1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I know this event means nothing, but it's an unwritten rule in sports that the organising staff are no part of the competition. Shame on you Dustin! :p

·
Registered
62,747 Posts
I know this event means nothing, but it's an unwritten rule in sports that the organising staff are no part of the competition. Shame on you Dustin! :p
Isn't Popyrin along with Serena's coach the main organizer of the much bigger mini tour that starts in a month?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Isn't Popyrin along with Serena's coach the main organizer of the much bigger mini tour that starts in a month?
Could be, don't know much about it. I consider that to be a club competition, because most players are part of Mouratoglou's academy.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No offense, but is it really a "pro tournament" if it is an exho, hehe. Although great to see Germany being able to do so well, one of the few countries to have managed the pandemic relatively good.
Shame on you that you don't know what "pro" means.

Of course it is a professional tournament. The participating athletes played matches and received prize money. And the whole thing was televised to boot.

Exhos are the root — the cornerstone of tennis professionalism: it's how the ATP tour started — and now they are back and once again they are leading the charge to bring tennis out of darkness and confinement.

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
25,717 Posts
@Raiden While it does has its roots in tournaments with no regulating organizations, I still feel in modern tennis pro tennis seems to be rooted in these organized tournaments, while exhos are big icing in the cake. That being said my usually distinction is between what's an official tournament vs. an exho (with tournaments like the Hopman Cup, Abu Dhabi and team tennis tournaments are in the debate based on what a person perceives) so maybe I didn't cross my mind that exhos are as "pro tournaments" as official ones I guess. There's barely amateur tennis if you're gonna go full time, at all.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Don’t matter if it’s a “serious” tourney or not. It’s just a good way for some players to get some tennis and matches in during this pandemic.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
you could argue it doesnt matter and since it doesnt have any top players . however im sure it does matter to the players. it gives them the ability to get back into tennis shape. it also gives them valuable prize money, which likely isnt a lot but to guys like them any bit helps.

this tournament's final should be hanfmann v.s brown but you never know

mouratoglu's series should be starting next week too. this is likely the only brand of actual tennis we'll be seeing this year. the usopen organizer's delusional idea of holding the event on time with fans is laughable

1 - 11 of 11 Posts