Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1253 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,070 Posts
The common flu kills way more each year, don't sweat too much about this.

I know, it can spread crazily, but I don't think it will. It's being handled pretty well by health authorities all over the world, generally.
We thought the same about H1N1/Swine flu and it needed six months to grass in Europe. We underestimated it, called it harmless (‘Swine’ flu) and many people including me were about to die thanks to this.

As for Corona virus I wouldn’t panic, but nevertheless still act now. It takes a lot to be pandemic still, but the R0-stat is between 2-5 people. So with one infected person you can infect at least 2-5 people in average.

For example Ebola or the Black Death had R0 stats from 1.8 to 2.3. Little do we know about the virus and its symptoms, but in case those numbers get confirmed the global risk for a dangerous and mutating pandemic is ridiculously high. There’s much at stake and we need to find out more, hence we should stay calm but prepared.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Call me paranoid but it smells of a giant exercise of extreme population control by the Chinese goverment.
No doubt

·
RAVE ON
18,242 Posts
I can't help but asking myself why all those 'new' viruses (the "swine", the SARS, the HDxxx whatevers,...) always magically appear in China...
No magic.
They are present in wild animals, that end up in food markets in China.
In other countries they are not usually eaten.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
OP was anything but panic what are you guys refering to? Social media or papers?
There's no cause for most people in Europe and America to panic, but precaution is needed. As of now it seems the cases over there are mostly imported rather than from local transmission (1 case of local transmission in the US as far as I know). For myself I'm quite worried because we live so close to China and quite a lot of people from China are coming over. We have learned our lesson from the outbreak of SARS many years ago which killed hundreds of people so generally we are cautious. I've read news that some people got the virus from a business meeting in China! And people are getting infected from even very brief human contact. What we know is it is highly infectious so even though it has yet reached the farther places we should be cautious.

We thought the same about H1N1/Swine flu and it needed six months to grass in Europe. We underestimated it, called it harmless (‘Swine’ flu) and many people including me were about to die thanks to this.
Could you get yourself extra protective gear, please?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There's no cause for most people in Europe and America to panic, but precaution is needed. As of now it seems the cases over there are mostly imported rather than from local transmission (1 case of local transmission in the US as far as I know). For myself I'm quite worried because we live so close to China and quite a lot of people from China are coming over. We have learned our lesson from the outbreak of SARS many years ago which killed hundreds of people so generally we are cautious. I've read news that some people got the virus from a business meeting in China! And people are getting infected from even very brief human contact. What we know is it is highly infectious so even though it has yet reached the farther places we should be cautious.

Could you get yourself extra protective gear, please?
I agree wholeheartedly. The other day, I observed 1 out 10 people were wearing mask in Istanbul, and we are yet to encounter a case here, so people are aware of what is going on and how serious it is. Our media is freaked out, it also fuels racism in Europe towards Chinese, on Thursday I believe, Chinese couple were attacked in Venice, Italy. 'Infected monsters get out of my city' was shouted, scenes...

Hopefully it is going to be handled professionaly by all parties and Chinese people change their eating habits soon...

·
justice for all
12,911 Posts
No magic.
They are present in wild animals, that end up in food markets in China.
In other countries they are not usually eaten.
Well some of them do outbreak in Africa too (i.e. Ebola). Same thing happens there with eating wild animals like bats for example.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
There has been rumors about the virus being a bioweapon originated from a lab in warfare Wuhan rather than from the wet market of wild animals (But man, it's extremely horrific to be eating bats, cats and dogs!). It has been denied by the Chinese government but some coincidences are worth noting.

There have been more than twenty thousand confirmed cases in China and I'm quite sure the real figures are higher than what we get from the official media channels.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Top 4 autocompletes of Google search for
"Chinese eat"

1. Chinese eat live mice
2. Chinese eat dogs
3. Chinese eat mice
4. Сhinese eat cow dung

·
Registered
21,321 Posts
The common flu kills way more each year, don't sweat too much about this.

I know, it can spread crazily, but I don't think it will. It's being handled pretty well by health authorities all over the world, generally.

Really makes you think

There has been rumors about the virus being a bioweapon originated from a lab in warfare Wuhan rather than from the wet market of wild animals (But man, it's extremely horrific to be eating bats, cats and dogs!). It has been denied by the Chinese government but some coincidences are worth noting.

There have been more than twenty thousand confirmed cases in China and I'm quite sure the real figures are higher than what we get from the official media channels.
If you think eating bats, cats and dogs is horrific, then I assume you think eating chickens, cows and pigs is extremely horrific as well? Furthermore, thinking the Chinese government would unleash this on their own citizens is batshit (pun intended) insane conspiracy theory territory. Why would they do that? It only hurts them. If you're going to think in that direction, which country has a history of unleashing biological weapons on their enemies and currently sees China as their biggest threat?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
For now only immuno - compromised, chronically ill and elderly patients are the vast majority of victims. There are 1 or 2 reported cases of immunocompetent patients dying, that I know of. However, the disease itself has 2-3% mortality rate, which is very high for a contagious disease. There is no available cure or vaccine yet, therapy is supportive in the manner that it sustains you until your immune system does the job. There are many asymptomatic cases that still carry and spread the virus and they go around unnoticed and potentially endanger sensitive populations, hence all the precautions. There is no fear of virus mutations, because it is extremely rare that mutation enhances the virulence, rather it numbs it down. However there is a fear that the disease may become endemic - that it will circulate in a given population. I expect the rate of spread to start dropping after an initial spike. One should definitely check any prolonged respiratory illness symptoms that are not resolving after 5-7 days.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
just gross, man.
My friend used to live in Beijing for 3 years, doing doctorate in Chinese language and literature. He says, sadly, communism completely zombified that nation and made them devoid of personal hygiene, care for the cleanness of their living space. He literally saw people take a crap in the bush in the middle of the street when they felt the urge to, when people eat in restaurants, they spit chewed foot leftovers on a table... When there was a nations' festival at the university, his female colleagues were braiding hair as a traditional thing from Balkans, she stopped after 3 or 4, because she said she had never seen people have such a greasy hair, that was almost matted. A great nation ruined by forced uniformity. Orvellian reality.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts

Really makes you think

If you think eating bats, cats and dogs is horrific, then I assume you think eating chickens, cows and pigs is extremely horrific as well? Furthermore, thinking the Chinese government would unleash this on their own citizens is batshit (pun intended) insane conspiracy theory territory. Why would they do that? It only hurts them. If you're going to think in that direction, which country has a history of unleashing biological weapons on their enemies and currently sees China as their biggest threat?

Eating bats is gross because they carry virus.

For me eating cats and dogs is similar to cannibalism. It is wrong to eat pets and those animals who have close relations with human in my opinion. I mean, I used to have a cat and she was family.

The US is simailrly evil and in fact is no better than China. I'll always criticise China more because I'm a victim of Chinese oppression. That doesn't mean I think the US is less evil.

·
Registered
21,321 Posts
Eating bats is gross because they carry virus.

For me eating cats and dogs is similar to cannibalism. It is wrong to eat pets and those animals who have close relations with human in my opinion. I mean, I used to have a cat and she was family.

It's all racist propaganda to paint Asians as dirty disease carriers, as has been the case for centuries. In other words, you're playing yourself. You viewing cats and dogs as near-human is purely cultural. In India cows are holy, we eat them.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts

It's all racist propaganda to paint Asians as dirty disease carriers, as has been the case for centuries. In other words, you're playing yourself. You viewing cats and dogs as near-human is purely cultural. In India cows are holy, we eat them.
I understand what you say but regardless of racist propaganda, it's a fact that the virus originates from China, likely due to people's eating habit. I'm not going to refrain from criticising that because what I think is coincidental with a racist narrative against Asians and I am one of them. Thinking with that victim complex only makes people lose the ability to think objectively from what I see.

I agree it is cultural to view cats and dogs as near-human. What's the problem to follow your own culture when there is no harm caused to other people? The same cannot be said about eating virus carrying animals. And eating cats and dogs is only horrific from my point of view.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
@Chris Kuerten

Okay let's get rid of "gross" bit, the virus arrived from what they eat, no matter if it was delicious looking or disgusting, so that reason alone should be enough for consideration.

Afaik no virus appeared as a result of us eating cows/lambs/chickens.

21 - 40 of 1253 Posts