Mens Tennis Forums banner

Your thoughts about Djokovic's Confidence

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of a disappointing 8 Grand Slams he could have gotten 12 or 13 by now.

He should be a little more humble in his approach. he thinks sometimes that he is entitled to win the match if he just steps on the court.

I know confidence is a part of his personality but really its not helping his case. I am a Djokovic fan actually, just stay humble, work hard, win the Grand Slams after Grand Slams and then people will love him as they do for Federer and Nadal.

I really think his over confidence is destroying his career somewhat. He should have been a Tier -1 by now instead he is stumbling around and making a name like Lendl.

Examples,

His whining around when the opponents are standing upto him. Numerous times in the match against Murray, he whined for no reason. Same against Wawa.

Its a scientifically proven fact that over confident people have a fragile self-belief which they over compensate by being showing that they are more confident, which gets exposed when somebody of equal ability or more stand upto them.

Discuss.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Agreed. Surely he underestimated Wawrinka, as if it was already a done deal before stepping on court.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
This is a joke. Djoker is by far the most humble of the big four, he is always gracious in defeat and admits his opponents were better. I am a big Roger fan but sometimes he can be dismissive when he loses and Nadal is the most arrogant of the lot, making excuses and trying to disregard and discredit his opponents by blaming a fake injury or weather etc. Murray has had the odd whine too. Nole needs to be more confident if anything.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think confidence is sometimes an over rated quality in sport. Confidence in a public speaker is good but in sport if the opponent is fit and motivated he can shred your "confidence" in no time. Thats what happened in the match against wawarinka.

I mean what would you do if Wawarinka is hitting deep fast balls in all corners in the match? Start a Mid Match conference saying he is playing but i will still defeat him?

You need a back up plan in your Mind for that you need to accept that sometimes opponents just play better than you, only then can you execute this.

Nadal did so many times in his career, Federer is another player with the "The Ball is always on my racket, Philosophy". He got away due to a relatively weak field and also how many Grand Slams has he won after 2010?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well it can't be otherwise. Man's won 8 slams. 90% of the people would act the same way.

·
Registered
889 Posts
After the way Djokovic behaved losing this final, do you really think this is a suitable thread. His behaviour was incredible for a man who lost a match going in with so much weight on his shoulders. Stan and Novak embraced 3 times after match point, if Novak wasn't humble, would so many of the top players like him in this way?

Delpo, Murray, Wawrinka, Stepanek, Karlovic, Coric and many more all are friends of Novak.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
After the way Djokovic behaved losing this final, do you really think this is a suitable thread. His behaviour was incredible for a man who lost a match going in with so much weight on his shoulders. Stan and Novak embraced 3 times after match point, if Novak wasn't humble, would so many of the top players like him in this way?

Delpo, Murray, Wawrinka, Stepanek, Karlovic, Coric and many more all are friends of Novak.
Doesnt he fall out with Murray already?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
novak his ok. I won't say he is humble. I still rememebr the Gorilla Chest fists and the torn T shirt and the howl. But is fine, he was just expressing a relief, a truimph after a hard fought match.

BUT his fandom............ they needed the shock that Stan gave them. Can't be sorry for them..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's not that he is not humble, is that he is way too cocky and given to sudden bouts of rage, disrespectful tirades against crowds and players, and enjoys terrorizing ballboys. ;)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

Agree 100% with this. His attitude after losing yesterday was really admirable. He was a very gracious loser, especially for someone who was "supposed" to win...

I think all great champions are a litte bit arrogant, and I don't blame them, I think when you've done what they've done, you are entitled to a little arrogance... but in my opinion, Novak is the least arrogant in the big 3. I also enjoy the fact that he doesn't "fake" humility as Nadal and Federer often do.
He is also much better at fooling around or making fun of himself, which is, I think, the sign of a certain humility.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look , Humility being shown in a press conference is different than in the match. After all, it really comes across as a bad behavior if in a press conference, he says he is the Best and there is no way anybody can defeat him.

In the match while being Humble, you can think of many strategies while you are down. I think what Novak faced yesterday was, he went into the match believing he just cant lose, that explains his lack of strategy when his hitting lights out at Wawarinka failed. he just couldnt come up with another one. He could have manouvered Rinka a lot more,slowed down the pace, hit at the angles more. There was quite a lot he could have done.

You can only come up with these things if believe in your mind, the other person can be equally better or more.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I think by being humble on court, you mean not to underestimate the opponents and play your best irrespective of the opponents level. Then, I see you have a point. This match is somewhat close to the Arsenal-Monaco CL match. Underestimating an opponent in sports is really a huge mistake.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Agreed. Surely he underestimated Wawrinka, as if it was already a done deal before stepping on court.
I doubt that. Fact is that he has had several very tough matches with Stan the past few years. Two were in the AO, which is Novak's best surface, with Stan winning last year. The other was at the USO that Novak barely won in 5 sets, a match that probably hurt his chances in the 13 final. No player enters a slam final giving the impression that they might lose before the match begins.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Stan did a perfect match, and outplayed Djokovic, there was nothing he can do yesterday, i think if stan play like that against peak Nadal on PC he could win the match.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Instead of a disappointing 8 Grand Slams he could have gotten 12 or 13 by now.

He should be a little more humble in his approach. he thinks sometimes that he is entitled to win the match if he just steps on the court.

I know confidence is a part of his personality but really its not helping his case. I am a Djokovic fan actually, just stay humble, work hard, win the Grand Slams after Grand Slams and then people will love him as they do for Federer and Nadal.

I really think his over confidence is destroying his career somewhat. He should have been a Tier -1 by now instead he is stumbling around and making a name like Lendl.

Examples,

His whining around when the opponents are standing upto him. Numerous times in the match against Murray, he whined for no reason. Same against Wawa.

Its a scientifically proven fact that over confident people have a fragile self-belief which they over compensate by being showing that they are more confident, which gets exposed when somebody of equal ability or more stand upto them.

Discuss.
That has nothing to do with it. I think it doesn't help that he has not faced any easy opponent in finals. I mean take a look at what this guy has had to do to win some of these slams. This humble stuff is crap. We simply don't know enough about Djokovic on a personal level to make that "scientific" conclusion about him.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts