Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The day after his thrilling win against Roger Federer (Indian Wells), Novak Djokovic took a break from his busy schedule to visit Google headquarters, also known as Googleplex, in the aptly-named Mountain View, California.

Djokovic was fortunate enough to test out (and play tennis with!) Google Glass—a wearable computer that responds to voice commands, and is still in the process of research and development.

"I'm really stoked I get to work with Google and test out something that is brand new on the market," Mattek-Sands told USA Today. "All of the players at Wimbledon have been asking about (the glasses)."

From last year/season. B. Mattek-Sands has been bounding around Wimbledon equipped with Google Glass, the wearable-computer that, among other things, she has been using as a tennis training aid.
"When I initially found out about (the glasses) I thought videoing from the vantage point of when I'm practicing or hitting a ball would be so cool to see what my eyes see," Mattek-Sands said.

The potential in tennis is huge, Mattek-Sands believes. Fans sitting courtside eventually will be able to see stats, videotape points to share on social media sites or even tune in to watch a player from that player's point of view. "You get viewpoints that have never been accessed before," Mattek-Sands said.

Mattek-Sands has been working alongside her coach to take a closer look inside what the eye sees. The video really does show the player's perspective. "My coach really liked the viewpoint," Mattek-Sands said. "We had a chance to look at it on the computer and it was a cool training tool."

The glasses have had an off-the-court benefit, too. When flying from tournament to tournament, Mattek-Sands uses the glasses to get traffic reports, tell her what time to leave and if her flight is on time or delayed.
The no-hands factor has made cooking simple. Mattek-Sands, who cooks a lot because of food allergies and restrictions, looks up recipes and gets the directions right there.
There also is a navigation feature, providing directions to anywhere using Google maps and even noting the direction you're facing.
And it has the Google search engine. "I am one of those people that randomly Google searches a lot," Mattek-Sands said. "We might be walking past a building and I Google it.

Unfortunately, it won't be making an appearance during any matches.
Strict regulations on both dress code and not using phones or other communications equipment during matches means that Mattek-Sands will have to put the Glass away during her first-round match against seventh seed Angelique Kerber.
"It's still something on your face and you still kind of see the screen in your right hand sight," Mattek-Sands said. "The practices and the hitting are a little different."

For now, as part of the explorer team, she'll report back giving her thoughts on what she thinks could improve, what she liked and how she could see the glasses help her personally in both tennis and life in general.
"It was cool to have the opportunity to be one of the first one's trying the glasses," Mattek-Sands said. "It's been a blast working with Google."

The short film (below), which was shot entirely using Glass, is simply titled Explorer Story: Bethanie Mattek-Sands (through Glass). The short documentary shows the athlete preparing for her trip to England to compete at Wimbledon, giving tennis fans a rare behind-the-scenes look at the life of a world-ranked tennis pro. Later, after arriving in England, viewers get to see a first-person view of Mattek-Sands training for her matches while wearing Glass and later analyzing footage from the device with her coach.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I have Google Glass ... It's not as impressive as it could be yet ... I am waiting for my Recon Jett and ESPON BTVR now. If you want something cool, try Virtuix Omni. Glass needs a bit of work

1 - 3 of 3 Posts