Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
They keep saying it's playing a little faster but it looks pretty slow to me. Not Miami slow but still, nowhere near like San Jose played.

Maybe that's just compared to Washington, which looked very fast in the conditions there.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
source: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2006-07-16-surface-tension_x.htm
The evidence is more than anecdotal. After the 2000 Open, U.S. Tennis Association officials felt the DecoTurf II at the National Tennis Center in New York was too fast. They slowed it down for 2001 and made another adjustment in 2003.

When Spanish baseliner Juan Carlos Ferrero made it to the final that year against cannon-serving Andy Roddick, officials felt they had achieved a happy medium. It hasn't changed since.

"With Roddick and Ferrero reaching the final that year, we thought we had the right balance," USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier says.

Other tournaments in the North American summer hardcourt swing, now part of the US Open Series, followed suit in order to align themselves with the season's final Grand Slam.

That's the case at the Rogers Masters in Montreal and the Pilot Pen in New Haven, Conn.

"We could not attract top players unless we had the same surface as the U.S. Open," says New Haven tournament director Anne Worcester, who laments the push toward the middle.

"The beauty of tennis is the heterogeneity of our surfaces," adds Worcester, a former CEO of the WTA. "In my view, maintaining that diversity is a critical asset to the sport, and I think we should be doing everything possible to encourage serve-and-volleying in tennis."

Montreal tournament director Eugene Lapierre agrees attracting pros who want to play on something similar to the New York courts is a big reason his event switched to a slower DecoTurf surface in 2003.

"But the main reason is the show itself," he says, explaining that the switch to a medium-paced court ensures that attacking and counterpunching styles can thrive while increasing the odds of long, entertaining rallies.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
From what I'v seen it looks like medium speed HC, and it suits Nadal somewhat less than Wimbledon 2007, as he was making cheap mistakes

It looks very similar to AO 2007

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
AO is rebound ace this is decoturf. The relevance is not only court speed but also how it reacts to spin/bounce. From the little I have seen it does not take spin as well as IW or Miami.

The U.S. Open is an altogether different kettle of fish not only because of the surface itself but the balls used there are a lot harder and skid through the court surface much more not reacting as well to spin as the ATP Penn balls used in Master Series events.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Medium pace.

Roddick played 3 matches this week and only once reached 10 in aces. On anything faster expect more. Aces far more common last week in Washington.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Medium pace.

Roddick played 3 matches this week and only once reached 10 in aces. On anything faster expect more. Aces far more common last week in Washington.
I felt some other players were getting in quite a few aces though...

but yeah apart from that, the court has looked slow. keep wondering if it's my tv signal that's playing up!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Faster than Indian Wells and Miami, but slower than Flushing Meadows and Cincy. The courts at Montreal are medium paced, and ever so slightly slower than the surface used at Toronto in the even years.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Medium Paced....

Cincy is slightly faster, then the USO is slightly faster again.

This system allows players the best preparation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts