Mens Tennis Forums banner

4901 - 4920 of 4988 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
So what is Uruguay doing wrong now?
We have a huge land border with Brazil. The new brazilian variant was discovered here a month ago, which seems to be a lot more contagious, but not more deadly...so more cases.

Maybe you haven't noticed but the behaviour of cases around the world is pretty random in the way the increase and decrease regardless of measures taken

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
No, Uruguayans might care that cases are rising.

And by the way, yesterday when I compared Sweden and Norway, nachotuerto said "not good". It is not informative to compare two countries.

Yet today it is all about comparing Uruguay to Argentina.
I am only trying to show that for every example you show where a country that had hard measures has better numbers than a country with softer measures, there is also an example of the opposite.
Showing that harder measures don't necessarily mean fewer cases or fewer deaths.
I am not saying having no lockdown will mean fewer cases. I am saying lockdowns have no effect.

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts
Oh OK. Yes, they do care. But I wonder if they'll consider locking everything down since their neighbor is a good example that it doesn't work.

It is informative to compare Sweden and Norway as well. It's just interesting why results are so random all over the world. Why Czech Republic had the most deaths per 1mln. pop. Why Lithuania is twice as worse than their neighbor Latvia, while being in a hard lockdown.
I agree that we are trending here to the conclusion that nobody here has an explanation for the distribution of case and death rates around the world.

Maybe it has to be taken into consideration that in some countries where there was no government lockdown, the citizens took their own measures to avoid infection.

The bottom line for me might be that nobody could deny that the virus is transmitted by close contact. So the endpoint for elimination of the virus is nobody ever being within 2m of another person until Covid disappears. While that is impossible, it would seem logical that the closer you can get to that end-point the better.

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts
We'll have our lives back.
Thanks to brilliant Operation Warp Speed the world will have abundance of vaccine in several months.
It's indeed back to normal, especially to me. As I got my first shot yesterday - thanks to the above mentioned operation and people who envisioned and implemented it.
Now that the doctors involved in the WH panel to deal with Covid have spoken out, it is convincingly clear that hundreds of thousands of excess deaths in the US are the result of Trump’s indifference to science and the health of Americans other than himself. His only interest was re-election and the avoidance of being in court to answer for his financial crimes. I have been saying this for almost a year.
Whatever you may want to argue about Trump’s role in speeding up development of a vaccine, the fact remains that it came too late for hundreds of thousands Americans that died because he was indifferent to Covid and actively encouraged Americans to show the same indifference.

"DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE AND HEAR WITH YOUR OWN EYES AND EARS"

That was be-all and end-all of the Trump administration. And it actually worked on a staggering amount of Americans, culminating in the terrorist attack on the Capitol, urged on by Trump and maybe even co-ordinated by Roger Stone, the American traitor that Trump pardoned so that he could carry on with his treasonous activities on behalf of Trump.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Now that the doctors involved in the WH panel to deal with Covid have spoken out, it is convincingly clear that hundreds of thousands of excess deaths in the US are the result of Trump’s indifference to science and the health of Americans other than himself. His only interest was re-election and the avoidance of being in court to answer for his financial crimes. I have been saying this for almost a year.
Whatever you may want to argue about Trump’s role in speeding up development of a vaccine, the fact remains that it came too late for hundreds of thousands Americans that died because he was indifferent to Covid and actively encouraged Americans to show the same indifference.

"DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE AND HEAR WITH YOUR OWN EYES AND EARS"

That was be-all and end-all of the Trump administration. And it actually worked on a staggering amount of Americans, culminating in the terrorist attack on the Capitol, urged on by Trump and maybe even co-ordinated by Roger Stone, the American traitor that Trump pardoned so that he could carry on with his treasonous activities on behalf of Trump.

What do you know..looks like Trump was right calling it a "China virus", "Wuhan flu". I hope people won't forget US' own NGOs involvement in Wuhan lab as well (Eco-Health Alliance). I believe even under Trump's administration funding was approved.

Quoting your previous post, that's exactly right: our discussion will lead nowhere, but we have to agree on randomness by comparing different areas of the world. Of course it's better not to make contact if you don't want to get ill, that's why people should make decisions between their family members, relatives, friends, whether to visit each other or not. No need for state's intervention. It's even immoral and can lead to nasty nasty things down the years if you give such powers to the state and our "representatives". Obviously, you're heavily anti-Trump, so I don't think you would like Trump to have such powers. The thing is, people in the administration change and one day or another there will be people who will not have your best interests in their mind, e.g. Trump Jr. maybe?

That Twitter thread just above your posts is really interesting. Info is from CDC and they constantly noted that there are no evidence for lockdowns when stopping transmission of influenza, but there's a "mechanic plausibility". We cannot let people rule us over based on "mechanic plausibility" even if the intentions are good and you agree with the measures.

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts

What do you know..looks like Trump was right calling it a "China virus", "Wuhan flu". I hope people won't forget US' own NGOs involvement in Wuhan lab as well (Eco-Health Alliance). I believe even under Trump's administration funding was approved.

Quoting your previous post, that's exactly right: our discussion will lead nowhere, but we have to agree on randomness by comparing different areas of the world. Of course it's better not to make contact if you don't want to get ill, that's why people should make decisions between their family members, relatives, friends, whether to visit each other or not. No need for state's intervention. It's even immoral and can lead to nasty nasty things down the years if you give such powers to the state and our "representatives". Obviously, you're heavily anti-Trump, so I don't think you would like Trump to have such powers. The thing is, people in the administration change and one day or another there will be people who will not have your best interests in their mind, e.g. Trump Jr. maybe?

That Twitter thread just above your posts is really interesting. Info is from CDC and they constantly noted that there are no evidence for lockdowns when stopping transmission of influenza, but there's a "mechanic plausibility". We cannot let people rule us over based on "mechanic plausibility" even if the intentions are good and you agree with the measures.
The ex- director of the CDC made clear that this was his opinion, not a fact.

Was Trump also correct to call it the Kung Flu? Do you know that physical attacks on Asian-Americans has soared since the inferences that "Chinese-looking" people in the US are to blame for Covid? And we all know what kind of racist people fall for this kind of bigotry.

Speaking of random, can anyone explain why California now has the lowest seven-day average of new cases in all of the US (except Arkansas)?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The ex- director of the CDC made clear that this was his opinion, not a fact.

Was Trump also correct to call it the Kung Flu? Do you know that physical attacks on Asian-Americans has soared since the inferences that "Chinese-looking" people in the US are to blame for Covid? And we all know what kind of racist people fall for this kind of bigotry.

Speaking of random, can anyone explain why California now has the lowest seven-day average of new cases in all of the US (except Arkansas)?
No, we cannot. I think you'd find that all the states had the lowest case 7-day moving avg. at some point throughout the past year. Except maybe NY, NJ.

I have to agree that "Kung Flu" is actually funny, but a bit distasteful coming from the president. On the other hand, these comments put some pressure on China, who constantly failed to provide any meaningful and transparent information regarding the origins of the virus. I'm 100% sure it came from the lab, but I cannot prove beyond the reasonable doubt (hope I got the saying correct). It's just my opinion given all the shady facts that lead to that lab.

There're plenty of idiots who cannot differentiate that the actions of the state are not the actions of it's citizens'. Pathetic people do pathetic things and all such attacks should be condemned, if the statistics are true. I don't have any trust in the media though, which is fully capable of extrapolating an isolated incident into a trend of some sorts.

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts
Violently pushing elderly, defenceless Asians to the ground from behind is a trend. One has already died.
In the Atlanta shootings 6 of the eight people killed were Asian women. The motive is not known, but the killings took place at 3 different massage parlours, all three of which were staffed by Asians. The suspect drove across the city in his killing spree, so the chance that the spas were randomly chosen is slight.

I do not think the media invented the massacre or the trend. Police records on hate crimes are readily available.

So, Kung Flu was maybe not so funny. But the issue of anti-minority hate crimes in the US is more relevant to the Trump thread.

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts
There're plenty of idiots who cannot differentiate that the actions of the state are not the actions of it's citizens'. Pathetic people do pathetic things and all such attacks should be condemned, if the statistics are true. I don't have any trust in the media though, which is fully capable of extrapolating an isolated incident into a trend of some sorts.
New video this morning of an elderly Asian lady in NY being pushed to the ground and then repeatedly kicked in the head. Some people watched, but nobody tried to stop it.

Isolated incident or trend? Real or fake video?

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
New video this morning of an elderly Asian lady in NY being pushed to the ground and then repeatedly kicked in the head. Some people watched, but nobody tried to stop it.

Isolated incident or trend? Real or fake video?
The Atlanta SPA parlor guy was a loonie who had a sex addiction, according to him. He even admitted himself to a rehab previously. It has nothing to do with coronavirus. Don't you think you'd find such videos all over the US involving different races and sexes?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ahhhh, conspiracy, eh?

Dr. de Villa probably had the news from the Ontario Covid advisory Panel before official publication. She is not on the panel.
Whether "data shows" or "we’re hearing" is used does not matter. The report published yesterday afternoon documents that hospitalizations among younger Ontarians are rising significantly.
No one's saying covid doesnt exist, will you stop implying that? We just want to back to normal. My 76 yo grandfather agrees.

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts
No one's saying covid doesnt exist, will you stop implying that? We just want to back to normal. My 76 yo grandfather agrees.
I meant a conspiracy about the new "data." I never implied that people say Covid does not exist and never have (although an alarming number of devoted Trumpers do say that.)

Yesterday in Ontario the number of people admitted to ICUs hit a new record high.

I am the same age as your grandfather and I want back to normal, too. But I am willing to delay that to avoid the possibility of personally never knowing normal again.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Everyone wants back to normal. The problem is there is no way to achieve that. As long as Covid is raging and only a minority if people is vaccinated, the choice is between different versions of abnormal.

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts
The Atlanta SPA parlor guy was a loonie who had a sex addiction, according to him. He even admitted himself to a rehab previously. It has nothing to do with coronavirus. Don't you think you'd find such videos all over the US involving different races and sexes?
Does not explain why he chose Asians as his target.

·
RAVE ON
19,730 Posts
Everyone wants back to normal. The problem is there is no way to achieve that. As long as Covid is raging and only a minority if people is vaccinated, the choice is between different versions of abnormal.
Yes, people say they want to be back to normal, but they mean that they want to behave like everything is normal.
Normal is not having a pandemic in progress. Hopefully normal will be when everyone is vaccinated - or enough people to make the number of unvaccinated insignificant.

4901 - 4920 of 4988 Posts