had a match point, but even then he was affected by a foot injury, could not move well (same for the Masters Cup the same year). No disrespect to Hewitt, but I am sure Federer would have won the final.

Wimbledon 2008: for me an obvious one. Let's face it, on this surface he is really above Nadal but that year he was deeply affected by a mononucleosis and had plenty of strange losses. Without that, I am sure he was beating Nadal.

Australian Open 2009: unfortunately he lost this one because of Wimbledon, he lost self belief from there everytime he faced Nadal, should have won this one if he had won Wimbledon the previous year.

US Open 2009: this one really hurts, and to this day I still wonder how he lost? Really a slam he should have won.

Wimbledon 2014: had a break point in the 5th set, he is much better than Djokovic on grass, for me he clearly choked there, should have won the title as he is far bar the best grass player.

Wimbledon 2015: remember the semifinal against Murray? Yes, incredible match, should have won the final in 3 or 4 if he managed to replicate that level, sadly he did not and I still don't get it.

US Open 2015: very painful, clearly lost the match mentally, he was the better player that day, should have won the 3rd set but wasted so many break opportunities. With the crowd behind him, he was winning in 4 had he converted a break point in the 3rd. That final really hurt at the time.

Wimbledon 2016: again a very unlucky tournament, Murray was waiting in the final, Federer has no problem to beat him especially on grass. No disrespect to Raonic but without that knee injury Federer was winning.

More speculative approach:

US Open 2010: Simply a sad way to lose this semifinal, just like the Australian Open 2005, should have the advantage in the final against Nadal who is not as good as Federer on these US courts.

US Open 2011: exactly the same as above, even worse given the way Djokovic saved the first match point, and Nadal was vulnerable that year.

French Open: I am not going to pick the exact titles he could have won but so many wasted opportunities.
My point is, the final of Roma in 2006 destroyed Federer's self belief against Nadal. Sad but true. Just because of one point! A missed match point :(
Now remember how Federer turned around the Nalbandian and Hewitt rivalry? Would have done just the same with Nadal.
So I can easily give him the final of 2006 won by Nadal in 4 sets but where Federer won the opening set 6-1.

If Federer wins this title, then I am confident he wins in 2007 too. He had more than FIFTEEN break points.

And 2011, this final should have been his, if not for that mental bloke against Nadal, still the results of these 2006 tough losses. Crazy to think that Federer could have 3 or 4 French Open title :(

Wimbledon 2010: Injured leg, lost to a player with a one dimensional game and weak mental fortitude. Then Djokovic was a fairly easy opponent (back in 2010), and Nadal an inferior grass player. Unlucky injury in the quarters...

Australian Open 2008: lost to a young inexperienced Djokovic, anyone who watched the match could see how tired he was from the very first set. Sadly got very unlucky to be affected by a mononucleosis that would ruin most of his season.

Wimbledon 2011: unreal choke. Leading 2 sets to love against Tsonga, no doubt in my mind that he was beating Djokovic after that sensational match at the French Open.

Wimbledon 2013: well this one for me is obvious given how weak the draw was but Federer was very injured pretty much all year. For the record, he had beaten both Djokovic and Murray (fairly easily) the previous year to win the title. That injury cost him just like in 2016.

So if we make the count, that's at least 28 slams (my estimate of how much he had underachieved), and 35 or 36 slams if we are more speculative, but these slam wins were definitely possible (and even likely) if Federer had more luck and a better health at that time.

Now I am just hoping his record will last but I am afraid Djokovic will catch it, which often leads me to ruminate about these tough losses.

What do you think? Would be great to hear about your opinion.

Any constructive feedback welcome :)

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
My favourite thing about threads like this is how the OP always fails to mention all the slams the player was fortunate to win and could have easily lost on paper.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
hypotheticals dont matter in the end. The losses Federer have endured have been well earned by his opponents. In fact some of those losses will have surely spurred Federer on even more and were necessary in the grand scheme of tennis. Now I am a huge Roger fan, but I have always felt that losing Wimbledon 2008 was absolutely necessary, we needed Nadal to be that great rival. Also it was great to have Novak breakthrough in 2011, rivals are a necessary part of any sport.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yeah he managed to get close but not win quite a few times. There's no real use in speculating what he could have won, because he didn't. It's ok to evaluate why he didn't and maybe even to say that it was a missed opportunity, but that should be about the extend of the discussion.

He could also have lost plenty more. Wimbledon 2007/2009 (very close finals), RG2009 (was on the ropes multiple matches), AO 2017 multiple very close matches incl break down in 5th. Those are just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
<a ton of incredible biased stuff>

Any constructive feedback welcome :)
If you didn't figure out how sports work in general after 20+ years (if I got it correctly) there is a little hope any feedback can help you to develop reasonable expectations.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
Also, even more likely, could have had 10 slams.

So please, shut up.

2009 FO: Acasuso chokes 5-1 lead for 2-1 set lead+Potro throws away key final set break with DF
2009 WB: Roddick chokes volley for 2-0 set lead
2010 AO: Andreev chokes 3 set points on serve for 2-1 set lead + Davydenko chokes short ball to go up 6-2 4-1
2012 WB: Murray chokes BP shot that would have had him serving for 2-0 set lead
2017 AO: Wawrinka chokes BP to go up a break final set + Nadal tired
2018 AO: Cilic chokes BP to go up a break final set and the games after

Etc etc etc

Just quit it, okay?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Also, even more likely, could have had 10 slams.

So please, shut up.

2009 FO: Acasuso chokes 5-1 lead for 2-1 set lead+Potro throws away key final set break with DF
2009 WB: Roddick chokes volley for 2-0 set lead
2010 AO: Andreev chokes 3 set points on serve for 2-1 set lead + Davydenko chokes short ball to go up 6-2 4-1
2012 WB: Murray chokes BP shot that would have had him serving for 2-0 set lead
2017 AO: Wawrinka chokes BP to go up a break final set + Nadal tired
2018 AO: Cilic chokes BP to go up a break final set and the games after

Etc etc etc

Just quit it, okay?
After 43 hours of rest... Tired based on what actual evidence / according to who apart from you? Nadal's team / some other analysts?

edit. OP's user name is the quality part of the post.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
2007 USO F - Djokovic had set pts in 1st 2 sets.

2011 USO - No way he would defeat Rafa that year, it took best Djokovic in one of the most intense matches ever to do so.

And many more aforementioned cases. Welcome to MTF. Been a passive reader like yourself for some time and decided to sign up, but not worship my fav player, rather, enjoy objective discussion. Everyone vultured a slam or two, or lost smtn we feel he should not, but that's the way it is. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Agree with Wimbledon '08 and USO '15.
Rest I am not so sure. Yes he had a great headstart in FO '06 and '11, but Nadal would wear out his arm as the match progressed and beat him over 5 sets.

Also not sure that he would have turned around his rivalry against Nadal like he did against Nalbandian/Hewitt. Three reasons:
1. Nadal is in a different league from Nalbandian/Hewitt
2. Unlike Nalbandian/Hewitt, Nadal is 5 years younger than Fed. Fed's time would always be running out.
3. Federer could beat Nalbandian/Hewitt on tennis terms. Nadal presented a matchup problem, especially on clay, that Federer had no way to solve except doing a dramatic change like changing a racket which gave him 12 or 13 slams. Or get an upper torso like Stan. That's why Nadal struggled against much lesser players, but racked up wins against Federer just playing percentages with a simple one-liner strategy - serve to his backhand, send high balls to his backhand.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
After 43 hours of rest... Tired based on what actual evidence / according to who apart from you? Nadal's team / some other analysts?

edit. OP's user name is the quality part of the post.
Tired relative to his opponent's rest. He had less rest than his opponent. A day less. Period. That's all you need to concern yourself with.

And tired (can't give you a medical report) based on playing a 4+ hr match and having to face Federer two days later.

Not sure why you're still trying to argue this. Other fans have admitted to Federer's luck.

Check the AO rest day thread, I wrote something that maybe gets through to you.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
You waited since November to post this? Wow another delusional fedtart. Like we dont have a ton of those.

Look Federer has had some bad luck in a few slams but so has others. Just accept it.
Ive read some crazy math on how many slams fed, nole and Rafa should have. But 28=? Damm wonder what the heck you smoking.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
The good old "Frogie had ebola so he made only F at RG and Wimbledon" is my favourite fairy tale.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Roger and Rafa are just unlucky they are playing at the same time, if it hadn't been for Rafa could you imagine how many French Open titles Roger would have won.

And it all comes down to those french open titles he hasn't won from having 25+ gs titles

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts