Mens Tennis Forums banner

861 - 880 of 1253 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,070 Posts
Sadly we see more and more posts of first- hand experience in this thread.

Sorry to know you are sick, Sara. Do rest more and take care. Hopefully it stays a mild one and you'll recover soon! Of course we'd appreciate it if you could let us know how you are doing.

I'm sorry to hear that IBM. I hope you are doing better now. Rest is important, and hopefully you will spend more time with your loved ones who I am sure will support you through this tough time.
Yeah, I thank you a lot for your nice words. Do spend some time with your loved ones as well in these tough times and hopefully it's all ok in HKG!

·
RAVE ON
18,242 Posts
Two things I picked up on:

Patients have mentioned that early symptoms were loss of taste and smell.

Many young Americans are being hospitalized - it may be related to vaping.

·
Registered
97,179 Posts
Two things I picked up on:

Patients have mentioned that early symptoms were loss of taste and smell.

Many young Americans are being hospitalized - it may be related to vaping.
tbh this is super common for a normal cold as well

i agree all the smoking stuff can make your symptoms worse. My husband and I started with the same symptoms and he's more or less healthy through this, while I have troubles breathing. None of us smokes (I had maybe 15-20 cigarettes through all my life, mostly at school a long time ago, and no weed) but my parents are super heavy smokers and I was always exposed to that and he wasn't.

·
Registered
97,179 Posts
I've got the confirmation on Friday the 13th March (GOAT timing) and had bad trouble from Tuesday last week until Friday and from then on minor issues. However, yesterday and today I'm feeling better, although not really perfect ofc. Still a bad cough and sore throat, but after a while for the first time two days in a row where it doesn't get worse.
Thank you very much for the information. For me it's the 4th day of the noticeably pressed chest/breathing problems. I read on Twitter one Polish girl said she had hers for 5-6 days (and she was also sleeping nearly all day). So let's see. For one good thing, since I got up today, I feel capable of actually holding attention and doing something creative, which I haven't been for a longer while. Hopefully it means it'll be getting better.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts

[...]

A driver for Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro was rushed to the hospital Tuesday with a respiratory illness and was tested for the coronavirus, according to a report.

The report comes as protesters around the country banged their pots and pans on their balconies for the fifth night in a row as a sign of protest against Bolsonaro's response amid the global pandemic.

[...]

In an interview Saturday, Bolsonaro slammed the governors of states including Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo for ordering large-scale quarantines, saying the measures were irresponsible and fueled a “climate of terror,” The Guardian reported.

“It’s an excessive dose of medicine – and too much medicine becomes poison,” Bolsonaro said. “I’m the manager of the team and the team is playing very well.”

Meanwhile, Brazilian Health Minister, Luiz Henrique Mandetta, told NPR last week that the government’s healthcare system, grappling with shortages of intensive care beds and other protective medical equipment, would likely collapse by the end of April.

“Scientists around the world are fighting to find a treatment for Covid-19. In Brazil, meanwhile, the current government’s incompetence is found to be incurable,” the conservative Estado de São Paulo newspaper wrote on Friday.

“We are being invaded by an invisible enemy. We need people who are capable of leading the nation,” Janaina Paschoal, a rightwing congresswoman and once Bolsonaro’s vice-presidential running mate, also said, according to The Guardian.

[...]
Ominous reports from Brazil.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
Brazil President Bolsonaro just said on TV that schools and businesses cannot be closed just because of a normal flu which kills only old people. And that he could catch it and nothing would happen because he used to be an athlete

·
6,189 Posts
Things are now completely insane.
My wife and daughter are still booked to go to the Maldives in late July, that is now not looking good.
Most state boundaries are now closed as well at a local level.
Can't even leave the state, let alone the country.

·
23,039 Posts
From Metro Manila (bordeing Quezon City/Caloocan City to be exact) in Luzon at the Philippines, I wonder which other countries have quite the severe lockdown as we have. We started last March 14 and it's gonna end April 14. Being an archipelago nations it means we have natural water borders, plus air travel is pretty much restricted now (although we didn't do much travel ban especially from China until a bit late IMO). No non-essential activity is allowed practically and even only limited time now to get supplies in and out. Here with my whole immediate family safe and secure for the most part and personally glad we have things like internet and TV for updates and to pass time.

Very concerned overall about the spread of the virus and the survivability ratio we have. Really wish we could finally find a way to make the current system more efficient as hospitals start to become overloaded.

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
It is absurd that the weather should become so beautiful the moment we enter this lockdown. Bright and sunny with clear skies, 16 degrees celsius: the perfect spring day.

This is why the misanthropic memes about Nature recovering from the "virus" of humanity are so despicable (they are, to quote the great Marx, "a libel on the human race"). There is nothing more unnatural than being cooked up at home and separated from other people in these conditions. Sad times!

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
Brazil President Bolsonaro just said on TV that schools and businesses cannot be closed just because of a normal flu which kills only old people. And that he could catch it and nothing would happen because he used to be an athlete
not to mention, it is not like his country is doing alright with just a few cases, they have 46 deaths and 2,201 cases atm.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #874
It is absurd that the weather should become so beautiful the moment we enter this lockdown. Bright and sunny with clear skies, 16 degrees celsius: the perfect spring day.

This is why the misanthropic memes about Nature recovering from the "virus" of humanity are so despicable (they are, to quote the great Marx, "a libel on the human race"). There is nothing more unnatural than being cooked up at home and separated from other people in these conditions. Sad times!
actually weather is absolutely awful in late March standards, and given that we are Mediterranean climate, last few days were 4/5 C. Absolutely mind blowing that York's weather is much better than Istanbul's, world gone mad.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,390 Posts
Whoa.

The Czech Republic received 150,000 coronavirus test kits from China. About 80% of the tests give false results.

(source is in Czech and got out to Polish media)
Czechs also "stole" some thousands of masks from China destined to go to Italy

·
RAVE ON
18,242 Posts

Keep calm, keep you sense of humour and don’t revert to cannibalism.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
In many countries mobile technology / mobile phones are being utilized in contact tracing and/or monitoring people who should be in quarantine. Wish our government/officials would implement something similar soon. Well, don't know how long putting that kind of tech in place would take (Singapore is putting the source code of their recently launched app available worldwide).

Countries hit by, or nearby, 2003 SARS epidemic seem to be a step ahead. Those are countries that seem to have truly been prepared. Finnish officials have also claimed they were well prepared, but all along things keep popping up. Latest: 200 000 people who flew back in the recent weeks have gone who knows where. Includes many people also from infection red zones. Officials now admit that mistakes were made and that the instructions/processes should've been better. Appreciate the sincerity, but too late. People arriving were e.g. sent a text message about the quarantine. One person who arrived on the 15th said he/she received it on the 22nd. Their estimations have also been criticized, but they are unwilling to elaborate on the assumptions etc. They are 3 to 10x more optimistic than many others, even WHO. But it's not only the officials. People are simply unable to take it upon themselves to follow the requests.

[...]

Mobile carriers in the European Union are sharing data with health authorities in Italy, Germany, and Austria to help monitor whether people are following instructions to maintain social distances and stay close to home during the outbreak, Reuters reports.

[...]

Perhaps the most aggressive use of cellphone location tracking is happening in South Korea where the government has created a publicly available map from cellphone data that people can use to determine if they have come into contact with someone who has been infected with the novel coronavirus. South Korea is viewed as something of a success story in its efforts to beat back the spread of the virus; the BBC reports that the country recorded 64 new cases in the past 24 hours, down from its peak of 909 cases reported on February 29th.

South Korea’s health authorities have been sending detailed text messages that range from reminders about handwashing to specific information about people who have tested positive and where they are, The Guardian reports. An example text message read “A woman in her 60s has just tested positive. Click on the link for the places she visited before she was hospitalized.” The link directs to a list of locations the person visited before she tested positive, according to The Guardian.

[...]

In a move to help the international community combat the coronavirus pandemic, the Government will be making the software for its contact-tracing application TraceTogether, which has already been installed by more than 620,000 people, freely available to developers around the world.

In a Facebook post on Monday (March 23), Minister-in-charge of the Smart Nation Initiative Vivian Balakrishnan said that the app, developed by the Government Technology Agency (GovTech) and the Ministry of Health, will be open-sourced.

This means that the software's source code will be made freely available and may be redistributed and modified.

"We believe that making our code available to the world will enhance trust and collaboration in dealing with a global threat that does not respect boundaries, political systems or economies," said Dr Balakrishnan, who is also Foreign Minister.

"Together, we can make our world safer for everyone."

Launched last Friday, the TraceTogether app can identify people who have been within 2m of coronavirus patients for at least 30 minutes, using wireless Bluetooth technology. Its developers say the app is useful when those infected cannot recall whom they had been in close proximity with for an extended duration.

[...]

If a user gets infected, the authorities will be able to quickly find out the other users he has been in close contact with, allowing for easier identification of potential cases and helping curb the spread of the virus.

Official contact tracers will provide a code that users can match with a corresponding verification code on their app. Once authenticated, users will get a PIN that allows data to be submitted.

·
Registered
97,179 Posts
In Norway they were already giving fines to people thanks to their mobiles lol

All countries should do what Rwanda does
crocodiles eat those who leave quarantine

861 - 880 of 1253 Posts