Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You are delusional, I'm sick of the fanboys here who let their bias for their favorite idol get in the way of facts and science. Italy suffered the worst death toll yesterday but you think this will soon be over so your chosen idol can play a tennis tournament? Do you have any empathy or grasp on reality?
Who said anything about Fed? As for 'empathy', overreactions aren't empathy. That's pure fearmongering.

the real death toll in china's around 100,000
I have to rely on actual statistics, not speculation.

south korea was fortunate to stop the virus getting out of control when a secretive korean christian sect
Ok, I'm done here. Tinfoil hat much?

·
Premium Member
8,281 Posts
I don't know what's worse. People who are massively panicking about the whole situation or people who think it is no big deal?

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Chief, a few days ago you predicted that it won't hit 10k deaths at all while I said it's only a matter of days. Now it's almost at 9k and will hit 10k tomorrow or on Friday (in Italy alone it's almost 500 deaths per day). [...]
It is still below 10k deaths, and 300k infections, well below both numbers at present. We shall see what happens. [...]
Right...

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
It is still below 10k deaths, and 300k infections, well below both numbers at present. We shall see what happens.
I can tell you what will happen: 10k deaths today or tomorrow and 300k cases within a week or so. And don't try to bet against that - it's unfair to you.

How high it gets in Italy depends on a few factors, I'd be very surprised if they surpassed China.
Italy is surpassing China in total death count as we speak - check the stats in the evening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even if we see a decline, how can we start holding sport events shortly after? It would need to be empty stadium and nobody wants that really.

It is going to be a tough time for sport in particular and as a tennis fan I hope we will see tournaments starting from July again. I give it a 50/50 chance, but the next few weeks will show if that holds up.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I can tell you what will happen: 10k deaths today or tomorrow and 300k cases within a week or so. And don't try to bet against that - it's unfair to you.

Italy is surpassing China in total death count as we speak - check the stats in the evening.
The Italian numbers are scary, as for the Chinese numbers I think they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not a hope in hell. There are only 2 ways this actually "ends":

a) Enough people get it and recover that "herd immunity" is acquired. The death toll from this strategy would be unacceptable politically.
b) A vaccine is developed. This is at least a year down the track.

Suppression, which seems to be the strategy just about everywhere, just kicks the can down the road. With no large scale immunity, as soon as you start coming out of lockdown the virus rears it's ugly head again.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I wonder what the odds are at bookies of pandemic reclining after April 1.
OP could make some serous bucks, if he dared.

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
We don't have reliable data from China, so we don't really know how they are actually faring in their fight against Sars-Cov-2.

The initial problem is the risk of overloading public health systems, which would definitely spill over to the streets, and who knows what would happen then. It's not like getting Covid19 is the only problematic thing that could happen to you, after all.

But now, with the economic shutdowns all over the globe, the consequences could be a lot worse than an overloaded health system.

Bottom line, it would be nice if the prediction turned out to be accurate, but I'm not that optimistic.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think the quarantine will (or at least should) last until the middle/end of April. Cases are probably going to peak in Spain within the next day days, then the effect of the quarantine should start to kick in.

The US, by not implementing any type of quarantine measures, is going to see an explosion in cases soon. 5,000 to 10,000 new cases per day for a bit, before they finally understand that they need isolation to slow the spread.

Sports will be on hold for the sole reason the travel, whether it is cross-country or international, needs to be stopped for a while. I work in the betting industry and sports are basically my life, but there is no need to rush them back.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I think the quarantine will (or at least should) last until the middle/end of April. Cases are probably going to peak in Spain within the next day days, then the effect of the quarantine should start to kick in.

The US, by not implementing any type of quarantine measures, is going to see an explosion in cases soon. 5,000 to 10,000 new cases per day for a bit, before they finally understand that they need isolation to slow the spread.

Sports will be on hold for the sole reason the travel, whether it is cross-country or international, needs to be stopped for a while. I work in the betting industry and sports are basically my life, but there is no need to rush them back.
With respect to USA, most schools and colleges have moved to online teaching and most students who are studying hundreds and thousands of miles away from home have gone home to live with their parents. Most employers are asking people to work remotely, whenever they can. Most public libraries, public museums, and other public places are closed. Most bars are closed. Most restaurants have closed their doors to in-person dining and are only open for drive-thru orders and pick-ups. Most businesses are operating for less than normal hours. The US congress has passed the law to send checks to people who lost earnings by staying home so they can meet their basic expenses. The US government is encouraging people to stay home and educating people on social-distancing.

I don't know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
21 - 40 of 366 Posts