Mens Tennis Forums banner

Can Stan go for the CGS?

• Yes, going "Stanimal Mode" in grand slams each year will be more than enough

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Yes, he's in his prime right now

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes, the competition is not so great overall currently

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • No, he will not win a Slam again

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • No, due to age/inconsistency/depth of competition

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • No, he might win US Open or Wimbledon but not both

Votes: 21 27.3%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally, achieving a Career Grand Slam nowadays requires a monumental effort due to Nadal mostly being the gatekeeper of the French Open. However, now that Wawrinka has Australian Open and French Open in his bag, could he realistically win Wimbledon and US Open?

It might be a stretch to say he could win either one or both this year. However, I think at his current age and form, he has some real opportunities in the next few years if he can go "Stanimal" mode again at those Grand Slams + the overall competition right now.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Normally, achieving a Career Grand Slam nowadays requires a monumental effort due to Nadal mostly being the gatekeeper of the French Open. However, now that Wawrinka has Australian Open and French Open in his bag, could he realistically win Wimbledon and US Open?

It might be a stretch to say he could win either one or both this year. However, I think at his current age and form, he has some real opportunities in the next few years if he can go "Stanimal" mode again at those Grand Slams + the overall competition right now.

What do you think?
It's incredible that he has got the slam where Djokovic has been dominant and the slam where Nadal has been dominant. I like his chances at USO and wouldn't write him off at Wimbledon either. Only issue I see is that he has a very small window within which he can realistically hope to win...2017 end max IMO.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I dont get the talk about his age. Federer is 34 and number 2 in the world. These days, technique and experience matter more than anything and the older players have those in spades. The average age of the top 10 is 28.
People like Raonic have very weird forehands and backhands and it's gonna take them years and a few coach changes to sort that out (see tsonga).
Wawrinka needed to reassess his game completely and retool it to win slams, that's the sort of effort it tooks. In between AO2015 and RG2015 Wawrinka completely reworked his forehand and learned to take a lot of pace off it to land the ball in and strike at the right time. He's also transformed the backhand into a more serious weapon and is now fully confident in the backhand down the line: whereupon it used to be a more error prone shot which looked good when it worked, now it's used to disturb the opponent rhythm more consistently and is even more reliable and accurate than before.
Wawrinka now plays clever as well. HIS RETURN HAS BEEN KEY: He pushes the first serve in to guarantee a rally and plays clever during rallies to ensure he wins the point and mentally destabilise the opponent and take the mental ascendency. Djokovic for the first time was scared to rally, incredible.
He has a bit more mental fortuitude now after this win and I am hopeful he will carry that into wimbledon.
I dont want him to do well at queens and be mentally tired. I hope he exists quickly and is fresh for wimby.
Another thing to note is folks saying he needs time to set up his shots.
Nonsense. Wawrinka usually naturally adjusts all his shots and position on the court as needs be. He comfortable on a fast court or slow court.

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
Absolutely not! :lol:

Delete thread.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I dont get the talk about his age. Federer is 34 and number 2 in the world. These days, technique and experience matter more than anything and the older players have those in spades. The average age of the top 10 is 28.
People like Raonic have very weird forehands and backhands and it's gonna take them years and a few coach changes to sort that out (see tsonga).
Wawrinka at less than 600 matches, has also got a lot less mileage, compared to about 1250, 900 and 800 matches of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic respectively.

So by continuing to peak at the slams and couple of masters only, he can play at this level for a year or even a couple of years more if stays injury free.

He didn't make USO finals as yet just because he was always in Djokovic' half there '12,'13,'14 as well as at AO '13,'14,'15.

If they place him at the Fedal's half this USO'15, he can make USO finals this year without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Wawrinka at less than 600 matches, has also got a lot less mileage, compared to about 1250, 900 and 800 of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic respectively.

So by continuing to peak at the slams and couple of masters only, he can play at this level for couple of years more if stays injury free.
Plus Stan has not ever played at high level as those top player. If you noticed in both GS' he won he did not have any pressure because no one paid him attention so he played freely. All the pressure was on Novak or Tsonga. That is how Stan won his GS'.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The next person to get CGS may be Wawa... He has already done the hardest bit - RG.

Wim and USO have always been somewaht flukey slams where random players can win ! I like his chances at Wim particularly if Rafa fails

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
The next person to get CGS may be Wawa... He has already done the hardest bit - RG.

Wim and USO have always been somewaht flukey slams where random players can win ! I like his chances at Wim particularly if Rafa fails
Why? :confused:

You realise the guy's career record is 21-20 on the surface? Very mediocre and no where near good enough.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

Yea I lolled at this one. As funny as it sounds, it is the hardest lol.
He should fare fine at the USO if he puts his mind to it.
I don't know how confident he feels about wimby thoguh, so we will see in the first week how he handles the matches. If he swings away free and well, then great, otherwise, he might lose early or in the second.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

You realise the guy's career record is 21-20 on the surface? Very mediocre and no where near good enough.
Past records don't mean a thing with his current form. Not saying he's a lock but you do realise that Wawrinka was 0-12 vs Nadal prior to AO 14 with no sets won and was 3-17 vs Djokovic prior to RG 15...

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
He's been very good at US Open in the last 2 years, so there's a chance, but nothing given. Wimbledon though, no chance.

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
Past records don't mean a thing with his current form. Not saying he's a lock but you do realise that Wawrinka was 0-12 vs Nadal prior to AO 14 with no sets won and was 3-17 vs Djokovic prior to RG 15...
Current form doesn't mean a thing when moving from clay to grass. And lol at comparing beating Nadal or Djokovic in one off matches to winning 7 BO5 set matches in a row over 2 weeks on a surface he is clearly no better than average on.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts

I dunno - I get the feeling that Wimby is a strange one.

Look at Nadal - he was God on the surface in 2007/8 and suddenly turned a mug in 2011.
Murray who we in UK ridiculed as a perpetual bridesmaid , suddenly won it !
Nole who was always called a poor grass courter , won the thing !

Only Federer brought any sort of consistency to the slam

I always have this strange feeling with Wimby that anyone with good base play can win it if they have a good 2 weeks & some luck !
Wawa is one such player who rides on his rythm and may carry on with the confidence he got in RG.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts