Mens Tennis Forums banner

841 - 860 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
[...]

People also should not self medicate. A man died and his wife in critical condition after swallowing aquarium cleaner containing chloroquine. Just because one medical journal reported potential treatment value of this drug doesn't mean it's safe or effective.

Good job with the headline there Fox News 🤦‍♂️

"Drug cleared by Trump, FDA for coronavirus testing also found in fish tanks - and prices are soaring"

--> Sounds like the pills intended for fish were cleared as well; FOMO (prices for the pills used in aquariums soared on Ebay from 9.99$ to 1250$)

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Read this on the following Telegram page Coronavirus Info LIVE

The Chinese government, which manipulated the WHO, censored and murdered journalists and whistleblowers at the start of the epidemic, said it was unacceptable to associate this new virus with China and the Chinese because that created racism, and continues besides ... which lies on the current figures and hides the reality of the situation in the world, which makes propaganda in the Chinese media by saying that the virus comes from the USA and is in the process to write books for schools in praise of the regime’s fight against this ugly virus, in short. This Chinese government there.

This government, which spends its time shouting at racism, is encouraging the Chinese to "be wary of foreigners". Foreigners who land in China now are forced to pay up to € 2,000 for a 2-week stay in a hotel to be quarantined, then they must carry a barcode that the Chinese authorities scan each time they meet them, to make sure that the person has not cheated on their quarantine, check their background, origin, etc.

People are starting to distrust foreigners so much that many images circulate on social networks of shopping centers formally prohibiting entry to people who are not Chinese, posting prohibition signs or using force (security agents) at the entrance to the shopping centers in question.

Obviously, any information on the reality of the situation is censored and banished from Chinese social networks, on the other hand, any rumor about the guilt of the USA and other European countries and encouraged and put forward.

But this is not the worst.

The worst part is that the authorities, knowing that a second wave of the virus could arrive, begin to create a narrative according to which it would be caused by the foreigners who brought the virus and not because of China, which was great, strong and exemplary in its fight and which had however eradicated it! They do not say it openly yet, but little by little prepare the spirits by saying to watch out for strangers who could be infected and relaunch an epidemic.

The culprit of the second wave, if it were to take place, is already all indicated.

In short. The Chinese government is in the midst of scary, extremely dangerous propaganda, stigma, lies and history rewriting.

Any Chinese here who can give an opinion on this?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Prominent 30-year-old Zimbabwe broadcaster dies of coronavirus

I went to university with this guy. This is crazy. We were not close or anything but we hung around the same circles.

Apparently he had a rare condition which affects the respiratory system in times of stress.
His condition was known prior to contacting the virus but my fear is that some of us may have an underlying condition without even knowing. I hope not, but that's why young people should not feel invincible.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Smh... thinking the government should impose hefty fines (amount that stings) for ignoring the rule. Came across that HK is seemingly at least now testing everyone arriving there: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Yes they are testing everyone now and just recently all non-HK citizens are not allowed to fly into HK so hopefully the situation will be better soon. Yet for a few conseutive days we still have kind of a spike in numbers. For now if you are discovered to have breached the rule, you will be arrested and immediately get sent to a site where everyone is under strict quarantine and be monitored by the government.

Pretty incredible to hear that the community was able to self-organize to mitigate the epidemic. The previous experience with SARS seemingly played a major role (have seen this mentioned somewhere else as well). In this regard Western countries had/have a lot to learn. Even the officials have unfortunately come off as unprepared. Well, truth be told, since this is a new form of Coronavirus even the experts have only not so long ago discovered some of the differences between this and SARS, e.g. that this as opposed to SARS will spread undetected/also through asymptomatic carriers. Still, many underestimations. E.g. in late January the officials still said there's only a small risk that the virus would spread here, especially not as an epidemic. After a few infections, again talked about "potential isolated cases". Also, when it became known that Northern Italy (and ski resorts in Austria) were infectious areas, people returning from those areas were allowed to go their way without being tested (14 days quarantine was already demanded, but you could've also tracked and isolate specific cases).
I would say SARS played a huge part. Otherwise we would not have any idea how to deal with the corona. Basically we are all doing what we did in the SARS outbreak, which back then caused way more casualties than what corona is doing to us today. And guess we are always kind of sceptical when it comes to everything China related (again because of SARS, we paid a heavy price due to China not being open about it same as Europe is paying today). I remember when it was in the news there were only isolated cases of transmission among human, people were already starting to panic. Because you know China is always going to surpress things like that, so the fact that it became news only meant what actually happened was more serious than what was reported.

The masks seem to be beneficial (you hardly see them here), in my understanding not necessarily in protecting the wearer from infections, but the other way round, i.e. help in catching your own coughs and breaths (?). But the narrative in most Western countries seems to be that "masks won't help". Well, this may actually be a well intentioned / calculated lie due to the shortages here and there within the health care system.

That HK has been able to contain it as well as you have is remarkable to me also considering your population density.
I believe that is correct. At times there are people coughing and sneezing around me when I don't notice. If they hadn't worn a mask, I reckon I would have got some of those virus whatever it would be. Some corona postive people are asymptomatic so when everyone wears one, the chance of infection in society is way lower. In fact our medical advice here, contrary to in the western countries, is to wear a mask when you go to a crowded place like using the public transport.

There are some other advice on whether it is effective to use a DIY mask or a towel too.

I wonder how long it in the end takes to truly suffocate the virus... so that it doesn't pop up again. I only read briefly that with SARS, it took 8 months until WHO proclaimed it to be contained. Have not looked more in depth how long it took to peak and then wind down. Do you have any recollection of this, e.g. how long a "state of emergency" took place in HK back then and how this may have impacted the daily life?
I do have recollection of it, especially because my father was working near to the housing estate where it was the centre of outbreak so it was quite a scare for our family. He was out of work for the entire period of the outbreak and even shortly after when the place was still closed for precaution. For daily life, I remember spending a lot of time at home, school was closed since February and we never had to go back until the summer break. There was hardly anyone on the street and you went everywhere with a mask on. I would say that lasted at least 6 or 7 months before we got back to normal. Even after that, when we got back to school in September at the start of semester, everyone was cautious and aware of hygiene even though that was no more case, so things returned to normal at quite a slow pace.

My local club is still open, but they recommend you don't use the locker rooms, and have limited the number of people on a single court to 5 (restricts mostly some group lessons). Personally taking a break now though. Would feel better playing outside, but since it's the tail-end of winter here, not close to that yet.

Be safe.
We play outdoors so there is better air ventilation. We have a limit of 4 people on a single court. The showers are closed. I am seriously considering giving it a break for a while because I feel that's the time I am most at risk - without a mask, close contact with people, etc.

Things are very scary at the moment in Europe. I can't imagine how life is there. Stay safe too.

·
10,118 Posts
Yeah my club closed down.

And USTA has all but cancelled all team leagues that were going to happen between March-May.

I was going to be on a official USTA team for once :(. Maybe summer things might be more normal, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
As for me I just can't express how overwhelmed I am by all of your messages and that I really want to thank everyone for their encouraging and nice words! As I said in my post I wasn't sure if I should tell anything about it, but looking at this thread every kind of information could probably help people. Thank you for all of your best wishes and may you all just like everyone else on this thread be spared of this or if so then hopefully asymptomatic.

Gonna share some experiences and tips in case you're interested how I'm doing.

I'm feeling much better than the past days. I still have quite a nasty cough and take some meds. In case I get fever or I do feel worse then I take Paracetamol. I've done quite a bad mistake a week ago, I didn't take it seriously with all those stories on ibuprofen, hence I took those pills. Afterwards I got these breath issues and it could be that there is truly some kind of connection as I didn't have such symptoms once I've switched to Paracetamol. Otoh it could be that those symptoms were inevitable and aren't related to ibuprofen at all. I don't know, but I'd recommend you all to stock up paracetamol just in case without panic buying ofc.

I've slept most of the weekend and was like six hours awake yesterday for example, you just don't feel up to do anything but rest. However, I'm still trying to find distraction whenever I'm awake. I mostly eat fruits, vegetables and honey and treat it like a very bad cold domestic remedy wise. A lot of tea, water and yes, humidity is really horrific and hence I take a shower for like five minutes, otherwise I start coughing like crazy.

Btw I'm just reading very often that this COVID19 is like a bad flu. I'm stunned how underestimated the flu here and everywhere else is. It was the most lethal virus in Western world and is nowhere comparable with a bad cold you have once every blue moon. However, those numbers are ridiculously low compared to Corona.
Let's take a look at the numbers from Germany:

2019/20 119,000 people suffered the so called grippe in Germany. Those are the numbers delivered by the Robert-Koch-Institut, dark figure is probably a lot higher.
202 people died sadly during this time span. This means the mortality rate is approximately 0.17% [1]. Influenza season is about to finish, so these numbers won't change dramatically.

As for Corona 27,546 people got infected in Germany and 115 died, ergo 0.42% mortality and we're just at the beginning here [2]. A lot more will follow and come sadly, so numbers will sky-rocket soon the next weeks just like in Italy or Spain. As well as above with influenza dark figure is as well a lot higher, too.

So even in a country with one of the best healthcare systems in the world and with yet very low numbers, Corona is about double to three times more dangerous than the common flu. Let alone comparing these stats from countries like Italy, Spain or France. Yes, people, we're facing an incredibly hard challenge and this is something pretty unique. Let's stop spreading false news or be too over-confident as we did here in Europe a month ago. We know the outcome of it already.

Sources:

[1] Grippe 2019/2020 aktuell: Bereits über 119.000 bestätigte Influenza-Fälle
[2] Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
Glad you're feeling better!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So good to hear that you're feeling better now @IBM.

I have just learned today that I'm infected, but since I live with a doctor who sees corona/COVID-19 patients almost every day I pretty much knew this couldn't be avoided. I was more or less hoping this would rather hit me sooner than later, so I guess I got lucky in that sense. Of course I would have preferred to have avoided all of this altogether, but you can't control everything in life, so I was not having any illusions about that.

So far I'm doing relatively well, considering all that could be going on. And I'm not panicking, just taking it day by day. You never know what's going to come next, but there's no need to make it worse by worrying about it.

I have fever, a very sore throat and some lugn issues, but nothing more than that so far. Ok, one more thing: I'm exremely tired.

I haven't been able to read through all the recent posts in this thread yet, being this tired, but in case you didn't know yet (and in case no one has posted anything about it in this thread already), there are already some sorts of existing treatments, i.e. medicin/drugs, which can be used for this virus. The problem with these is mainly that you need to be able to take them right away once the virus gets to your system, otherwise they'll no longer be effective. Also, they have side effects.

Bearing in mind this virus may not show any symptoms before it's far too late to take any medicin, I don't think these treatments are very effective, but I have in each case provided a small bottle of the drug to everyone I know who belongs to a risk group (long before I got infected naturally).
I have not taken any myself, as I feel that I can deal with this and am not really convinced about a large variety of drugs (unless they're well researched and you really need them, of course - I will take antibiotics for infections caused by bacteria if nothing else helps, but it's the last means I will use knowing they'll destroy so many useful bacteria in my body). They all have at least some side effects, some more severe than others, and you really can't be 100% sure how your body will react to them.

I wish all of you good health and hope that you manage to stay safe.

I also wish you wouldn't need to panic, since high stress levels won't help anyone in dealing with the virus.
At the same time I understand that all that is going on in the world right now will cause stress to many, and it won't help much if I keep on saying 'pls don't panic'.
However, take good care of yourself, all of you.

I can write an update on my situation later on once I know more, should anyone be interested. And I appreciate the way IBM has already contributed to all this.
Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
97,179 Posts
OK so now I'm pretty sure I have a corona. Pressed chest and sleeping 18 h a day.

However, I had worse flus and colds than this.

Seriously, I've felt physically worse during each and single flu I had.

The problem here is a bit of a panic factor because this is something that develops harder in the second week (I'm in the second week) and to be honest you don't know into what it will end up developing in your body, how your immunity system will react (especially that I am of very poor health in general). I guess all of us had several flus in our lives, we know all the symptoms, here we basically don't know anything. This pressed chest thing just feels fcking scary.

Especially that mild cases aren't treated, you should just sit at home and tbh it's fair enough. Right now I'm totally sure there are people who need care more than me and I think mild cases shouldn't waste health care workers' time. But it's a bit scary if you miss the point when your mild case stops being mild.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
my fear is that some of us may have an underlying condition without even knowing. I hope not, but that's why young people should not feel invincible.
That is true. We're hearing more and more testimonies from doctors around the world about young and seemingly overall healthy people deteriorate from exhibiting mild symptoms to needing ICU and life support very quickly. Some due to undiscovered underlying conditions and some due to pure bad luck.
People just struggle to accept our current (unimaginable only a few months ago) reality. They disregard quarantine and see it as some sort of vacation and an excuse to mass hit beaches, parks and so on. Or alternatively, try to push the false narrative of saving the economy vs. saving the "weak". Either way, burying the head in the sand is not going to change anything. Everyone can get sick and nobody should feel invincible.

@Sara X , I am sorry to hear you got infected. Get well soon!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts

I have just learned today that I'm infected, but since I live with a doctor who sees corona/COVID-19 patients almost every day I pretty much knew this couldn't be avoided. I was more or less hoping this would rather hit me sooner than later, so I guess I got lucky in that sense. Of course I would have preferred to have avoided all of this altogether, but you can't control everything in life, so I was not having any illusions about that.

So far I'm doing relatively well, considering all that could be going on. And I'm not panicking, just taking it day by day. You never know what's going to come next, but there's no need to make it worse by worrying about it.

I have fever, a very sore throat and some lugn issues, but nothing more than that so far. Ok, one more thing: I'm exremely tired.

I haven't been able to read through all the recent posts in this thread yet, being this tired, but in case you didn't know yet (and in case no one has posted anything about it in this thread already), there are already some sorts of existing treatments, i.e. medicin/drugs, which can be used for this virus. The problem with these is mainly that you need to be able to take them right away once the virus gets to your system, otherwise they'll no longer be effective. Also, they have side effects.

Bearing in mind this virus may not show any symptoms before it's far too late to take any medicin, I don't think these treatments are very effective, but I have in each case provided a small bottle of the drug to everyone I know who belongs to a risk group (long before I got infected naturally).
I have not taken any myself, as I feel that I can deal with this and am not really convinced about a large variety of drugs (unless they're well researched and you really need them, of course - I will take antibiotics for infections caused by bacteria if nothing else helps, but it's the last means I will use knowing they'll destroy so many useful bacteria in my body). They all have at least some side effects, some more severe than others, and you really can't be 100% sure how your body will react to them.

I also wish you wouldn't need to panic, since high stress levels won't help anyone in dealing with the virus.
At the same time I understand that all that is going on in the world right now will cause stress to many, and it won't help much if I keep on saying 'pls don't panic'.

I can write an update on my situation later on once I know more, should anyone be interested. And I appreciate the way IBM has already contributed to all this.
Sadly we see more and more posts of first- hand experience in this thread.

Sorry to know you are sick, Sara. Do rest more and take care. Hopefully it stays a mild one and you'll recover soon! Of course we'd appreciate it if you could let us know how you are doing.

Well, I think I admit that I’ve been tested as I’ve mentioned a few days ago and received the result just a week ago. Corona positive. As I didn’t show severe [sic!] symptoms, they told me to isolate myself at home. I didn’t want to reveal it, but I guess it’s good for other people to know how this shit works.

I can say it’s an awful disease. I got this probably at a party I’ve attended like three weeks ago, where I didn’t know there would have been people from Italy too and that those were probably infected.

Could be also that we have a minor outbreak here in my town where my uni is. We don’t know, but all I know is this is really tiring.

The first four days after I got this confirmation I felt like: ok, this seems like a harmless cold. But from Tuesday on I have quite a bad cough and went to hospital on Thursday again, when I couldn’t breathe normally anymore. Got immediate help and after like three hours we’ve done a lung ct and got the results today. They’re not in best of health and it ought to be observed the next days, but thankfully no inflammation and there is not one expected.

You feel awfully exhausted tho and just want to sleep whole day long. The fact that you pretty much have to isolate yourself, can’t even have normal contact to my brothers or my mom the floors below me and just have to live like an orthodox monk in my attic flat is really challenging. By now we think that all of my family somehow has it, but their cases are all asymptomatic thankfully. I was once again the lucky one with a mild one.

The cough is unbearable dry and the meds I got in case I feel short of breath are some heavy stuff, but apart from that one single moment back then I’m feeling ok, just like battered tho. Docs told me to rest in my bed for at least three weeks and I’ve just passed the first one.

To think that I am a mild case with my now 25 years and I feel like I got three flus in one (ofc I had influenza just a month ago, so I could compare them by my own), I’m thankful that it is controllable. I’ve seen just the past two days how long I had to wait cause how many sick people got delivered at my local hospital, this is only getting more and more serious and we’re just here at the start in Germany.

Hence I ask you folks to just stay at home. Most of the people won’t even realise they have corona, but there are others who will suffer mild symptoms like me and others with severe ones and sadly about to die. So therefore I just can tell you: AVOID CONTACT. This is not like your regular flu, we haven’t been exposed by this yet. Just stay at home or do sports when you’re alone in the middle of nowhere.

As for me my only medicine for now is sleep, distraction, self care and chat with the few ones I love to gain me energy through these difficult times. Anyone can catch that and be come a serious case. So don’t underestimate it, don’t expose yourself with it; try to avoid social gatherings by any means and realise how much responsibility everyone on here in fact has. Only together we will get through this.
I'm sorry to hear that IBM. I hope you are doing better now. Rest is important, and hopefully you will spend more time with your loved ones who I am sure will support you through this tough time.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
OK so now I'm pretty sure I have a corona. Pressed chest and sleeping 18 h a day.

However, I had worse flus and colds than this.

Seriously, I've felt physically worse during each and single flu I had.

The problem here is a bit of a panic factor because this is something that develops harder in the second week (I'm in the second week) and to be honest you don't know into what it will end up developing in your body, how your immunity system will react (especially that I am of very poor health in general). I guess all of us had several flus in our lives, we know all the symptoms, here we basically don't know anything. This pressed chest thing just feels fcking scary.

Especially that mild cases aren't treated, you should just sit at home and tbh it's fair enough. Right now I'm totally sure there are people who need care more than me and I think mild cases shouldn't waste health care workers' time. But it's a bit scary if you miss the point when your mild case stops being mild.
Came across this piece: A plea from doctors in Italy: Treat more Covid-19 patients at home - STAT

Saying that hospitals may have become part of the reason for the high numbers, and that people should instead isolate wards/hospitals only for Covid-19.

[...]

One such step reflects the finding that hospitals might be “the main” source of Covid-19 transmission, the Bergamo doctors warned. The related coronavirus illness MERS also has high transmission rates within hospitals, as did SARS during its 2003 epidemic.

Major hospitals such as Bergamo’s “are themselves becoming sources of [coronavirus] infection,” Cereda said, with Covid-19 patients indirectly transmitting infections to non-Covid-19 patients. Ambulances and infected personnel, especially those without symptoms, carry the contagion both to other patients and back into the community.

“All my friends in Italy tell me the same thing,” Cereda said. “[Covid-19] patients started arriving and the rate of infection in other patients soared. That is one thing that probably led to the current disaster.”

[...]
Hope things will get better for you. Be wary of a long lasting fever. Just read about a 58 y/o woman in Sweden whose heart eventually gave up. Fever close to 40 degrees celcius for one week, then it dropped to around 37, but by then it had taken its toll on her heart.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,390 Posts
Italy increase in the number of cases and deaths from yesterday

·
Registered
97,179 Posts

Damn sorry to hear.

Yes please give us updates how it's going on for you.

I was also too tired to log in for the last few days so this seems to be a good measure, if you can't log to MTF it means you have coronavirus :D

Also the key is to not panic of course, but then when you read how even young people can turn from mild to critical overnight, and health system is effing blocked (probably everywhere in Europe except Germany) it is not helping.

·
Registered
97,179 Posts
Oh no, damn. Wished that I was the only mtfer.
If you have any questions as I'm a week ahead, just shoot me a pm and tag me wherever you want. As for now I just recommend you to rest, rest and rest and drink a lot of water. Good that you have a doctor near your home or in your home even, stay in bed and try to feel some joy or laugh. As you know latter is the best medicine, but obviously as much as you can. We will get through this, I'm sure! Stay strong and get well soon!
damn, another infected poster

you seem to be ahead of us, for how many days did you have trouble breathing (or do you still have them)?

·
Registered
97,179 Posts
Came across this piece: A plea from doctors in Italy: Treat more Covid-19 patients at home - STAT

Saying that hospitals may have become part of the reason for the high numbers, and that people should instead isolate wards/hospitals only for Covid-19.

Hope things will get better for you. Be wary of a long lasting fever. Just read about a 58 y/o woman in Sweden whose heart eventually gave up. Fever close to 40 degrees celcius for one week, then it dropped to around 37, but by then it had taken its toll on her heart.
i've never had a fever for the last 15 years. i have several other ongoing conditions (i knew i'm a risk group) and it seems my body just started to work differently

Norway doesn't have many people in hospitals, their planned peak COVID capacity is... 1700 at once. Whoa. So I know they want people just to stay at home.

I also know they have several infected doctors and nurses :(

·
Super Moderator
8,070 Posts
damn, another infected poster

you seem to be ahead of us, for how many days did you have trouble breathing (or do you still have them)?
I've got the confirmation on Friday the 13th March (GOAT timing) and had bad trouble from Tuesday last week until Friday and from then on minor issues. However, yesterday and today I'm feeling better, although not really perfect ofc. Still a bad cough and sore throat, but after a while for the first time two days in a row where it doesn't get worse.

841 - 860 of 1253 Posts