Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will some haters call Nole a transitional champ in the future?

• Yes

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 61.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People always pick on Hewitt, Fererro and Roddick etc saying they are transitional champs and number ones, only climbing to the summit and winning slams after sampras and co wore down and before Fedal rose.

Will they say the same about Djokovic?

EG only won multiple slams and got the no.1 after Fedal started winding down (clearly 2008 peak for Nadal and 2004-2009 roughly for Fed/sub peak Fed). Although Djoker did beat Federer in 2008 AO people will bring up the mono/fluke thing, I know they will. This is more if Nole doesnt have a great next couple years or if some young guns come along and beat him and dominate more than he did i.e become the next Fed/Nadal/Sampassi etc.

What do you think?

This is no attempt to belittle Noles achievement, more a question of what people will say.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The transitional champs you mentioned won four majors between them.

Nole has won four on his own. I don't think he's a transitional champ.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Nadal was the transitional chump

Reactions: janko05

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Uh, no. He's already won 4. I think people will look at it from the perspective tennis being ruled by Federer, then Nadal, then Djokovic. Djokovic has to do it for a few more years, but I don't see why he can't.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
if the record of 16-major winning player can be dismissed and questioned than there's no reason why Nole will not be subjected to the same logic some of his own fans are applying to Federer now...i.e in 6yrs time when he's struggling to beat a prime player @ his peak (24/25yr old) people will do the same and suggest he's losing because he's now only being tested ...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I don't think so. Fed and Rafa haven't nearly fallen off to the level that Agassi and Sampras had from 2001-2002. And we'll have to see who rises up over the next few years before we can compare this to 2002-6. Haters always gonna hate though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
nadal was the transitional chump.

nadal has zero talent, just waits for errors, novak dont give him errors, so he cant win, simple as that.
all these nadal fans talking like nadal actually has a chance of beating djokovic are crazy

·
Registered
934 Posts
No, he's done so much more than that.

if the record of 16-major winning player can be dismissed and questioned than there's no reason why Nole will not be subjected to the same logic some of his own fans are applying to Federer now...i.e in 6yrs time when he's struggling to beat a prime player @ his peak (24/25yr old) people will do the same and suggest he's losing because he's now only being tested ...
But yes, this. People are so fickle and quick to forget. If Federer's 2004-2007 domination can be thumbed down by some and chalking it down to a weak era or whatever excuses Sampras' fans have written on their pillows at night, it would be just as easy for people to minimize Djokovic's achievements once he starts to lose. People have selective memory like that.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
I don't think so. Fed and Rafa haven't nearly fallen off to the level that Agassi and Sampras had from 2001-2002. And we'll have to see who rises up over the next few years before we can compare this to 2002-6. Haters always gonna hate though.
Agassi didn't really fall off. He won a slam in 2003 and actually held the #1 ranking that year.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I just read the poll question "Will some haters call Nole a transitional champ in the future?"

If you ask the opinion of "haters" then the answer is yes.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
LOL?

how the fuck is djokovic a transitional champ when he had to compete with PRIME Nadal? Federer is 30, but he is no chump... id wager hes better than ANY number 3 player all time... hell better than majority number 2 players.

·
Registered
29,033 Posts
I think Nadal was the transitional champ between Federer and Djokovic. wrote a big post meant to be a thread but on second thoughts that might have been a trollfest....

In a nutshell: 2004-2008 was Federer era, from late 2008 to early 2011 was up there to grab. Nadal had 2 periods of #1 there with Federer reconquering it.

2011 Nole is untouchable to Nadal. Djokovic seems to do what Federer couldn't: beat Rafa regularly and be #1. Federer was #1 undisputed but lost to Rafa, Rafa managed to take the edge on Federer, then came Nole having the edge on Rafa. Rafa looks like someone who is unlikely to overtake the #1

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
:haha:. You can't compare Djokovic to Hewitt. Nadal is 25 and in his prime and the Djoker is destroying the guy. This is one of the worst threads I have ever seen on MTF and there are a lot of ridiculous threads on MTF.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Nadal transitional champion? Lol...another dumb thread.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Yep definitely. I said this before that Djokovic would be a transitional player. I think people are blind if they think Novak can keep this up, his game would break down in a year or two and he'll have a sudden decline. He doesn't have the advantage of Fedal of having big weapons. Currently he beats those guys by being more consistent and having more determination.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Agassi was still a contender from 2001-2002. In the space of a few months during 2001, he won AO, Indian Wells and Miami which is more than most GS champions in that period achieved in an entire year.

·
Premium Member
21,569 Posts
EG only won multiple slams and got the no.1 after Fedal started winding down (clearly 2008 peak for Nadal and 2004-2009 roughly for Fed/sub peak Fed). Although Djoker did beat Federer in 2008 AO people will bring up the mono/fluke thing, I know they will. This is more if Nole doesnt have a great next couple years or if some young guns come along and beat him and dominate more than he did i.e become the next Fed/Nadal/Sampassi etc.

What do you think?
Which young guns exactly? Tomic or Raonic (for now) look like they could surprise some of the top players occasionally, when at their best, but no way they are the next Fed/Sampras. And everybody else have major problem getting into top 50 at the moment.

·
Registered
27,319 Posts
What are we transitioning to now? Chimps?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.