Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some of his fans need some assistance.

The Finals will be on 2003 January 26, right?

How many days left? :D

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the laugh. i'm off to bed...:)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It is coming very soon!

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Well you know, Roddick already did win his first slam, it just wasn't official.

At the US Open in 2001, the umpire lost the match for Roddick against Hewitt. Roddick really won you know. And of course, winning the quarterfinal means that he was only a few points away from the title, since he apparently would have just rolled over Kafelnikov and Sampras.

So really, this is the count down to his SECOND grand slam.

He's clearly the favourite here. 7 time Slam winner Agassi, and slam finalists Nalbandian and Ferrero - who the hell are they?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, I know. But finally, his victory will be official and all those haters will know that the future of US men's tennis has been saved.

That stupid biased umpire. But his time nobody is gonna stop him. AA is too old, Nalbandian and Ferrero - well, they've been in slam finals, but they have never won one, you know. Chokers. :p

·
27,371 Posts
Rebecca said:

He's clearly the favourite here. 7 time Slam winner Agassi, and slam finalists Nalbandian and Ferrero - who the hell are they?
Well Ferrero is gone and Nalbandian... :confused: I haven't seen him play at all except the Wimbledon final where he was less than impressive so if he were to play Andy, I can't really say who I think would win. But as for Agassi, you're 100% right, he looks unbeatable at the moment which is too bad because I'd really like to see Andy win this one. Andy will have a tough match against Younes though and if Younes plays like he did against Lleyton, I can't see Andy beating him but I also don't think Younes will be as "in the zone" as he was vs. Lleyton so I think that'll be a tough one. If Andy gets through, I think he has a good shot at the final and then after that, well, it's not likely, but stranger things have happened ;)

But honestly, I don't think Andy will win this year's Australian Open however, I don't think his first grand slam is too far off :)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Angele, I wrote that before Ferrero was gone, duh. The wounds are still fresh, go easy on him.

But basing Davids skills entirely on that Wimbledon match would be a horrid error.

·
27,371 Posts
I realize that Becca, I'm not 5 ;) And I was easy on him, I just said he was gone, nothing more :angel: But I know how you feel, remember that Lleyton is out as well :( Take comfort in the fact that Juan Carlos went farther than Lleyton ;)

I'm not basing David's skills on that one match, I was merely saying that I know nothing of his skills at all so between him and Andy who would win? I have no way to tell :confused:

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Well Angele - I'm not positive that David will beat Rainer.

I'm also not positive that Andy will beat Younes.

If they did both win, the head to head is currently 1-0 Andy.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Ferrero is gone? did Ferreira beat him? damn i didn't follow that match bec i didn't think the South African stood a chance. wow! :eek: go Ferreira!!!! :) :)

·
27,371 Posts
I really don't think that anything in the men's draw is certain right now except Agassi getting to the final. The other finalist could as well be Andy as anybody else. I just don't think anybody should count him out too quickly!

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Tennishick - Ferrero had three set points to even it in the second, but failed to convert, after which he totally folded up the tent in set three.

He was upa break three times, and each time handed it RIGHt back.

So it appears anyhow - I did not watch the match, and stats are only good to a certain degree.

Frankly i think that such a meltdown after losing the two sets so tightly is just awful from somebody who goes on about wanting to be a top player, but oh well. Wayne was likely just too good today - I might tune in later to see just what happened, but I already have an inkling.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
angele - nobody should count ANY of the other 4 in the other half out. That hasn't stopped people from suggesting that Younes is just going to bow down to the GREAT Roddick though :rolleyes: (That's right Pat, Mal and the rest of the wanker gang, i'm talking to you)

·
27,371 Posts
All of ESPN's male commentators are crap, especially that new guy, Chris something or other. I wouldn't pay too much attention to them if I were you!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Rebecca said:
...So it appears anyhow - I did not watch the match, and stats are only good to a certain degree...
OK thanks, i thought maybe it was on late last night and i forgot to set the VCR. i'll tape it today and get a look-see.

i've always liked Wayne Ferreira so i'm happy for him. and as you know, i've always criticised Ferrero for coming out zinging shots like a madman only to melt down. i don't understand why his coach has not been able to help him with that. to win Slams you have to be able to pace yourself and endure. and Ferrero does have the talent to win Slams.

Angele: i am not taking it for granted that Agassi will make it to the finals. i would love for him to but there is a slowness to his step now. you can see it. he is quite vulnerable now. the match against a tired Seb was a lucky break for him -- a more rested Seb would have taken him down IMO.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts