Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear readers,

Unfortunately, COVID's cruel hold might Finish what is left of the superb 1980's players. It has burdened if not stolen their twilight years, while it has allowed the younger generations time to catch up. Even if the vaccine allows a return to normality by 2022, can there be any doubt that there will be no Return of The Three Kings as they were?

It seems a few still have hope they will... here is a tribute and lament for them to an old familiar tune.

The Three Kings of Tennis

We Three Kings of Tennis are,
Bearing great skills we traveled afar,
Dirt and grass,
Stone-like glass,
Each of us called a Star.

O Stars Chorus
O Stars of wonder, Stars of might,
Stars with royal beauty bright,
Westward leading,
Mostly succeeding,
Guide us to thy perfect light.

The Kings Verses

Born a King on Switzerland's plain,
Golden strokes again and again,
King for ever,
Ceasing never,
Over us all to reign.

O Stars...Chorus

Fearless intensity to offer have I,
To play every point until I die,
Praying, yielding,
All men screaming,
Worshiping Warrior God on high.

O Stars...Chorus

Robotic will is mine; its destructive broom,
Sweeps a trail of gathering doom,
Deepening, widening,
Sacrificing, dying,
Sealing your stone-cold tomb.

O Stars...Chorus

For all who beheld COVID's rise,
King, and God, and Sacrifice;
Heav’n sings Hallelujah:
Hallelujah in their demise.

O Stars...Chorus

Sorrowfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
With Rog it may be Father Time actually (= the knees) that end(ed) the Big 3 saga. Doesn't seem like he would've been fit to contend anyway this year. In 2021 though we may still see some fireworks, Covid or no Covid. I.e. in the end it comes more down to each players health, and in this case particularly Federer's. Thoroughly in the twilight of Big 3 now though already. Big 4 --> Big 3 --> soon Big 2 + the new guard at least on HC it seems

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The Big 3 has been running on fumes. But Roger beeing the one of the all time great extended his career with those last 3 slams. In my book he took what was available while Djokovic was down. Once he came back Roger started to fade. Roger still has a few good runs and a few masters finals in his bag. Could even win a few more tournaments.
But at his age coming back from surgery and now we have legit new guys it´s going to be hard. The day Roger leaves the top10 is the day the Big 3 ends in my book and becomes the Big2. Because we cant put anyone of the new guys up there. They will have their moments and time. And let´s see how this new Big2 manages time.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
OMG, Nadal is piercing his head with a sword. Fucking brutal stuff from MasterTroll.

Reactions: masterclass

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,287 Posts
I had to read it in my best carol-ing voice.

I disagree though it has allowed the younger generation to catch up. COVID affects everybody. Not like Roger was going to return to the tour spectacularly judging by his recent comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts