Mens Tennis Forums banner

2721 - 2740 of 2780 Posts

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I respect what you think . From the looks Covid is a worlwide health issue but not a worldwide problem . You are here comparing overall global deaths with covid deaths. In reality of those 600k at least 500k are just from 16 or so countries alone.

Just saying
In fact, if true, that actually supports my claim.
Because a whole lot more than 16 countries took exaggerated measures to "stop the spread" while greatly impacting all the non-covid deaths in the process.
Your flag is from Argentina, a country that is a clear example of what I'm saying.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Next we will hear is the death of elders will not count as they are not productive to society anymore.
You are completely distorting what I am saying.
Of course every death counts, what I find ridiculous is that we only seem to care about the covid deaths now. When 98.2% of deaths so far this year are completely unrelated to covid.

Even the most "generous" death counts have been corroborated by excess death mortality, whether one like it or not.
Do you have any data of worlwide excess mortality this year?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You are completely distorting what I am saying.
Of course every death counts, what I find ridiculous is that we only seem to care about the covid deaths now. When 98.2% of deaths so far this year are completely unrelated to covid.

Do you have any data of worlwide excess mortality this year?
Thanks.
My post is not related to yours, it was more directed towards the disgression made by medias recently involving elderly people.

No data that i have seen worldwide unfortunately but in Europe, even Belgium who counted their casualties "generously" were in line with excess mortality.. but now there are papers telling you they counted the death in UK too generously, give me a break, unless they want to erase people in nursing home...

I'm totally with you as far as counting only death from covid with the media hype going with it, it's problematic how they influence the population but then again there are always 2 sides of the story and many countries haven't counted their casualties properly as well.

·
Registered
11,809 Posts

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The concern is not regarding their antiviral properties, but whether or not there's sufficient evidence to their effectiveness in treatment and prevention of the specific disease. Randomized trials showing inconclusive results even today. A few months ago, when he first made his very public announcements, there probably were very few of them completed if any. Obviously, he's entitled to his medical opinion. He may even be right. But no doctor can claim to find a solution based solely on observations in his own clinic without raising questions about his professional objectivity and ethics.
True, just heard about the possible use of a cancer-drug. Worked phenomenally well in comparison and together with Remdesivir when applied directly to infected cells (Remdesivir also had a near perfect effect on the viral replication there and we know how vague its effect is in patient).

The theory behind the possible use of that drug is the potentially benefitial influence of its side-effects (acts immunosuppressive) in later stages of the infection while the anti-viral properties inhibit the viral replication early on. This is probably the best example for a drug that requires proper trials for its use against COVID despite a general admission, given how double-edged and potentially harmful its side-effects can be.

The results for HCQ with Zinc look pretty good though, but overall there are probably too many conflicting interests regarding that drug (particularly from Gilead).

Reactions: Monsi

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
True, just heard about the possible use of a cancer-drug. Worked phenomenally well in comparison and together with Remdesivir when applied directly to infected cells (Remdesivir also had a near perfect effect on the viral replication there and we know how vague its effect is in patient).

The theory behind the possible use of that drug is the potentially benefitial influence of its side-effects (acts immunosuppressive) in later stages of the infection while the anti-viral properties inhibit the viral replication early on. This is probably the best example for a drug that requires proper trials for its use against COVID despite a general admission, given how double-edged and potentially harmful its side-effects can be.

The results for HCQ with Zinc look pretty good though, but overall there are probably too many conflicting interests regarding that drug (particularly from Gilead).
Welp, given all the craziness going on right now, I wouldn't be too shocked if the idea of using immunosuppressants in novel settings without years of trials gets traction. Feels like research waste generation hit a whole new level in the past couple of months. I'm pretty used to it in other less vital fields, but witnessing the same patterns in medicine is frightening. There's too much ego, attention seeking, and competitiveness, and not enough collaboration. On a personal level, too. Even before we talk about global economical and political conflicts of interest, which are enormous. For that reason developing and approving a reliable treatment in a somewhat timely manner will be extremely difficult.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Welp, given all the craziness going on right now, I wouldn't be too shocked if the idea of using immunosuppressants in novel settings without years of trials gets traction. Feels like research waste generation hit a whole new level in the past couple of months. I'm pretty used to it in other less vital fields, but witnessing the same patterns in medicine is frightening. There's too much ego, attention seeking, and competitiveness, and not enough collaboration. On a personal level, too. Even before we talk about global economical and political conflicts of interest, which are enormous. For that reason developing and approving a reliable treatment in a somewhat timely manner will be extremely difficult.
I read somewhere you need up to 200 publications to obtain consensus in science these days, so they love to publish their crap. And with all the conflict of interests that are going on, you come up to the conclusion there is barely anyone you can trust other than yourself.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,731
NoMaskSelfie is a TT in England, scenes. They seem like they hated the thing, and the obligation which started today was only regarded indoors. At least it is a way of saying to the British govt 'this is as far as you can go, don't ever think about outdoors' Love British people, they know what rights they have got.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
NoMaskSelfie is a TT in England, scenes. They seem like they hated the thing, and the obligation which started today was only regarded indoors. At least it is a way of saying to the British govt 'this is as far as you can go, don't ever think about outdoors' Love British people, they know what rights they have got.
They have a point. What does agreeing to 1000 £ (?) fines for something without even a proper (scientific) foundation signalize to the government? I mean where is this supposed to stop when you already accept rules as arbritary as this just because governments believe it increases their popularity.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,733
They have a point. What does agreeing to 1000 £ (?) fines for something without even a proper (scientific) foundation signalize to the government? I mean where is this supposed to stop when you already accept rules as arbritary as this just because governments believe it increases their popularity.
At least the UK is democratic enough to list these

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
At least the UK is democratic enough to list these
Ain't you happy you're not living in the UK? Your trick with a drink wouldn't fly there since it wasn't strictly necessary. 🤪

Reactions: ne znam ali mozda

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,735
Ain't you happy you're not living in the UK? Your trick with a drink wouldn't fly there since it wasn't strictly necessary. 🤪
well this is only indoors in the UK, but in the case of its implementation to outdoors, I would then go with the third exception, “if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause a severe distress” and it does, without even joking. My walks were my everything and it ruins it.

Since they have these exceptions, I would say it is merely advisory and more encouraging version of 'masks are good, but do whatever you like, you know the best my people'

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,263 Posts

·
Registered
5,974 Posts

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,739
Arancha González Laya is a fine minister, dude. @Bakano she is rocking today in Ankara, very charismatic woman. Thanked to TR for their help during the peak of covid in Spain.

·
RAVE ON
18,758 Posts
According to this Chinese virologist escaped from Hong Kong, she said she has the evidence that coronavirus didn't originate from the Wuhan market nor from the nature...
You gave a link that you have to pay for, or you can not read it. What does it say?

2721 - 2740 of 2780 Posts