Mens Tennis Forums banner

3041 - 3060 of 3095 Posts

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
not surprised based on general lifestyle choices...
I'm surprised that more (much more) funds are not thrown at fighting this catastrophe.
Watch any Walmart video on YouTube and you will think 36% is an underestimation.
I know... I mean, it's not like I was not aware of the situation. But stone cold numbers provide a kinda different perspective... We're not talking about people with less than ideal BMI and a few extra pounds. It's freaking obesity!.. :oops:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,053 Posts
I'm surprised that more (much more) funds are not thrown at fighting this catastrophe.

I know... I mean, it's not like I was not aware of the situation. But stone cold numbers provide a kinda different perspective... We're not talking about people with less than ideal BMI and a few extra pounds. It's freaking obesity!.. :oops:
well in AUS, 65% of people are overweight or obese.

·
RAVE ON
18,876 Posts
Last month at a rally, Trump saw a man in the crowd holding a protest sign. He fat shamed him in front of the crowd, saying, "get that guy out of here, home to his mom, he has a weight problem worse than mine."

The funny part is that the fat guy was a Trumper who had just torn the sign out of the hands of a protester.
The sad part is that Trump, himself, is obese, but feels empowered to fat-shame people that are just like himself.

So don’t expect Melania to be devoting herself to a "healthy kids" campaign anytime soon. Oh wait, she didn’t hold back on starting an anti-bullying campaign.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

Not disagreeing with your general observation but just wanted to point out that the BMI can be very misleading especially for athletes and people with a lot of muscle mass.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
another visit from the covid gestapo, this time with battering rams and outright physical assault. covid is just the pretext, soon it will be for any reason they see fit.

Reactions: slamjunky

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
well in AUS, 65% of people are overweight or obese.
What kind of overweight are we talking about?

Not disagreeing with your general observation but just wanted to point out that the BMI can be very misleading especially for athletes and people with a lot of muscle mass.
Oh for sure. I just used it as an example, since it is the most common measure. Should never be the only one, of course, when we're talking about one's health state.

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
Sorry for not responding for quite some time @Sara X and @n00b . I was either too busy or when having free time not really down for reflecting on my past weeks and months after my covid infection a few months ago.

First of all you can see and read in the OP for all those who just started to read this thread, how I have been dealing with this disease which wasn't that mild after all. Hence I won't reiterate about my experiences during corona lengthy. Long story told short, minor breathing issues, exhaustion and just a general sense of, let's call it languor. I've realised btw that I can taste much better the past weeks as well, so that I must have been through some minor feeling of tastelessness or something similar during that time as well, although I haven't really noticed it then.

As for my lungs I do check them once in a while and the last check up has showed that they really have recovered, but still are a bit affected. I have stopped taking meds for months already and will receive treatment only through Traditional Chinese Medicine if anything. There is no need for medicaments anyway right now as well, since I don't feel acute symptoms.

It's September now and I have to admit that I felt quite drained during the Summer weeks and exhausted. I have become to be a sporty person the beginning of this year and started to train quite a lot. I couldn't do any exercise for weeks or months, which really didn't help my mood at all. Besides I had some personal issues anyway, so I really got exhausted for basically doing shit. I've done nothing and was the least productive my whole life from like mid March to end of July, but not because I did want to take such a break. My body just forced me to rest as much as possible.

Admittedly it was also a psychologically difficult time for me due to my limitations and constant exhaustion. A general feeling of weakness which reminded me quite of my mono I had a few years ago for like a month and half, just in an endless loop this time. Thanks to my help of my girlfriend, family and close friends I've been through this - yeah - depression. Once I could have started with sports again I realised that my lungs have suffered some damage. Barely could run for a few seconds even after before running like 15 kms in February, it kept like this for a whole month I would say.

So to abbreviate everything from my infection till my 'recovering' lasted like two months and the recovering from the recovering another two months at least. My doctors have admitted the last time I've met them that they initially underestimated my covid infection too and they would have acted differently now. As for now I'm doing thankfully very great, doing every second day sports. Got a job back at uni and I'm tasting well, smelling well. Got a check up once every month to see the progress and I'm much happier and more energetic now. Something I haven't felt for a few weeks to months thanks to, once again, very amazing people.

I hope you guys are doing great and don't get dragged too much into it. I just had this very nasty disease at an incredible awful time and we all in my environment have underestimated it. However, guys, good times are coming once then.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Thanks to my help of my girlfriend, family and close friends I've been through this - yeah - depression. Once I could have started with sports again I realised that my lungs have suffered some damage. Barely could run for a few seconds even after before running like 15 kms in February, it kept like this for a whole month I would say.
You're welcome. Nice to know you're doing great:)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thank you for being so open and well articulated on everything @IBM, that's highly appreciated by me, and by lots of others here as well, I'm 100% positive about that.

It's good to hear that everything has turned out well for you by now, and I hope that even more of those good things are yet about to come your way.

·
53,053 Posts
It's because of the slowness of rate at which people die from obesity. Most people will die of other causes which may be linked and more acute (heart disease for example). They will throw lots of money at cancer because people of the perceived time limit and poor prognosis if untreated.

BMI is also supposedly racist according to our new woke elite 🙄

Some ideas which have weight, no pun intended, but with some overreaching conclusions, to put it lightly.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
It's because of the slowness of rate at which people die from obesity. Most people will die of other causes which may be linked and more acute (heart disease for example). They will throw lots of money at cancer because people of the perceived time limit and poor prognosis if untreated.

Some ideas which have weight, no pun intended, but with some overreaching conclusions, to put it lightly.
Tragic.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
The wedding in Maine has been linked to 147 Covid cases. In addition to infected guests, 72 cases are associated with the prison where one of the wedding guest works; another 15 cases of infection are associated with two nursing homes, the staff of which was in contact with some guests. 10 more cases were recorded at the Church. The church's pastor conducted the wedding ceremony.

A Maine wedding is linked to 147 coronavirus cases and 3 deaths. Infections spilled over into a jail and 2 nursing homes.

·
53,053 Posts
The wedding in Maine has been linked to 147 Covid cases. In addition to infected guests, 72 cases are associated with the prison where one of the wedding guest works; another 15 cases of infection are associated with two nursing homes, the staff of which was in contact with some guests. 10 more cases were recorded at the Church. The church's pastor conducted the wedding ceremony.

A Maine wedding is linked to 147 coronavirus cases and 3 deaths. Infections spilled over into a jail and 2 nursing homes.
yeah now is not really the right time for large wedding ceremonies. Pastor did not heed to conventional wisdom either, wonder if he would recant his statement on masks in hindsight.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
That Maine incident reminded me of this: It's proposed that a conference in February could be linked to tens of thousands of cases

The study posted on Tuesday has yet to be peer-reviewed and published in a scientific journal. It also doesn't specifically refer to Biogen, referring to the conference as an "international business conference held in Boston."
"We're not trying to point fingers," Bronwyn MacInnis, director of pathogen surveillance told the Globe. "Some [viral] introductions fizzle out, others light fires. The circumstances of this event ― the fact that it happened so early in the epidemic and the timing of where we were with COVID in the public consciousness ― meant it had a disproportionate effect. It happened in a city that wasn't 'woke.' "
Researchers at the Broad Institute of Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology studied the genome of 772 coronavirus samples from people in Boston from January and May.

More than a third of the samples collected were infected with a strain of the virus that could be traced to the conference.

From the 289 cases that could be traced to the conference, 122 of the samples were from people living and working in Boston-area homeless shelters, the study reported.
"I'm confident that the scale for measuring this event is in the tens of thousands," Dr. Jacob Lemieux, an infectious disease physician at Massachusetts General Hospital told the Globe.

Caroline Buckee, a professor of epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health did not have anything to do with the study but told the Globe that the findings seem probable. She received a copy of the study before it appeared Tuesday on a preprint server.
"Super-spreading is really a key component of how we ended up with an epidemic of this gravity," Buckee said. "If you think about it, all the cases in the whole world originated from one case. That's the nature of the exponential growth of epidemics."

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
3041 - 3060 of 3095 Posts